P99 Striker Reset Problem - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #1

matquig .22
P99 Striker Reset Problem

During a single action trigger pull, the trigger/striker drops and goes into a reset for double action, with pressure against the trigger felt by the trigger finger. Simply letting up at that point results in a reset to D/A. Anyone else had this happen, and what is the fix? I have tried changing out the striker assembly with a new one, but that did not fix the problem or have any effect.
matquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

wbrian .22
Call Walther USA.
308fan likes this.
wbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #3

matquig .22
I figured the people on this board have more knowledge and experience with a first gen P99 than Walther USA. That would be about as bad as calling S&W to fix a Walther, and they were responsible for doing that for a number of years longer than Walther USA has been around.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #4

shelbyv8 .22
Are you talking about during firing or dry firing. If it is during dry firing this is correct.
shelbyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #5

matquig .22
During firing. When squeezing slightly from the S/A position after firing a shot, drawing the striker back, the mode goes back to D/A, as stopping at that point your finger feels the spring engage, one can move the trigger finger forward and let the striker down, back to D/A mode. You cannot stay in S/A mode after firing the first shot.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The striker is dragging the trigger bar forward with it.

Chances are that the trigger bar is canted over sideways enough to obstruct forward passage of the striker.

M
PPS1980 likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; 01-20-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Correction: More precise description
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #7

matquig .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
The striker is dragging the trigger bar forward with it.

Chances are that the trigger bar is canted over sideways enough to obstruct forward passage of the striker.

M
Best analysis to date. Do you handle such problems, in which case I could send it to you. If you don't gunsmith for others, and you have handled this type of repair, what must I do to correct it?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

balance .22
Since this is a 1st gen pistol, I'd suggest first looking at the sear housing. Check to make sure it isn't cracked. The 1st gen model had a squared edge that, when impacted enough times reassembling the slide to the frame, could develop a crack.

Look at the first picture on this thread:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...-assembly.html

Whether this is the issue on your pistol or not, keep this in mind when reassembling a 1st gen P99 pistol.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #9

wbrian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by matquig View Post
Best analysis to date. Do you handle such problems, in which case I could send it to you. If you don't gunsmith for others, and you have handled this type of repair, what must I do to correct it?
Back to my post. I was not trying to be a smart A. Your pistol is covered by Walther. Their CS has improved, and it needs to be fixed.
wbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #10

matquig .22
No cracks. I have a very conditioned trigger finger control that can control the trigger very slowly. In the past, I have been able to have a very nice let off on the single action pull. Now, and noticeably different, after reset and take up, but a bit before you get to the single action let off, the striker "drops" back on to the double action contact, and you feel extra weight on the trigger pull, making the letoff heavier than before if you hold and pull the trigger through the rest of the trigger pull.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99