Walther vs. S& W pistols - compare / contrast for me - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 02:07 PM   #1

Guevera .22
Walther vs. S& W pistols - compare / contrast for me

In the absence of any stocking Walther dealers in my area I was considering a full-size and a compact S&W99 that is on the used board of my local gun store. I never have understood the relationship between Walther and Smith and Wesson and how these lines crossed with the S&W version of the P99.

Should I expect the same performance from the S&W version, or is it somehow inferior?

I recall that the finish from the two gun makers is similar, but not exactly the same ? can someone qualify this for me?

The ?Walther? markings on the S&W are confusing ? is it the case that some parts are made by Walther and some by S&W? This doesn?t seem to make a lot of sense, but I would like to know the story.

Since I am already set up with holsters and magazines for full and compact P99s, is there any reason (other than brand loyality to Walther ? some call this snobbery) why I should not buy either of the S&W pistols, provided I can get a good price on them?

These two S&Ws have been in stock for a while and I suspect the M&P has completely bowled over the market for S&W polymer pistols. This store is promoting the M&P heavily as well.

Your thoughts and assistance in putting this all in perspective and comparing / contrasting the two similar products from two makers would be much appreciated.
Guevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #2

blueiron Unproven
Walther has contracted with Smith and Wesson as its agent in North America for marketing and sales of some of its coomercial pistols.

Walther P99 pistols and all the S&W P99 series of pistol frames are made in Germany and imported here. The S&W pistols get slides and barrels made by S&W.

Federal law requires any firearm imported into the U.S. to be stamped/marked with the name/city/state of the importer. There are two importers in the U.S., one is S&W [that is why you see Smith markings on the forward right side of the slide. The other is Earl's Repair Service [ERS] in Tewksbury, MA. ERS does import other Walther weapons and the P99.

Different people have different opinions. I feel the quality is the same. Many denigrate the Smith guns because of the Clinton agreement or the allure of an imported gun, but I have seen no demostrative difference.

The metal treatments are a different process, but both equally good. The S&W slide is stainless steel.

The Walther P99 series didn't make a big impression in the L.E. market and Smith came out with the M&P to regain the L.E. market from Glock.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #3

Guevera .22
Your comment about the metal finishes is particulary interesting to me. Living here in the sweaty South I have a serious horror of things rusting. Would you say the finish of the S&W and the Walther are comparable to that on the Glock pistols? I always considered that the gold standard of hard and corrosion resistant finishes on a firearm.
Guevera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Supporting Member

uncut .22

Walther's are teniffer treated.... which is not a surface treatment but will intermix with the metal and acts as a rustinhibitor.....

S&W's are made of SS and then treated.... forgot the term they use.....

I think with propper care you would not need to worry about either finish starting to rust....

Nothing but the best for the best
Old 05-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #5

PX15 Unproven
FWIW:

Can't speak for "long term issues" regarding the P99/AS and the SW99, but I can give you my opinion based on a short term comparison between the two.

I've had a P99/AS (and a P99c/AS) for several months now, and my buddy has had his SW99 for approximately the same amount of time.

He and I shoot quite often behind his home (we live in a rural area) and for all practical purposes it seems both pistols are about equal in performance. I like the Walther because I like Walthers, but he's completely happy with his SW99..

I like his lifetime warranty better than I like the one year warranty on my Walthers, but my experience has been that if a problem is likely to show up it will do so within a year.

The only problems I've had with my Walther P99's is that I get frustrated when I cannot take advantage of the inherent amazing accuracy of the pistols. I've never owned a pistol, or pistols, as accurate right out of the box as both of my Walther P99's.

I think you would be well served with either a P99/AS or an SW99.

JMOFO

J. Pomeroy
Old 05-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #6

ShipWreck .22
The finishes are almost identical on the metal slide - S&W uses melonite - which is just the american version of tennifer basically.

I like the looks of the Walther more - but I too first bought a SW99 in 2005 when I couldn't at first locate a P99 A/S.

I hard chromed all of my polymer 99s - Here is a pic

(no more holster wear now)

Old 05-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #7

Parabellus .22
Darn!

Looks like all S&W has anymore is the W&W990L compact with 'short double-action trigger'. Sounds like QA?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15708

Ant they want $750 for it!

Russell
Parabellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #8

ShipWreck .22
Its not $750 - MSRP is always $200 or more than street value.

There is a SW990L in my town for sale for $575. That is still too high.

Yes - the SW990: is S&W's version of the QA - it just has NO decocker at all.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #9

Parabellus .22
Hi ShipWreck,

Here in the PRK I think of the 'street' market as illegal underground gun dealers. Of course I won't go there. All the licensed shops seem to like prices close to MSRP. Case in point: a P99-QA or AS lists on Walther America for $665 and the only outlet within driving distance wants $642 and has only the QA.
The only thing more outrageous than Kalifornia firearm laws is how much our residents are willing to pay for one.

Russell
Parabellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #10

SladeRandall .22
P99 Compact - Holsters?

Does anyone know the correct application for a Fobus holster or really any brand that will fit a P99 "C" (Compact)?????
SladeRandall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99