Is the P99 RAD a possible build? - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #21

ShipWreck .22
Well, if the slide comes on and off the gun and doesn't lock up, then dry firing with a snap cap, and testing out the DA and SA triggers that way would be the next step...
Register
Old 03-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #22

illmatic .22
I have done some of these things awhile back. I put the P99 Slide on the PPQ frame no problem. I racked the slide, cocking the striker, no problem. There was one kinda obvious problem though, the decocker doesn't work, But pulling the trigger did release the striker, allowing me to disassemble the gun and wipe the sweat from my forehead.
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #23

balance .22
Quote:
I have done some of these things awhile back. I put the P99 Slide on the PPQ frame no problem. I racked the slide, cocking the striker, no problem. There was one kinda obvious problem though, the decocker doesn't work, But pulling the trigger did release the striker, allowing me to disassemble the gun and wipe the sweat from my forehead.
The decocker worked on mine when I had the P99 AS slide on the PPQ frame. I also tried the pencil test and it shot it across the room, so I'd imagine that it would function this way.

There is a slight difference in the frames of the P99 and PPQ because of the different trigger safeties that are used in the two pistols. The P99 AS has a little more polymer cut out from where the trigger protrudes from the frame because that is the area that the trigger safety hits if the trigger bar is pulled back without pulling the trigger. It wouldn't be too hard to cut this area of the PPQ frame to match the P99 AS frame, but I'd imagine that just swapping parts would cause the trigger safety (or really the drop safety) to become useless, as the trigger wouldn't pivot down to block movement.

Other than that, just looking at the frames and internals, I think it is possible to do it.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #24

illmatic .22
Balance, I'll take your word for it that the decocker works, I do remember you saying this in a previous thread. In my nervousness I must not have pushed the decocker enough to activate it.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
WALTHER KING

TANFOGLIO .22
A P99 RAD is not a P99 and not a PPQ

A P99 RAD is a P99Q

P99Q vs PPQ
Old 03-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
WALTHER KING

TANFOGLIO .22
P99Q TRIGGER VIDEO

PPQ TRIGGER VIDEO
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #27

illmatic .22
Tanfoglio, I see I've been calling this gun by the wrong name.
Would you happen to know if the P99 AS parts ( AS trigger system and Trigger control) are interchangable with the PPQ frame?

Last edited by illmatic; 03-14-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #28

British Agent .22
Tan, I believe, has assembled those weapons to that configuration before but did not fire it, being a collector.

Happiness is a warm gun.
British Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #29

jonm61 .22
As long as the pins for the PPQ & the P99AS are in the same location on the frame, the internals can be swapped. The trigger clearance issue that Balance mentioned would need to be addressed. The top end of the P99AS has already been tested to fit the PPQ frame, so that's not an issue.

If you want a P99AS with a PPQ frame, you'd need to buy both guns, make the modifications and then you could attempt to sell off the remaining parts. You could also buy the PPQ and try to buy the AS upper and internals, but I think it would be cheaper to buy a used P99AS than to try to buy new parts.

The other option, of course, is to bombard Walther, Germany, not S&W, with requests for them to either update the AS. As the updates are cosmetic, I don't think they'd have any issues with ATF approval, where trying to get the P99Q approved, for instance, would be a cost that they are probably not willing to take on, because they consider the market to be satisfied with the AS.

If they would update the AS, I would buy a new one. I'd want them to update the C as well. If they did that, then the possibility of a PPQc would increase.
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #30

illmatic .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm61 View Post
As long as the pins for the PPQ & the P99AS are in the same location on the frame, the internals can be swapped. The trigger clearance issue that Balance mentioned would need to be addressed. The top end of the P99AS has already been tested to fit the PPQ frame, so that's not an issue.

If you want a P99AS with a PPQ frame, you'd need to buy both guns, make the modifications and then you could attempt to sell off the remaining parts. You could also buy the PPQ and try to buy the AS upper and internals, but I think it would be cheaper to buy a used P99AS than to try to buy new parts.
Thanks for the info, Your probably right about the pins. I wouldn't move forward with this experiment unless all parts fit in perfectly. I guess I could work with the trigger fit, doesn't seem like too much of a problem. I'm 50/50 whether I will ever do this, but if I do, I will share my progress with you guys. I will be very careful in testing this idea. Like I said, I will use twine to pull the trigger from a safe distance, probably behind a tree or something. We'll See. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Last edited by illmatic; 03-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page
how to build a p99q

p99 rad

p99 rad for sale

p99 rad vs ppq
p99 radom
polish radom p99
polish walter rad
rad p99 radom

walther p99 rad

walther p99 rad for sale

walther p99 radom for sale
walther p99q for sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.