Walther Forums banner

P99 gouging brass and jamming

8K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  Ziobrowskin 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently purchases a p99 QA in .40 and Ive put about 50 rounds through it. Ive notice that when i load 12 in the mag and then try to cycle the action manually by racking the slide it is very difficult and puts a large gash in the brass of the cartridge that is visible if i lock the slide back looking down at that top round. I can feel this gash with not only my finger nail but my finger tip so it is really deep.

There is also a lot of deposit of said brass on the underside of the slide where that bar pushes against the cartridges in the mag. That bar doesnt feel rough or anything but it is taking some serious metal off the shells.

another thing is it hasnt jammed on my when firing but when i cycle it back and let it go about 40% of the time jams up. the feed ramp is polished and smooth as ever, so im not sure the problem. Im using Remington 180 gr range stuff.

If anyone can help me out i would be very grateful i just bought this thing and already have so many problems with it.

Thanks
Nick

the attached pictures are a cartridge and the underside of the slide with the brass all over from about 10 rounds

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not sure about the damage to the brass, but as far as it jamming when you hand cycle it, that could be something as simple as you're riding the slide, rather than pulling it all the way back and letting it go. If it's not getting full spring power to pull that slide back forward, it may not have enough momentum to feed properly.

As long as it doesn't misfeed when you're shooting, don't worry about it.

I'm sure someone will be along that can answer the question about the brass. I've never seen that, at least not that deep.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input, the jamming was the least of my issues and youre right as long as it doesnt jam while using it im fine with that.

This gun was pre-owned but looks new, no damage or wear. I took apart the mags and they seem fine although the very top of one of them was slight more bend upward than the other one. when i reassemble them it didnt seem to make a difference in the positioning of the follower so i dont really think thats an issue.

I talked to Earl's repair shop and sent them the same picture and they said it was not normal either. Im going to send it to them to see whats up in a couple days till then hopefully someone can help me out and give me some piece of mind it what was going to be my daily carry... not so sure now. Maybe its the desert polymer haha

#6 ·
Thanks for the input, the jamming was the least of my issues and youre right as long as it doesnt jam while using it im fine with that.

This gun was pre-owned but looks new, no damage or wear. I took apart the mags and they seem fine although the very top of one of them was slight more bend upward than the other one. when i reassemble them it didnt seem to make a difference in the positioning of the follower so i dont really think thats an issue.

I talked to Earl's repair shop and sent them the same picture and they said it was not normal either. Im going to send it to them to see whats up in a couple days till then hopefully someone can help me out and give me some piece of mind it what was going to be my daily carry... not so sure now. Maybe its the desert polymer haha
Don't send it to Earl's, send it to S&W. Odds are, whatever the problem is, they'll not only fix it for free, they'll pay for shipping. I'd be surprised if Earl does either. 800-372-6454

Now I'm curious to see your answer to Iron Man's question. If it's only happening on the mag where the feed lips are bent up a little more, then that might explain it.

#7 ·
Thanks for the quick responses

previously i talked to Earls they said to call S&W i called them after literially 45 mins on hold i was told that i could ship it to them but it was not covered under warranty because it was over a year old, and they if it was a minor problem they "might" fix it for free, but otherwise i would have to pay and it could take 3 months. Called Earl back and asked them again about it and they said it would likely cost about 75 bucks but would be done in two days. So its a gamble with S&W could be for free... could take 3 months... i dont know what to do.

Does it with both Mags, both mags are Mec-Gar Italian made Walther P99 Mags. Subsequent rounds are still scratched but not as pronounced as the first one (still kinda bad though)

p.s. this is an all German stamped Walther with S&W import stamp on the slide. I was made in Germany in 2005 it has the darker of the blue followers in the mag so not the newest but newer.

#8 · (Edited)
While I'm not the biggest fan of S&W, I don't recall anyone here reporting that, short of obvious user error, had to pay for a repair on a gun they sent in. And while it could well take a month, more often it's a week or two.

It's up to you, but personally, I'd go with S&W. I sent my 2007 built P99, which I bought used in 2009 and my 2009 built P99c, which I purchased new this year, in for a variety of issues. I got the P99c back in 2 weeks and the P99 back in 4 or 5 weeks, both fixed at no charge.

I've also sent in my SW22A, which I have no idea on how old it is, but that I bought used and they replaced the barrel assembly (which on that gun is more than just the barrel) again at no charge. That one I fully expect to pay $175 for based on my own research.

The answers you get are frequently hit or miss, depending on who you get when you call. If you called back now and got someone else, you'd probably get a different answer.

As far as the followers in the mags, I don't know what's up with that. My P99 came with the light blue followers, but my P99c came with the dark blue ones.

#9 ·
What kind of issues did you have with your P99?

Also i was a bit surprised to hear S&W say that they might cover it, because ive heard from others that they will fix most anything for free. Maybe i just got the guy who forgot his lunch that day or something.

also not the biggest S&W fan... Thats why i bought a Walther haha!

P.S. i dont believe that this could have been user error the gun doesnt have a mark on it and i lubricated properly after good cleaning to see if that would solve anything.

#10 ·
My magazine release levers were warped and I have a rust issue on my full size, which I also think needs a new recoil spring. Which reminds me, I need to call them back.

When I sent them in, I sent all of my magazines in and asked that they make sure they all had the current followers and good springs, because I had 3 different followers among all of the magazines. On the full size, they replaced several of the magazines. Why they didn't just change the followers, I don't know, but that's what they did.

#11 · (Edited)
Odd, my first gen has had several thousand rounds through it. I finally wore out my slide stop (the slide would release when I would put a loaded magazine into the grip) and talked to Walther America who said it is not covered under warranty because the pistol is more than one year old. So, I purchased a new slide stop release and spring and will install it myself. I'm guessing they aren't consistent with who they charge and when.

But, back to the OP, it sounds like a magazine issue. There is nothing about the weapon itself that would cause this type of action.

If you will notice, the inside of my slides looks just like the inside of yours. Except the one on the right is to my PPQ. This photo was taken before it was fired.

#12 ·
Iron man.

I see that huh thats good yours look the same one less thing to worry about. However i still believe that ramp is the problem because when i rack the slide back with 12 in the mag i can see the damage done to the cartridge before it enters the chamber. Also i know the cartridge isnt spining because i marked the back with a sharpy thinking it could have been caused by the mag leads or something else. The weird this is is there is no rough patch on the ramp its pretty smooth and i wouldnt expect it to be problem.

Then again im kind of a novice this is only my second gun and my first handgun. Ive been around then quite a bit in the last five years and never seen something gouge brass this badly.

Jonm61

Thats great that s&w would do all that for you im feeling much better about sending mine in. Hopefully it will all work out and i can get another 50 or 5000 rounds through her.

Anywho sending it to s&w Monday

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Im hoping to find a p88 sometime if anyone has one a reasonable price.

#13 ·
I had a similar problem with a Para Ordnance P16.40. The recoil spring and the magazine had to be replaced. If it is doing exactly as you describe I would bet the recoil spring was messed with prior to you buying it. The cartridge is not hitting the ramp with enough speed to launch it out of the magazine and into battery without a problem. Another thing to check is inside the top of the back of your barrel. If cleaned incorrectly, or dirty, there could be a barb or rough spot in the chamber causing this to occur. One thing for sure, the scratch is NOT coming from your slide.

#14 ·
Iron Man brings up a good point. Field strip the gun, thoroughly inspect the chamber end of the barrel and then test fit a few rounds by just dropping them into the chamber (while it's out of the gun, naturally...). See if they fall into the chamber nicely or if they're catching on something.

#15 ·
more than likely it is not the recoil spring at all and likely it is the slide.

first and foremost i'll say this. why is it that some have a need to fully load a new(or used) pistol with live ammo and then proceed to rack and rack trying to see if it functions by simply unloading the mag. that's not really how a pistol functions. you are not testing the pistols reliability that way.

it is bad form and i can't say how many times i've heard of people doing this. first of all,by it's very nature you are riding the slide forward. second,believe it or not,and this may blow your mind because i'm pretty sure you won't believe it,you are putting a particular stress on the extractor that is not the norm. third,you could very well possibly push in a bullet and not even notice it and then eventually fire it,not to mention other spots around the case that can burr,dents,etc.. all bad,all of it.

if you really want to practise certain training drills,buy yourself a bunch of snapcaps,at least those weigh next to nothing.

here's what i would do before sending out. first,completely take apart your mags and inspect them thoroughly paying close attention to any possible imperfections or burrs around the followers,clean and lube(dry) and make sure nothing is binding and everything perfect,..then load them to full capacity and put them away for at least two weeks(you have a party date to go to?,..be patient)

next,use a magnifying glass and your fingers and see if there's a burr of some kind underneath the slide(i'm sure you know where i mean,that shinny part that's causing the issue). even if you don't see anything,get some flitz metal polish or some 2000 grit sandpaper and just polish this area only from end to end. note that i do not say to take of metal,just polish and get it smooth. if you do notice something rough or uneven,you can start with coarser grit at first. when your done,clean and lube anew. basically you want this very smooth but more even than a baby's bottom.

next,go to the range,load the mags and shoot the pistol,..don't rack the slide any more than once to chamber a round and when you do,rack the slide all the way back and release sharply,...fire,..and continue to fire.

#16 ·
Jonm61,
I have taken the gun apart and tried what you said before and it is a little rough on the roof of the chamber, i think that this might be why it jams now and again. I have also cleaned and relubricated it twice just to make sure. (its now running a little wet)
Iron man, I thought about that as well but i assure you the spring is still very stong and does not seem tampered with. There is one thing that is certain it is, as priler says, it is the slide that is causing this damage to the casing. As i stated before you can see the damage from the slide when you slide it back and lock it without chambering the first round.

To address Priler,
I have left the mags full for the last two weeks and there has been no real change in the gouging. I have, as previously stated, taken both mags apart and noticed a slight difference in the spring in the but it does not affect the gouging or the jamming, they both act the same. I have checked for burrs and scratches and there are none in the mags they have been lubricated per the instruction manual and there are no stuck points on hesitation to eject around if prodded with my finger. I have examined the underside of the slide with 3.25 times magnification glasses on (found them at work) and i did not notice anything extremely rough or burr like. If i run my finger down the slide it doesnt feel rough. As for doing some high grit sanding I would feel more comfortable sending it to S&W, hearing what they have to say, and then making a decision about it then.

I took my P99 to a local gun shop today and talked to the gunsmith there. He agreed that I should send it to S&W because he had never seen gouging so severe before. I do agree with you that there is no party to go to and that is why I am willing to ship it to S&W, make sure the work is done right by someone very familiar with this type of firearm, and then be reassured that it is in proper functioning form to be used as my CCW.

I also agree with you that racking the slide manually is relatively unnecessary, but if you had viewed my earlier posts you would have seen that I conceded that earlier today.

I did not really appreciate the tone in which your response was written, my mind was not blown, nor did I find anything you said unbelievable. I was merely joining a forum to discuss my recently purchased handgun and assumed I would be treated with respect as a fellow Walther lover and owner. If I have misinterpreted your writing style then I apologize but to me it seemed to be deconstructive criticism, while everyone else seems very positive and forthcoming with information that could help me resolve my issues with great piece of German engineering.

Thanks,
Nick

#17 ·
sorry Ziobrowskin,emotions and tones don't work well on forums but i was just generalizing on how many times i've seen in front of me or from many on forums how they just got their new $900 sig(or whatever) and instead of going to the range and firing their new pistol,the first thing they do is load up all the mags they just bought and just rack away and then say,oh look,it works,..as if that was some kind of proper functional test and not actually realizing that's not really a good thing to do. so,my apologies if i came off too strong or sarcastic,which reading my post again i can see how it could be taken.

your p99 might have several things converging on the closer side of spec clearences or more than likely it is the slide,it makes contact with the top round in the mag and there's some pressure there. it more than likely,even if you don't see it,may also be uneven or slightly off in that area. keep in mind that spot normally get shinny and normally worn-in with just use,starting with some coarse sandpaper and then polishing well might solve the issue. however,i can certainly understand your reluctance. try and get the prepaid shipping from s&w,they're good with that.

let us know what they do.i'm always interested in how s&w treats customers.

oh,and welcome:).

#18 ·
Yeah i know what you mean about the slide and that shinny ramp (no idea what it is call even though i know exactly what it does) is definitely the problem, like you say. Even though it doesn't seem rough there has to be something there.

Ill keep you posted on S&W

Thanks

#19 ·
S&W is sending me a shipping label in a week. The guy i talked to this time seemed much more willing to work with me than the last person. He also seemed more knowledgable about the problem and it seemed to me he was saying that S&W would fix the problem free of charge. Ill update as soon as i hear more.

Thanks again for all the help

#20 ·
This often seems to be the case ... and the luck of the draw. In dealing with the S&W crew, it sometimes pays big dividends to simply terminate the conversation with Customer Service Rep. No. 1, call back, and take your chances with Customer Service Rep. No. 2. It shouldn't work that way, of course, but it's often the case.

#22 ·
We should really be recording the names of both and reporting them to Kate, so she has customer comments to justify firing #1 and praising #2.

#24 ·
Having spent time supervising customer service & sales, I appreciated the negatives as much, if not more, than the positives...because I already new who the good ones were, as I did the bad ones, who didn't last. Mediocre is harder to ferret out without customer feedback.

I skipped ahead above. Before firing, #1 gets "retrained", so negative feedback helps to identify "training opportunities".

#25 ·
So while i was prepping my P99 to ready it for shipping i noticed something i had never seen before and that was a crack in my polymer under the front friction point.

dont want to be a worry wort, just wondering if anyone else has this kind of missing polymer, its about half of that on the other side.

Picture shoes what im talking about.

Attachments

#29 ·
ok so the first two pictures are of the right side of my p99 if you were looking at it from the back the last pic is from the left side. It almost seems like the polymer has broken off a little and the metal from the friction points is showing through it... kind of worrying...

thanks for any input or help anyone might have. Still waiting to ship it back to smith and wesson havent received their mailer yet but this will go in my letter to them along with the other problems im having.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.