At the Range with the P 99 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #1

Barbarian .22
At the Range with the P 99

Several of my buddies and i went to the range the other day. One of my buddies was shooting his Wilson EDC X 9. I let him shoot my P 99, which has a stainless steel recoil assembly and a TLR -7 attached to it adding about 3-4 ounces to it. ( You can add 4 ounces simply by adding a TLR- 1 to the pistol.) Anyway, after he shot it, he asked me who did the action job on it. He was surprised by the 4lb sa trigger. I told him no one; the pistol comes that way out of the box.
Since then I have ordered and received the tungsten recoil assembly from Earls. They assured me that neither the stainless steel one or the tungsten one will harm the pistol. I have seen no ill effects from either. The tungsten one seems to give the pistol a better balance and cuts down the muzzle flip a bit. It is the heavier recoil assembly. You still have to let the sights settle for the next shot though.
The P 99 now competes with the HK P 2000 ( Lazy Wolf $300 action job - 12 month wait ) for my attention. I think the P 99 is one heck of a overlooked pistol by the market.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #2

muckaleewarrior71 .22
My P99 and P99c have been shooting like butter for nearly five years. I enjoy the single action on both more than my PPQ. Both have a BT guide rod in them and normally my P99 has a TLR- 3 attached to it because that's how I keep it ready to go on the other side of my home. Great guns!
MangoMike likes this.

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #3

PPS1980 .22
My P99 is my EDC when I can carry large. It's so good that my other weapons struggle for range time. To the amazement of my shooting buddies, me being a "Walther Man", I haven't shown the least interest in any of the PPQs - and once they fire my P99 they understand completely the reasons why
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckaleewarrior71 View Post
My P99 and P99c have been shooting like butter for nearly five years. I enjoy the single action on both more than my PPQ. Both have a BT guide rod in them and normally my P99 has a TLR- 3 attached to it because that's how I keep it ready to go on the other side of my home. Great guns!

I am a bit of a closet HK fanboy. I admire their build quality, reliability and design. But...and it's a big but...the P99s trigger is simply better.

For me, the P99 is still the better practical and instinctive shooter. It's easier for me to shoot well with it than with HKs DA/SA stuff.
muckaleewarrior71 likes this.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

wbrian .22
Yes - the P99 has little downside as far as practical shooting and the SA is amazing. I also like the LONG paddles and placement of the decocker (I don't have RDS). The ONE flaw I'd saw is a tad too much over travel in DA and some stacking at the end of the DA pull in many guns. BUT, that does not affect practical accuracy that much.

My old Gen1 is the best.

Last edited by wbrian; 10-18-2019 at 10:35 AM.
wbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #6

balance .22
All DA/SA pistols should have more overtravel in the DA trigger pull than the SA trigger pull, as the hammer/striker is released earlier on the DA trigger pull.

I agree about the stacking, but that is very difficult to take out of the design, as the spring pressure rises as it compresses.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

wbrian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
All DA/SA pistols should have more overtravel in the DA trigger pull than the SA trigger pull, as the hammer/striker is released earlier on the DA trigger pull.

I agree about the stacking, but that is very difficult to take out of the design, as the spring pressure rises as it compresses.
I generally agree. However, I have some DA pistols with very minimal OT in DA. I also have felt SOME P99s that had minimal stacking. I think somehow, there is enough deviation in the striker and DA sear interface that it can be minimized.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #8

balance .22
All I can think of here is have you tried adjusting the trigger bar guide? That amount it was adjusted my be why some 99-series pistols have more or less than others on the DA trigger pull.

If you do adjust it be careful not to go too far, otherwise the striker will catch on the SA sear.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

wbrian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
All I can think of here is have you tried adjusting the trigger bar guide? That amount it was adjusted my be why some 99-series pistols have more or less than others on the DA trigger pull.

If you do adjust it be careful not to go too far, otherwise the striker will catch on the SA sear.
I've tried - backed it almost all the way out and all the way in - I can only make overtravel worse.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #10

PPS1980 .22
Just got to the range for the first time in 4 weeks (illnesses in the family and other stuff) and put 100 rounds through the P99AS (and 100 through my first AR build).

I thought about the issues raised here and I have minimal stacking with my P99 in DA mode. SA is delightful with a very crisp break and nearly no over-travel. Is it $5000 crazy useless target pistol delightful? Nope. Is is better than nearly all my other duty weapons? Yes. Bottom line, it works, is consistent, is reliable, and is gosh darn accurate. The decocker makes is FAR superior for me to is crippled offspring. Perhaps I got a great example? My P99c trigger is not quite as good; but then again it has 1/5th the rounds through it (haven't had is nearly as long).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99