Field stripping - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

amar711 .22
Field stripping

So I was reading the P99AS manual online and noticed for cleaning you need to disassemble the decocker. From the pics and instructions in the owners manual it looked unnecessarily complicated or tricky. Am I wrong?
amar711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
You're not wrong. My rule is to disassemble the decocker for cleaning after 10,000 rounds.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #3

balance .22
I haven't opened up the owners manual in a while, but I remember that it gave instructions on how to disassemble the slide far enough to take the striker assembly out of the pistol. I'd say this is beyond a simple "field strip" though.

To field strip the pistol, you would only need to break the pistol down into three parts/assemblies. Which would be the barrel, slide, and frame.

I'd suggest taking the striker assembly out of the slide and cleaning it every few thousand rounds, or less if you are in environments that are Sandy, muddy, etc. I will say that the lowest round count P99 I've heard of that a dirty striker assembly caused issues was around 10k rounds without being cleaned.

When taking the striker assembly out of the slide, the decocker comes off as well. If it is off of the slide, you may as well clean it as well, but I don't remember ever hearing of anyone having issues on a P99 because they didn't clean the decocker.

This design seems to function well, even when dirty. Taking the striker assembly or decocker off of the pistol for every field strip seems more than excessive, unless you only take the pistol apart every few thousand rounds.

If you have any more specific questions, let us know.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #4

amar711 .22
Thanks. I was thinking of getting either the P99AS or the PPQ Classic. If the decocker and striker assembly only needs to be cleaned every 10,000 rounds or so then that’s not to big a deal to do. That was one of the things that was preventing me from going to the P99. Now I’ll take another look.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
^^^^I was exaggerating just a little, but in all seriousness, removing the decocker is pretty simple. The decocker will basically 'spring/jump' outta there when you remove the striker. if I've got a 1/16 punch laying on the bench and the slide removed, I can remove the striker and decocker in 5 seconds. Putting the striker and decocker back in will take a little bit longer. But, in all honesty, all the decocker does in move up and down against a spring.....when you push the decocker down a little nub on the bottom of the decocker makes contact with and pushes the single action lever rearward, releasing the striker. Really isn't much to clean, unless you've been wearing/carrying your P99 and crawling around in a dry creek bed.

Its really not a big deal and shouldn't deter you from purchasing a P99. The REAL difference between the PPQ and the P99 is the P99's AS trigger. The P99AS allows you to load/chamber a round, depress the decocker, which puts the trigger in DA, meaning you can carry with one in the chamber and the striker is decocked and the trigger is in DA mode. After you fire that first shot in DA, the trigger automatically transitions to SA mode.

If you'd like to read about the AS trigger operation, here's a link. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...r-systems.html
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

PPS1980 .22
Never had an issue with the decocker in my P99, quite the opposite. As for it vs. a PPQ - no contest. I own the P99AS and P99c and after firing many PPQs still do not own one - no need, I have its more complete forefather!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #7

amar711 .22
I like the DA first shot with the P99. It’ll be a 99.9% range gun and hopefully NOT a home defense gun. I don’t plan on carrying (Actually, NJ has no plans for me to carry.. lol) but in the unlikely event I need to use it for home defense I like that the P99AS trigger needs a little more pressure to fire off the first round unlike the PPQ. Yea, I know about trigger discipline but when you factor in stress to the equation and lack of experience confronting an armed individual it just seems like a better option for me.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #8

skeeter149 .22
It's only in da after a decock or if a round doesn't fire like a light primer strike. Otherwise when you rack it it's in anti stress. Light but longer pull till it locks rear, then it's still sa but short. I'm just saying you would need to decock it to get into da after racking the slide. Otherwise youre in anti stress mode
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99