Newbie here, question about my P99 - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #11

balance .22
Quote:
Could you please enlighten me as to anything I should know about it?
I can list some random thoughts that come to mind.

The P99 is an excellent design. I had a KK date-code P99 that I bought used, and put over 14k rounds through it. It never gave me any issues except for one on a round that had no powder in it.

The 1st generation P99 pistols, like yours, came out during the assault weapon ban, so I'm assuming you have the 10rd mags that came with the pistol. There are 15rd, 16rd, 17rd, and 20rd factory mags available for the P99. PPQ M1 mags of the same caliber will also work. Stay away from aftermarket mags. None of them have a good reputation for working, and I remember in the early 2000's, ProMag made a P99 mag that was the cause of ejector breakages on these pistols.

Be careful when reassembling the pistol after a field strip. Do not impact the rear of the slide into the sear housing during reassembly. It isn't a common issue, but it isn't unheard of either, for an impact to crack the sear housing on 1st gen P99 pistols around where the trigger bar guide is located if the slide is slammed into it when reassembling the pistol.

Put some lube on those roll pins. When I carried my P99 in the hot and humid summer in NC, the roll pins would get rust if I didn't lube them at least once a month or every few weeks. I noticed that the roll pin that holds the backstrap in place is the most susceptible to corrosion. A single drop of lube on each roll pin was all it took to keep the pistol corrosion free. The slide and barrel never had an issue on mine.

With only 200 rounds through the pistol, I'd assume that you still have the original recoil spring assembly with the black end cap. I'd suggest ordering a new RSA with the blue end cap if this is going to be a carry pistol. The RSA should be changed every 5k rounds, so it is considered a wear item, but with it being 17 years old now, I'd swap it out anyway and keep the original for a spare.

The decocker acts as a "striker block". Pressing and holding the decocker into the slide when holstering should make for a pistol that will not allow the striker to impact the primer on the chambered cartridge, even if the trigger is pulled, and the striker is cocked and released. When I carried my P99, I used this method to holster the pistol after finding out about it.

I don't have much experience with suppressed pistols, but if you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.
FirstandLast likes this.
balance is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #12

tangbang .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
Thank you - very helpful, along with the other guys who posted here. I appreciate it.

threaded barrels - yikes!! may be cost prohibitive to suppress this particular pistol, which is a shame.
tangbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
If you get a factory barrel, it'll be pretty pricey. I've purchased many barrels from Jarvis, they're great and priced right. You can go with a 'drop-in' or you can send your slide to them and they'll custom fit for a nominal fee.

https://jarvis-custom.com/pistol-barrels/walther/
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

RickJZ Unproven
The P99 is a great pistol for suppressor. Factory threaded barrel is the ideal option. As has been mentioned, Jarvis also makes a very good barrel. I have five threaded barrels from them. They are a little longer in length than the factory barrel. If you opt for one of their barrels, drop in is best for a suppressor. Plenty of good suppressor options available from a multitude of companies. I have the BT Impuls IIA for my P99.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #15

LagunaBlueAP2 .22
Sweet first gen P99!
LagunaBlueAP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #16

wormraper .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
. Stay away from aftermarket mags. None of them have a good reputation for working, and I remember in the early 2000's, ProMag made a P99 mag that was the cause of ejector breakages on these pistols.

not completely true. the Magnum Research MR9 mags are identical to P99 mags and work flawlessly in the P99, P99c, MR9 and PPQ M1
GeoNole94 and Redcat94 like this.
wormraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:10 AM   #17

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
the Magnum Research MR9 mags are identical to P99 mags and work flawlessly in the P99, P99c, MR9 and PPQ M1
That has also been my experience when using them with my PPQ M1. I haven't tried them with my P99C. I'll have to remember to do so the next time I take it to the range.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:35 AM   #18

balance .22
The factory mags are made by Mec-Gar. By "aftermarket", I mean any mags not made by them. All of the 99-series pistols, including the SW99 and MR pistols, came with factory Mec-Gar mags. An aftermarket mag would be anything from ProMag for example.
balance is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99