Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By olstyn
  • 2 Post By imaoldfart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

olstyn .22
Taylor Freelance "Overdrive" PPQ magwell on P99

So a while ago, I used the contact form on Taylor Freelance's website to ask whether their "Overdrive" magwell for the PPQ would fit on a P99, because I occasionally like to shoot USPSA Limited instead of Production with my P99, and I've been wanting to do it at less of a disadvantage. The reply that I got, from Robin Taylor himself, was that he'd never tried it, so he didn't know for sure, but that if I wanted to order one and try it, he'd refund my money if it didn't work, plus he'd have the answer for anyone else who asked the question.

I ordered it, along with a couple of their +6/140mm mag extensions. The package arrived on Wednesday, and I had time to try it out last night. As expected, the mag extensions work perfectly, because of course P99 and PPQ mags are the same thing. They let the mags hold 21 rounds with the stock follower (really tight fit, similar to stuffing that 15th round into the stock mags), or 22 rounds with a P99c follower (slightly less tight). I think my long-term plan is to use P99c followers but load them to 21 anyway, because they'll be much easier to seat under a closed slide that way.

The magwell, so far at least, doesn't *quite* make it, at least without modifying either the magwell, the gun, or both. The "hook" that the backstrap retaining pin is supposed to interface with to keep the magwell on the gun just barely interferes with the back end of the gun's frame as you attempt to rotate it into place. (It's maybe a millimeter, or at most two.) The back corners of the gun's frame also look like they might interfere with the top of the magwell, but I can't be 100% certain of that until/unless I'm able to rotate it past where it's catching on the hook.

I emailed Mr. Taylor with a couple of pictures to let him know and ask what he thinks. I'll be waiting to see his reply before making any final decisions on whether to keep it and do the needed mods or send it back. I have to say that it's a very shiny, nicely made piece, and it seems almost a shame to scratch it up by ramming mags into it repeatedly over time.

Just thought some folks on the forum might be interested. Has anybody else tried this, and if so, did it work for you?

A pic of the interference (no backstrap on the gun, as I wanted to test fit before chopping a chunk out of the backstrap to let the "hook" though):

PPS1980 likes this.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Interesting project. If it were me, I'd probably file a little notch in the frame to make room for the 'hook'. As for the rear corners, if there's too much interference, I'd probably be more inclined to remove a little metal from the magwell than from the frame.
olstyn and PPS1980 like this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

olstyn .22
Yeah, I don't think it'll take much fitting to make it work, but I'm a little bit apprehensive about doing it myself, as none of what would need to be done has an "undo" button. Like I said, I'm going to wait to hear from Mr. Taylor before I make any final decisions about it.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

PPS1980 .22
Cool project. Thanks for letting us know. What about using a stock 30 round magazine initially?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
What about using a stock 30 round magazine initially?
That's a no-go. For me, at least, this is purely a competition-oriented thing. USPSA Limited division max magazine length is 141.25 mm. The extensions I bought are sized to fit that limit - they're supposed to create a total mag length of 140 mm. Open division allows 171.25 mm, but moving into that division would mean shooting against guns running 9mm loaded to major power factor and running frame-mounted red dot sights, and even in Open, a 30-rounder is probably too long to be legal - most of the 170 mm mags people use in Open only hold 28 or 29 rounds of 9mm, and they're specially made for it.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:21 AM   #6

balance .22
Quote:
What about using a stock 30 round magazine initially?
Has Mec-Gar made stock 30rd mags for these pistols? The largest capacity mag for these guns that I know of that is not aftermarket, is the 20rd mag originally made for the P99.

That mag would not fit on a pistol with this magwell because there is a "stop" on the side of the mag body that is meant to impact the bottom of the polymer grip before the feed lips impact the ejector on a stock pistol. With an aftermarket magwell installed, the factory 20rd mag probably wouldn't go high enough to seat and latch into place.

I've seen aftermarket 30rd mags without the "stop" on the side. Those would probably latch into place on a pistol with an aftermarket magwell installed, but then you'd have to worry about damage to the ejector from overinsertion.

I think it is safe to say that the only mags that would work well (and safely) with an aftermarket magwell, are the factory standard capacity mags with an aftermarket baseplate.
balance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
With an aftermarket magwell installed, the factory 20rd mag probably wouldn't go high enough to seat and latch into place.
That would depend on how far the nub on the 20-round mags sticks out from the mag body. The TF magwell does leave a small space clear for baseplates (both extended and +0) to impact the bottom of the frame, so the 20-rounders might be able to be modified to work, but given that a stock 15-rounder + TF +6 holds 21 (or 22 if you want to use a P99c follower), I question the utility of bothering with that plan.

Quote:
I've seen aftermarket 30rd mags without the "stop" on the side. Those would probably latch into place on a pistol with an aftermarket magwell installed, but then you'd have to worry about damage to the ejector from overinsertion.
You could safely use them if you could guarantee that you'd only ever insert them under a closed slide, I guess?

Quote:
I think it is safe to say that the only mags that would work well (and safely) with an aftermarket magwell, are the factory standard capacity mags with an aftermarket baseplate.
As stated above, that might not be strictly true, but ultimately it's probably the best plan, yes.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #8

balance .22
Quote:
You could safely use them if you could guarantee that you'd only ever insert them under a closed slide, I guess?
I'm not so sure about this. There is very little clearance between the stock mag body and the ejector from the factory. I'd assume that the feed lip would hit the ejector before the mag body would hit the bottom of the slide.

The good thing is that this is easy to check if you have the magwell and a mag right in front of you. Take the baseplate off of the mag, slide the mag body up the magwell, and see what stops it first.

Many years ago, when ProMag first put out aftermarket higher capacity mags for the P99, quite a few people had broken ejectors because of overinsertion of the mags. A magwell would make no difference with an aftermarket mag that has the baseplate sitting lower than the stock mags.
balance is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99