• 1 Post By padawan
  • 1 Post By balance
  • 1 Post By olsoul
  • 1 Post By Thunderbirdsport302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #1

padawan .22
Found a Unicorn- P99AS w/ Defense Kit

Night sights are a little dim as to be expected.

Couldn't say no.

I am weak.

-P
PPS1980 likes this.
padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-29-2019, 03:31 PM   #2

Guevera .22
For those of us not familiar with it, could you tell us what the "Defense Kit" is?
Guevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:41 AM   #3

balance .22
Nice find.

They were pretty rare even when they were being imported here. If I ever find one locally, I'm definitely picking one up.

The defense kit was a package being sold back when S&W was the importer for Walther pistols. It was a P99 pistol with the ambidextrous slide release levers (later used on the PPQ), and factory (PPS) night sights. The P99 pistols with the ambidextrous slide release levers use a different frame than the P99 pistols with the single sided slide release levers. As far as I know, the defense kit package was the only way to get the AS model of the P99 with the ambidextrous slide release levers from the "official" importer of Walther pistols. They made both the full size and the compact P99 available with this package, and the compact model is even more rare than the full sized version.

You cannot install the ambidextrous slide release levers on a P99 with the single sided slide release lever without doing irreparable damage to the frame.

I believe Earl from ERS can still import these pistols, but be prepared to spend about double what a "standard" P99AS would cost if going that route.
PPS1980 likes this.

Last edited by balance; 08-30-2019 at 12:47 AM.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 AM   #4

padawan .22
Yes. Balance has it. Google P99 Defense kit. There are some threads on Waltherforums about it. I've kept my eye out for one for years but nada. Really could not believe it when I found it. Its a BA year code.

An interesting thing is the test target is 25 meters.

Consider this one now out of possible circulation. ;-)

To me, this is another reason Walther has all the parts 'off-the-shelf' and experience to build a great P99AS M1 or P99AS M2 with minimal ramp up or cost to entry for production. For goodness sake, just change the markings on a PPQ grip to read P99 and build the dang thing. I'll order 1 each today.

Last edited by padawan; 08-30-2019 at 05:57 AM.
padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #5

olstyn .22
Nice find. Call me crazy, but I actually kind of wish they'd make them with ambi slide lock levers, but the small "normal P99" ones. I don't have long thumbs at all, and the small one is perfectly placed to be easy for me to reach, but is very unlikely to be accidentally hit. Making it exactly the same but ambidextrous would be excellent IMO.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:13 PM   #6

skeeter149 .22
My defense kits sights burned out. So pushed them off chucked them in the box and put regular screw styled night sights. Is it possible to get the tritium part replaced?
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

romeo_alpha01 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter149 View Post
My defense kits sights burned out. So pushed them off chucked them in the box and put regular screw styled night sights. Is it possible to get the tritium part replaced?

I don’t think tooltech does them anymore, but if they still do, I can imagine for the price they’re asking and the time spent shipping and receiving the you might be better off buying new sights.
romeo_alpha01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter149 View Post
Earl's Repair likely has Tritium night sights for your P99. They will cost an arm and two legs but they will be the proper sights.

He'd be the only person stateside with them right now.
Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page

Look in the PPQ section at the night sights (they will be the same) if you are in doubt call and speak to Earl or his daughter.
PPS1980 likes this.

Last edited by olsoul; 11-01-2019 at 11:33 AM.
olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:27 AM   #9

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Trijicon has or did have a set of PPS style sights (steel) that were very similar if not identical to the stock ones...

No idea if they still make or sell them. I have a set on my P99c 9mm....

Bought used from a member 2-3 years ago.
PPS1980 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99