Experiment With Tungsten Guide Rod - Page 4 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The potential problem with heavy recoil spring guides is that they will, in practice, act like anti-bounce inertial weights commonly used in the recoiling parts of fully automatic weapons, except in the other direction. Because the guide (i.e., the weight) is not securely anchored at either end, it "floats" depending on the degree of compression of the surrounding spring. As the bolt (or slide, in the case of handguns) cycles, the inertia of the heavy guide rod compresses the spring, and when the spring recovers, the guide is propelled to impart a delayed impact when the action returns to battery. The same effect is there also with a lightweight rod, simply much less pronounced.

I say it's a potential problem because one might not see any effect from it in any particular handgun design; that could only be determined by field test.

I can say from experience that I have seen damage to a steel-framed handgun prototype from inertial bouncing of a solid steel guide rod; the rear seating face in the frame, and the flange of the rod were severely peened to the point of interfering with field-stripping. In the course of testing the cause of the problem was recognized and cured in production guns by substituting a hollow steel guide rod to reduce its mass.

Recoil spring guide rods are not subject to particularly high stress when installed in the pistol. Most damage to them occurs during maladroit disassembly or reassembly. If a plastic one breaks, it's usually the result of defective material or manufacture.

I've never thought the difference in "muzzle-weight" (or "recovery", or "flip" or whatever rationale is used to justify them) was worthwhile or even noticeable to me. I think ammunition makes a much greater difference.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 09-23-2019 at 11:18 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #32

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Do not You find it strange to ask for evidence (or rebuttal) from the same person?
Thus far you are unable to provide the data (evidence) that a heavier guide rod is responsible for damage that renders the pistol unreliable or unusable. One off incidents do not signal a universal issue.

Quote:
The articles You indicated were read by me shortly after their publication. And they do not carry any information on the issue under consideration. Or is it just an attempt to start another empty idle talk about the (no)reliability of the M16?
You made a general comment that modification or change to a factory firearm was fraught with danger. The article I posted clearly demonstrated that replacing factory parts could both improve operating effectiveness as well as life of the part.

Last edited by chandler5566; 09-24-2019 at 09:22 AM.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #33

FirstandLast .22
Experiment With Tungsten Guide Rod

I talked to Earl today on a different matter but I also asked him if there is going to be any ill effects from using either stainless or tungsten guide rod for long term. He said there is no such concerns as long as its Walther made guide rod. (Thus I ordered a stainless one.)

ETA, I then asked if there is any benefits of using stainless or tungsten guide rod than the flexible rod. He said that they would provide more linear recoil movements, and .... others we already know.

Last edited by FirstandLast; 09-23-2019 at 10:59 PM.
FirstandLast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #34
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Oh well, that settles it.

M
imaoldfart likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #35

chandler5566 .22
It appears that the entire subject of plastic vs heavier metal guide rods boils down to personal preference with no authoritative data supporting one over the other. Perhaps this thread has reached the end of its life?
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99