P99c 40 cal: DPM new style recoil spring FAIL!!! - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Whynotthinkwhynot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #1

Whynotthinkwhynot .22
P99c 40 cal: DPM new style recoil spring FAIL!!!

First, I need to explain some history. I have a Sprinco spring in my full size .40 P99. I bought it mainly because it was made in the US. Part of the reason I had to replace my spring was due to me installing it incorrectly- not putting it on the seat, and the slide was stuck on the pistol for a while. I had to force it out, and after much cursing of myself for not being careful- I swore never to forget to check before putting a slide on.

I started getting my P99c ready for CCW use, and I figured it could use the same spring treatment even though the factory recoil spring was never that bad to me. I went on Sprincoís site, didnít find one, so with tears in my eyes and much lamentation- I ordered a new style DPM and waited for it to arrive from Greece.

Since the recoil reduction spring went on to the P99c, Iíve put about 300 rds of 180 and 165 FMJ through it. Since itís a future carry gun, this weekend I went out to shoot some Golden Sabers to see which weight was more accurate, and zero the pistol if needed for the ammunition. I banged 40 rds each of 180 and 165 before the rain came. With a heavy heart and wet feet, I came home and started cleaning the weapon. I couldnít get the slide off. I was baffled. I know I installed it correctly, but it was doing the same thing as the full size did when I screwed that up. I messed around with it for about an hour, working the slide, turning it upside down and letting the slide go with the release, and making my wife really upset because I was making so much noise while she was trying to watch Korean dramas on the internet.

Finally I got the slide off. The spring was seated correctly, but now it was obviously scarred, and bent. I didnít beat on it like I did with the full-size because I was afraid Iíd damage the pistol frame since the DPM was a much sturdier spring- so I thought. All I can figure is that the ammunition did it, or I got a badly produced model.

Iím writing this here because someone may know someone in a similar position, or they may be in a similar position- if so, I personally canít recommend the new style DPM. The old style recoil spring might be ok. If any of you have read this and you have one of the older style springs in your P99c for a long time- hey, cool, please let me know. For now Iím going to rock the factory spring, and consider ordering another one, or maybe send tearful emails to Sprinco (except I bet someone already did) to beg them to make one for the compact.

Sorry for the long post, but nobody should have to experience a slide that wonít slide off due to a bent recoil spring. I never thought Iíd say this, but - yay Walterís plastic recoil springs!
AnthonyC likes this.
Whynotthinkwhynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #2

Dukes4aces .22
Stainless steel guide rods are made in the US. I run one in my PPQ and have approx. 2500 rds. w/out an issue.
https://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther...eel-guide-rod/
Dukes4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #3

AnthonyC .22
Thanks for sharing. I would have been super pissed if that had happened to me. I have looked at the DPM recoil spring for my 9mm P99C but I think I'll pass now.
Good luck with your next one.
AnthonyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

balance .22
I went to the DPM storefront in Athens, Greece years ago, and purchased a recoil reduction system for the PPQ. It was already dark outside, and the storefront was in the middle of an alley. It looked more like a machine shop that you would see in the US than a store, which makes some sense because the way the laws are there, I doubt very many people are shopping in person for recoil reduction systems for defensive pistols.

I put hundreds of rounds through it before putting it to the side since I didn't really want to use it on a carry pistol. It functioned as it should have, it changed the recoil impulse, and it made the recoil impulse "longer" for lack of a better word. Later, my house was broken into, and along with a safe with a few firearms, it was stolen.

I remember that there was a cap that went between the spring and the hole at the end of the slide. Could this have been the cause of the failure? Does the DPM unit for the P99c use the same cap? I also remember that the DPM system came with three separate recoil springs that you could use depending on how powerful the ammunition was that you were planning on shooting through the pistol. I'm at a loss trying to figure out how the DPM system could have caused your slide to get stuck. Please put up a picture of the spring and the guide rod itself to see if we can try to figure out what got stuck, and where.

I've made my opinion known on this forum before in regards to recoil reduction guide rods. I've seen failure to feed and stovepipe malfunctions on Sig 226 and 1911 pistols first hand when I went to the range with buddies of mine with these recoil reduction guide rods installed, and I've heard of countless issues with failures when using them, that would go away as soon as the factory guide rod was reinstalled into the pistol.

On a defensive pistol, I tend to buy good quality pistols, and stick to using as many factory parts as possible. If you installed the recoil reduction system correctly, and it just broke using it normally, I'd be hesitant to use it on another compact pistol that serves the role of defense. I believe I've heard of more issues with these recoil reduction guide rods than with the factory unit, and that says a lot to me being that only a very small percentage of gun owners actually go with an aftermarket recoil reduction guide rod.

Last edited by balance; 08-13-2019 at 03:27 PM.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #5

Whynotthinkwhynot .22
I agree with you Balance.

The problem I had occurred with the latest style of recoil spring. I couldn’t find part numbers. You might have had the earlier design. It’s hard to describe the difference between, the two styles- the previous style had one visible inner spring, and the outer spring. The new style I have has 2 visible inner springs, and one outer- that should help.

I’ll find out what they want to do about honoring a warranty. No way to tell until I try it.

I’ll work on pics. Basically, the DPM bent at the back foot which seats on the barrel. That’s why I told the story of when I accidentally put my full size slide on with the recoil spring not exactly in the groove on the barrel. I’m positive I did not do this because I double check that now, and it was not out of the groove when the slide finally came off. The bend is hard to see, but I’ll try to make pics of it. It would be easier to see if I could make a video and roll it on the table- then it’s obvious.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #6

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotthinkwhynot View Post
The problem I had occurred with the latest style of recoil spring. I couldn’t find part numbers. You might have had the earlier design. It’s hard to describe the difference between, the two styles- the previous style had one visible inner spring, and the outer spring. The new style I have has 2 visible inner springs, and one outer- that should help.
It would be very beneficial if you posted photos. Include all pieces of each system.

Is this what you are calling the "old" style?

That looks like a Rube Goldberg contraption!

Last edited by chandler5566; 08-14-2019 at 08:25 PM.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #7

Whynotthinkwhynot .22
Iím really sorry it took me so long. Hereís a pic of my damaged DPM. Perhaps I just got a bad one.

You can barely see how the base that fits on the barrel is bent. Itís really obvious if you roll it. I see no damage on the frame, and I donít know what it was caught on.

Iím going to have to go back to the laptop and edit this.....grrr dang image hosting site apps!!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #8

Whynotthinkwhynot .22
I watched the video, and yes that was the spring I thought was the new style. I can’t get my imgur picture to work right. Click the link, and the pic shows up, but it doesn’t parse it on the board. I even added the extra text, and it still didn’t show up. Sorry about that. I’m fighting a cat who has to walk on my desk, and dog that whines, and a daughter who is spilling watercolor paints, so maybe I’ll get my act together later today.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page

p99c 40 recoil

Click on a term to search for related topics.