Lights as Barrel weights - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #1

Barbarian .22
Lights as Barrel weights

I hung a TLR 7 on my P 99 thinking it would give me a functional barrel weight dampening down muzzle flip and recoil. Well the TLR 7 weighs 1 ounce on my scale. It helps but not much. The TLR - 1 weighs about 4 ounces so it looks like it will do much better. Let you know when I try it out. I have both lights.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

1942bull .22
I assume you are trying to reduce muzzle flip. Adding weight under the barrel of the gun will never the best way to achieve that reduction in flip. You would have to have to add substantial weight to compensate for the force causing the rise. The best way to reduce muzzle flip is by a well developed grip and proper arm positioning.

By adding weight to the front of the barrel you change the balance of the gun as its front is pulled downward causing the shooter to have to adjust grip to compensate. I just think it is better to perfect grip at the outset and avoid adding weight. Ok that is my 2 cents.
muckaleewarrior71 likes this.

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
Vietnam June 66 to February 68
MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
I assume you are trying to reduce muzzle flip. Adding weight under the barrel of the gun will never the best way to achieve that reduction in flip. You would have to have to add substantial weight to compensate for the force causing the rise. The best way to reduce muzzle flip is by a well developed grip and proper arm positioning.

By adding weight to the front of the barrel you change the balance of the gun as its front is pulled downward causing the shooter to have to adjust grip to compensate. I just think it is better to perfect grip at the outset and avoid adding weight. Ok that is my 2 cents.

Thanks I already have an excellent grip.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

muckaleewarrior71 .22
I wouldn't count on a light to do that. I agree with 1942bull.

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:30 PM   #5

chandler5566 .22
I added a rail accessory to my PPQ 45 and loaded 6oz of weights inside for a total of 8oz. There was no discernible effect on muzzle flip.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Redcat94 .22
I've noticed a decrease in muzzle flip when using a TLR1. It's even more significant when a tungsten guide rod is added.
Barbarian likes this.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #7

1942bull .22
I shoot 9mm out of a PPS M2. I have no meaningful muzzle flip because I have my hands, my wrists, my arms, and my shoulders work together to keep the muzzle from taking over the path of the gun when fired. Grip starts at your fingers and goes back to your shoulders.

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
Old 08-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
I shoot 9mm out of a PPS M2. I have no meaningful muzzle flip because I have my hands, my wrists, my arms, and my shoulders work together to keep the muzzle from taking over the path of the gun when fired. Grip starts at your fingers and goes back to your shoulders.

Following the logic of all it takes is grip etc then there was no reason for Walther to come out with the all steel PPQ for competition. Now there is a thought. Sorry weight counts. But, I guess you could compete with the PPS M 2 against the all steel PpQ and win. Let me know how that works our for you.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

1942bull .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Following the logic of all it takes is grip etc then there was no reason for Walther to come out with the all steel PPQ for competition. Now there is a thought. Sorry weight counts. But, I guess you could compete with the PPS M 2 against the all steel PpQ and win. Let me know how that works our for you.
I did not write that weight does not matter. I wrote that adding weight like a light to reduce muzzle was not a solution to 'flip.' I also wrote that my comments were being made because I assumed you were trying to decrease muzzle flip.

I would never write or say that weight of a handgun does not matter, because it does particularly when it comes to absorbing recoil. On of the things that contributed my choice of a PPS M2 over other single stack 9MM pistols wast tha the PPS M2 weighed more. I bought a Remington RM380 over other pocket guns because it had an aluminum frame as weighed nore than other options.

Finally, if I wrote anything that offended I apologize. I am quick to offer my opinion, but I never do it with an intention of being sarcastic or otherwise offensive.

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
Old 08-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #10

muckaleewarrior71 .22
It’s amazing how sensitive people get when someone has a difference of opinion than they do. It’s not that serious or serious at all. SMH

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99