Trigger Shoe "Play" an Issue? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #1

ErichBaumer .22
Trigger Shoe "Play" an Issue?

My P99 AS is at just over 9000 rounds, and I've just noticed that in DA or AS mode the trigger shoe has enough play to move forward maybe 2 to 3 millimeters off of the trigger itself, enough to expose the bottom part of the trigger (the long, thin "lollipop" shaped part, for lack of better description). It doesn't move at all, except backwards during a normal trigger press. I've compared it to a brand new P99, which doesn't have any play in the shoe at all in any trigger mode.

Does anyone know if this is normal wear for a P99? It seems it may be a non-issue since it's not actually the trigger moving, and I haven't noticed it in live or dry fire, but it's not exactly something I expected either.
ErichBaumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #2

ErichBaumer .22
Update - on further inspection, the trigger shoe is cracked on the left side near what I assume is its retaining pin. I've contacted Walther to see what they want to do to fix it.

So now I think my question is, is the trigger shoe a reasonably user-replaceable part?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I've never heard of a trigger shoe on a P99 cracking. And, I'm pretty sure its not a user-replaceable part.

Send er' back to the mother ship.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

ErichBaumer .22
I'm sure that's what the mother ship will say when they reply. Though I'm glad to hear it's apparently a rarity.

I'm not thrilled about having to go through the mail-to-then-mail-back dance, but the only real effect is moving up the timetable on testing my new P99 and getting it carry ready. In the meantime I have my new PPS and a P99C to carry, so it could be worse.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #5

balance .22
Replacing the trigger assembly will more than likely require checking and/or adjusting the trigger bar guide.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

ErichBaumer .22
According to Walther, it's not an independent part you can replace without replacing others, so in it went. I shipped it through my FFL July 25 and got it back August 12, which really isn't bad considering the distance and, I'm assuming, other work being ahead of me in the repair shop. It's good to go again, but this is a case in point of why I bought a second one.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #7

balance .22
I believe it comes as a trigger assembly, and the trigger bar guide would need to be adjusted after the new assembly was installed, so it is probably better that Walther took care of it.

This must be a pretty rare breakage. Off the top of my head, I don't remember ever hearing of one break. I have heard of people needing to replace this assembly after a botched trigger job with a broken trigger bar.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #8

ErichBaumer .22
Hopefully it's rare enough not to happen again.

I will say I bought the gun used, and that in addition to my live round count I have a LOT of dry fire reps on it, so maybe if anyone was going to have this happen it would be someone like me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Tags
p99, trigger, wear