EDC - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #21

Jimbo80 .22
My P99 AS SC is my carry gun where and when my 7.65 PPK may be a little overmatched.
olsoul likes this.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 PM   #22

Deadheadmatt .22
P99c AS in 40S&W in a clinger IWB holster most days.
MangoMike likes this.
Deadheadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:13 AM   #23
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Does anybody here edc the P 99?
Every so often I'll carry my P99. My preferred carry is in a Wright Regulator. It is all day comfortable, great for driving and concealable.

I also have a Safariland Level III when I absolutely must.

P99 is a great workhorse and has been for years. Every so often folks require a DA/SA type weapon and out will come the P99 rather than a revolver.

Every so often in the summer I'll carry it when it is hot and I want something slimmer than my PPQ.

Last edited by olsoul; 07-31-2019 at 10:17 AM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #24

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I agree it has a good trigger; but it does not have the short reset of the 1911
I've only shot a 2011 (competition-oriented double-stack 1911) once, and I was mainly paying attention to how much it felt like cheating overall, so I didn't notice the reset; how much shorter are we talking about? The P99 and PPQ's reset is *maybe* 1/8 inch, which is pretty darn short.

Quote:
or the lightness of the Vanek trigger kit which is solely designed for a competition Glock. A Glocks trigger does not require the da pull to sa pull; but stays in the same place making it an easier pistol to shoot.
CZ Shadow/Shadow2 and the various Tanfoglio Stock II/Stock III guns dominate the high end of USPSA Production division, and they're DA/SA. The idea that DA/SA is a disadvantage is a red herring.

Quote:
How many other P 99s do you see used in your matches?
Basically zero, but plenty of PPQs, which are arguably the same gun with the DA and decocker removed, rendering them SAO.

Quote:
One of the reasons I like the P 99 is the good trigger it has for a carry gun and the safety of a da first shot. No Glock leg with that pistol; but it has drawbacks in a match.
Between the Walther and Glock polymer framed offerings, the only advantage I really see the Glocks having [for competition] is more aftermarket customization support. Given how reliable stock Glocks are and how many aftermarket modified ones I've seen have various issues at matches, I'm not sure that's actually an advantage.

Also, have you actually shot a P99 in a match, or are you theorycrafting? I will freely grant that if you're not used to the paddle mag release and/or the DA first shot, those things may present a learning curve, but in terms of performance of experienced shooters who have had a chance to acclimate to the guns in question, I sincerely doubt you'd see much real-world performance delta between a Glock and a P99, or an XD, or a SIG, or an HK, or any number of other well-made service-sized pistols. The CZs might be an exception, simply because they provide small edges in almost every category - they're heavy, the triggers are light, crisp, and can be made even better with some careful polishing of parts, they're exceptionally mechanically accurate, etc., but even those things are only going to provide small % gains, and generally only for very high-level competitors.

In my opinion, it's going to come down to personal preference. I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong for choosing to compete with a Glock, but I think you *are* wrong to think that it gives you a huge advantage vs. someone who makes a different choice.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #25

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
I've only shot a 2011 (competition-oriented double-stack 1911) once, and I was mainly paying attention to how much it felt like cheating overall, so I didn't notice the reset; how much shorter are we talking about? The P99 and PPQ's reset is *maybe* 1/8 inch, which is pretty darn short.

I agree it is pretty short on the P 99, but not as short as the 1911. I have read some stats in Front sight which indicated the 2011 is one of the most popular frames in USPA matches. I suspect that is because of the 1911 trigger. I am not as up on the guns used in USPSA as I quit shooting it years ago. So I will bow to your knowledge on that.

CZ Shadow/Shadow2 and the various Tanfoglio Stock II/Stock III guns dominate the high end of USPSA Production division, and they're DA/SA. The idea that DA/SA is a disadvantage is a red herring.

I looked a the Shadow for the first time the other day at the large lgs here. It had a very slick da and a very light sa with a short reset. It was a heavy pistol that seemed to be made for competition and not as an edc.

Basically zero, but plenty of PPQs, which are arguably the same gun with the DA and decocker removed, rendering them SAO.

I suspect zero because of their light weight and that they were made for every day carry and not for competition. I would disagree with you on the PPQ. The PPQ has a sa trigger which is very light from the get go with no da pull, a really short and nice reset which almost rivals the 1911, and is a much easier pistol to shoot fast. I have used both and find the PPQ the easier pistol to shoot.

Between the Walther and Glock polymer framed offerings, the only advantage I really see the Glocks having [for competition] is more aftermarket customization support.

No argument from me on that one.

Given how reliable stock Glocks are and how many aftermarket modified ones I've seen have various issues at matches, I'm not sure that's actually an advantage.

You have a good point. The only Glocks I have seen that have issues are the ones that the shooter has modified. Leave it as is and it is extremely reliable. With all the new pistols coming out I think the days of when Sevigny pulled a box stock Glock 34 out of the box and won production with it are long past. I see from some stats Glock is no longer popular in USPSA as it used to be and not used as much in the Nationals. Giving the devil its due it is still the choice of Delta Force, Seals and Recon Marines plus the FBI, Border Patrol and now the Secret Service in addition to 70% of US police officers and countless other users. I have to say I am not a fan because of safety issues. I prefer the HK P 2000, the P 99, or my custom 1911s.

Also, have you actually shot a P99 in a match, or are you theorycrafting?

Oh yes I have shot the P 99 and the PPQ in matches and been through tactical courses with the PPQ.

I will freely grant that if you're not used to the paddle mag release and/or the DA first shot, those things may present a learning curve, but in terms of performance of experienced shooters who have had a chance to acclimate to the guns in question, I sincerely doubt you'd see much real-world performance delta between a Glock and a P99, or an XD, or a SIG, or an HK, or any number of other well-made service-sized pistols.

That is a lot of territory to cover. The paddle release is faster than the button which is why I like and have no problems with it. Glocks giving a lower bore axis and less muzzle flip can be run faster. I went through several tactical courses some years ago with an XD. XDs are heavy guns and give less muzzle flip also. So they are, to me, easier pistols to shoot.
The Sigs are also very heavy guns and that absorbs a lot of recoil even though they have a high bore axis. None are as light as the P 99 which makes it a bit harder to control.

The CZs might be an exception, simply because they provide small edges in almost every category - they're heavy, the triggers are light, crisp, and can be made even better with some careful polishing of parts, they're exceptionally mechanically accurate, etc., but even those things are only going to provide small % gains, and generally only for very high-level competitors.

No argument from me on the mechanics - except those factors you listed, to me, provide more than small edges to novices as well as experienced shooters.

In my opinion, it's going to come down to personal preference.

100% agreement with you on that.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong for choosing to compete with a Glock, but I think you *are* wrong to think that it gives you a huge advantage vs. someone who makes a different choice.

I sometimes compete with a Glock; but I have been getting away from doing so. I like to compete with what a I carry as an edc and that is a HK P 2000 ( which has an action job by Lazy Wolf), a custom lightweight 1911 9mm commander, and the P 99 which I like because other than sights and a Hogue rubber slip on grip needs no gunsmithing ( which really endears it to me). I choose these pistols because they are very safe and easily guard against NDs which are primarily caused by fatigue or distraction. Distraction I can guard against but not fatigue. A unholstered Glock gives me the safety heebie jeebies. Until Glock puts a thumb safety on the pistol It will not be my edc. That is just me being ultra cautious and being that way makes me like the P 99 more. I either want safeties as on the 1911 or da sa for the first shot as a safety precaution.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #26

Barbarian .22
Olystyn: What is in blue are some of my answers to your post. Sorry I missed that up.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #27

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post

I cannot give you an exact estimate; but the reset on a 1911 is extremely short. Try one.

Yes it has been some time since I shot USPSA so I am not up to date as to the pistols used. I looked at a Shadow the other day at my large lgs. It impresses me as a very heavy pistol, slicked up quite a bit for competition and not a pistol anyone would edc.

The PPQ is a much easier pistol to shoot with the trigger remaining in the same place and a very light pull.

Between the Walther and Glock polymer framed offerings, the only advantage I really see the Glocks having [for competition] is more aftermarket customization support. Given how reliable stock Glocks are and how many aftermarket modified ones I've seen have various issues at matches, I'm not sure that's actually an advantage.

I agree the only Glocks I have seen fail are the ones that have been tampered with. Gone are the days when Sevigny pulled a box stock Glock 34 out and won the Nationals with it in Production.

Also, have you actually shot a P99 in a match, or are you theorycrafting?

Oh yes I have shot the P 99 in matches and the PPQ. I went thru some tactical training with the PPQ.

I will freely grant that if you're not used to the paddle mag release and/or the DA first shot, those things may present a learning curve, but in terms of performance of experienced shooters who have had a chance to acclimate to the guns in question, I sincerely doubt you'd see much real-world performance delta between a Glock and a P99, or an XD, or a SIG, or an HK, or any number of other well-made service-sized pistols.

That is a lot of territory to cover. Different bore heights, weights, trigger pulls ( ie Legion Sig and regular Sig) can affect the performance quite a bit.

The CZs might be an exception, simply because they provide small edges in almost every category - they're heavy, the triggers are light, crisp, and can be made even better with some careful polishing of parts, they're exceptionally mechanically accurate, etc., but even those things are only going to provide small % gains, and generally only for very high-level competitors.

Pistols made for competition such as some CZs will have quite an edge over the P 99 even with equally skilled shooters.

In my opinion, it's going to come down to personal preference. I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong for choosing to compete with a Glock, but I think you *are* wrong to think that it gives you a huge advantage vs. someone who makes a different choice.

Answered already.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #28

ErichBaumer .22
Unless I need the PPS for specific roles that call for a smaller gun, I'm always carrying a P99 AS in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster.

Also, on the topic of competition, it's what I use for USPSA as well. Using my AIWB holster puts me in Limited Minor with a Production pistol, but I'm there less to compete and more to practice with what I carry. And so far I'm just at a small local match anyway.
ErichBaumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #29

J_PPKS .22
Pps m2 in the summer but P99c 40 in the cooler months. Both ride in Black Arch holsters.
2015 CCP Stainless
2013 PPK/S 22lr
2002 P22 Target
2016 SIG Sauer P226 Extreme 9mm
1987 SIG Sauer P225 9mm
1994 SIG Sauer P229 357SIG
J_PPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #30

crows .22
I have been carrying my P99c aiwb for a couple of years now. I think it is the better option for me than the full size P99. Why? Stick the 10rd mag in and it is perfect for concealed carry. For open carry, a full sized 15 or 16rd mag with the spacer. For me, the best of both worlds. Not to mention carrying a 15 or 16rd mag for a reload. To top it off I prefer the balance of the shorter length of the compact model. I know, it isn't a huge difference in length, but the balance feels better to me. Yes, I guess I am a fan .
Dukes4aces likes this.
crows is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page

walther ppk edc

Click on a term to search for related topics.