WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #11

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
Typically Production, yes, though I've also run it in Limited in some "outlaw" matches for fun. What makes you think it would be hard to shoot USPSA with?

It is such a light pistol I would think it would be hard to control especially when you are competing against such pistols as the Glock 34, Glock 17.
Not too mention the high bore axis making it give a bit more muzzle flip. If you can do well with it against those pistols that is awesome and you have my admiration.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #12

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
It is such a light pistol I would think it would be hard to control especially when you are competing against such pistols as the Glock 34, Glock 17.
Not too mention the high bore axis making it give a bit more muzzle flip. If you can do well with it against those pistols that is awesome and you have my admiration.
I think bore axis is given more weight than it deserves by a lot of people.

An unloaded P99 weighs less than half an ounce less than an unloaded G17. There is effectively no difference there. Even the G34 is only about 1.5 ounces heavier than the P99. The G17 has a 1/2 inch longer barrel, so you can probably get the same velocity out of maybe 0.1 grain less powder, and of course the G34 takes that a little farther, but those are pretty small differences too. Either way you're talking about lightly loaded competition ammo, so recoil is pretty minimal across the board. I've never personally found the muzzle flip of the full size P99 to be any big deal, but I started out competing with my P99c because it was all I had at the time, so maybe my perspective is skewed by that experience.

I'm at the mid to high end of C class, so I'm no high-level competitor, but I certainly don't feel like people shooting Glocks have any particular advantage or disadvantage vs me related to the difference in which gun we're shooting. The steel-framed CZs that dominate Production, maybe those are a significant enough difference to notice, but I really dislike the whole manual decocking dance they have to do. It just strikes me as an unnecessary opportunity to hurt yourself and get DQed simultaneously. (Yes, I know it can be and is done safely on a regular basis, but it only takes slipping up once.)
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #13

Jan whitaker .22
My normal carry pistols are, ppk pps. And p99, depending on the weather.
Jan whitaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #14

Barbarian .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
I think bore axis is given more weight than it deserves by a lot of people.

An unloaded P99 weighs less than half an ounce less than an unloaded G17. There is effectively no difference there. Even the G34 is only about 1.5 ounces heavier than the P99. The G17 has a 1/2 inch longer barrel, so you can probably get the same velocity out of maybe 0.1 grain less powder, and of course the G34 takes that a little farther, but those are pretty small differences too. Either way you're talking about lightly loaded competition ammo, so recoil is pretty minimal across the board. I've never personally found the muzzle flip of the full size P99 to be any big deal, but I started out competing with my P99c because it was all I had at the time, so maybe my perspective is skewed by that experience.

I'm at the mid to high end of C class, so I'm no high-level competitor, but I certainly don't feel like people shooting Glocks have any particular advantage or disadvantage vs me related to the difference in which gun we're shooting. The steel-framed CZs that dominate Production, maybe those are a significant enough difference to notice, but I really dislike the whole manual decocking dance they have to do. It just strikes me as an unnecessary opportunity to hurt yourself and get DQed simultaneously. (Yes, I know it can be and is done safely on a regular basis, but it only takes slipping up once.)
Perhaps but the axis does make a difference.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...34A9&FORM=VIRE
I also find that the P 99 is somewhat muzzle light and guys that shoot the Glocks in USPSA often put Vanek trigger kits in them giving them a trigger that stays in the same place ( unlike the da sa P 99) and a much lighter trigger to manipulate. They may also put a tungsten or stainless steel guide rod in them adding to the weight. In the Glocks there seems to be more weight forward of the trigger housing than in the P 99.
I am planning to shoot IDPA with a TLR - 7 attached my P 99 to give some weight to the muzzle. My fastest times in IDPA matches have been with an all steel 1911 and a Glock 17 with a Vanek trigger kit installed. I cannot comment on the CZs as I am not all that familiar with them and their decockers. I do own three and don't particularly care for them.
You are doing well with the P 99 and I admire you for that!!!
Old 07-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #15

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Perhaps but the axis does make a difference.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...34A9&FORM=VIRE
Oh, I'm not saying it makes no difference, just that I think in many cases, people are making a mountain out of a molehill with regard to bore axis. After all, plenty of people perform at very high levels with the SIG P226/P229, and they have an even higher bore axis. As long as you put some effort into gripping properly, you can do fine with any of them.

Quote:
I also find that the P 99 is somewhat muzzle light and guys that shoot the Glocks in USPSA often put Vanek trigger kits in them giving them a trigger that stays in the same place ( unlike the da sa P 99) and a much lighter trigger to manipulate.
IMO the P99's trigger is excellent and doesn't need anything changed. Your opinion and mileage may vary, of course.

Quote:
They may also put a tungsten or stainless steel guide rod in them adding to the weight.
The same options are available for the P99. BT Guiderods for steel, and Walther makes a tungsten rod for the PPQ which should work fine in the P99 as well, so no difference in the two platforms there.

Quote:
I cannot comment on the CZs as I am not all that familiar with them and their decockers. I do own three and don't particularly care for them.
The issue I have with the CZs is that the models which are popular for competition use (the Shadow and Shadow 2, which are both heavy steel frame super slicked up/accurized versions of the CZ 75) do not have decockers, so you have to carefully lower the hammer by hand. This of course presents you with the opportunity for an unintentional discharge leading to DQ and possible injury. If I'm going to shoot a DA/SA gun, I'd much rather use a P99, a Beretta 92, a SIG, or an HK simply for the fact that decocking on load and make ready will never result in an unexpected loud noise, whereas with a CZ, there is a nonzero chance of that on every stage.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #16

P99Freak Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
I carried a P99 for many years. Mostly it was a 1st gen 9mm model made in 1999. I shot 14k rounds through it after purchasing it used, with an unknown round count, and it never gave me any trouble other than a single factory round that had no gunpowder in it.

I liked the fact that on the P99 design, the decocker acts as a "striker block". Pressing the decocker into the slide blocks the path of the striker, so even if the trigger is pulled and the striker is released, the striker will not impact the primer on the chambered cartridge as long as the decocker is pressed and held into the slide. I held the decocker pressed into the slide every time I holstered the pistol after finding out about this.

This is gold, thanks!!!
P99Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #17

Barbarian .22
[QUOTE=olstyn;1204815]Oh, I'm not saying it makes no difference, just that I think in many cases, people are making a mountain out of a molehill with regard to bore axis. After all, plenty of people perform at very high levels with the SIG P226/P229, and they have an even higher bore axis. As long as you put some effort into gripping properly, you can do fine with any of them.

Muzzle flip makes a hell of difference to me making it much harder to control the pistol; but then I come from an era when the 1911 was king of the hill in USPSA. I watched the IDPA nationals last night and I noticed the 1911 was the most used pistol there. The Sig 226 and 229 are heavy pistols and that negates some of the recoil experienced with them. The P 99 is a light pistol.

IMO the P99's trigger is excellent and doesn't need anything changed. Your opinion and mileage may vary, of course.

I agree it has a good trigger; but it does not have the short reset of the 1911 or the lightness of the Vanek trigger kit which is solely designed for a competition Glock. A Glocks trigger does not require the da pull to sa pull; but stays in the same place making it an easier pistol to shoot. How many other P 99s do you see used in your matches?
One of the reasons I like the P 99 is the good trigger it has for a carry gun and the safety of a da first shot. No Glock leg with that pistol; but it has drawbacks in a match.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
Supporting Member

Thinkology .22
I finally quit carrying my P5 in favor of the P99. I primarily carry the P99c but when clothing permits will carry the full size.

I’ve really tried to like the PPS that others have mentioned and still have one, but I’ve just never warmed up to the trigger enough to stick with it for EDC.
Thinkology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #19
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .38
Picked up another Safariland, Level III holster. This one is the same model as for my P99, but is specifically for the PPQ. I just finished installing a 'magwell' on the Q, trimming the rubber grip sleeve and adapting another P-226 20 round mag to work with the PPQ M1.

I'm loving 'open carry' now. Sooooo much more comfortable and accessible.

I think my doggies approve.

jkv45 likes this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #20
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Usual carry: P99c AS

Previous alternates: PPK/S .380 (winter); PPK 32 (summer)

Current alternates: Colt Mustang Lite .380 (winter); Beretta 3032 Tomcat .32 (summer)

Occasional carry: Beretta 84FSor 85FS .380; FNH FNX-9; various SiG P22(x) pistols 9mm and .45

Probable future edition to the mix: Full-size P99; Colt 1991A1 .38 Super +P (hiking); Rock Island Armory Ultra FS 10mm (hiking brown bear country)

Home defense: FNH FNX-45

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook

Last edited by UniversalExports; 07-30-2019 at 11:53 PM.
UniversalExports is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page

walther ppk edc

Click on a term to search for related topics.