P99 Sight choices - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #1

jd950 .22
P99 Sight choices

I want to replace sights on both a P99AS and a P99AS Compact. I have searched and read a number of posts here about sights and am a bit confused. Part of my confusion is that I saw references to certain brands of sights causing POI issues but without reverences to the particular model of sight, where the manufacturer makes a few different models. Some of my confusion is just confusion....

Anyway, i am looking for durable sights, metal probably preferred but not essential, and if possible something brighter up front. Frankly, I would probably be fine with replacing the stock front sight with something more easily seen quickly , if the height worked with the stock rear. I don't really care between tritium, fiber optic, etc., but I want something durable.

Any suggestions appreciated.
AnthonyC likes this.
jd950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #2

muckaleewarrior71 .22
TFX Pros may be a good option for you. I have a set on my PPQ M1 but they will work for the P99 too. There is a forum member ‘Olsoul’ that can tell you all about them. He has a few posts and pics about them in here.

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:39 PM   #3

muckaleewarrior71 .22
Here’s a video on them being installed:

https://youtu.be/uMfUB6tazMA

P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

Dukes4aces .22
Odds are you're going to have to buy and try them.
Dukes4aces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
Ignore that video...that was horrid. I've never had to file the rear sights before mounting them. But I'm using a P500 sight pusher which is a bit more robust than his set up.

The TFX Pros are great sights for a carry weapon. The only downside on the P99 and P99c are that they partially cover the decocker and you will be unable to remove the decocker for a thorough slide strip without removing the rear sight.

To be honest I've mounted them on my P99 and P99c and never needed to remove the decocker so it hasn't been an issue.

The TFX and TFX Pros preserve the Walther POA/POI at self defense ranges and are extremely rugged. They combine tritium vials with fiber optics giving one nice light gathering capabilities plus nightsights in a robust metal housing. They are great at dawn and dusk. The orange ringed front sight is easily visible during the day and target acquisition and re-acquisition is a snap.

All my carry weapons have TFX Pros mounted. I don't leave home without out them.

If you decide to go with the TFX or TFX Pros and mount them yourself feel free to PM me. I've mounted lots of them and can guide you throught the process.

P99 with TFX:

P99c:

P99c/Q45 TFX Pros:

install:

TFX Pro front sight (PPQ mount):
imaoldfart likes this.

Last edited by olsoul; 04-16-2019 at 07:37 AM.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #6

jd950 .22
Thanks for the suggestions. I will order the TFX and give them a try
Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #7

Rustedbucket .22
I, too, had to have my sights filed to install them onto my P99c. In fact, I called TruGLO to verify if it that was plausible, or if I had been doing something wrong. TruGLO informed me that for the P99 specifically, filing 'might' be required.

They stated that they're research showed minor discrepancies between older 99s to newer, and minor discrepancies between 99s to Qs. The two stated that the sights were sized to for the largest gap their research experienced and that minor filing might be required. He finished by stating that the 99 and one other firearm (don't remember which) might require this filing.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
cslater likes this.
Rustedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #8

romeo_alpha01 .22
Anyone here have experiences with the Trijicon HDs? I have a set but I haven't shot with them yet. Seem fairly robust and mount like factory sights.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #9

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo_alpha01 View Post
Anyone here have experiences with the Trijicon HDs? I have a set but I haven't shot with them yet. Seem fairly robust and mount like factory sights.
I've got them on my P99c and the orange front ring helps tremendously to quickly acquire a sight picture.
However they are quite tall and if I were to carry it in my pocket instead of my PPS, I'd worry about snagging on them when drawing the pistol.
For long distance shooting, further out than 15 yards, the front post covers A LOT of the target.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #10

jd950 .22
I thought I read somewhere that that the trijicons poa tends to be off from poi. I might be wrong about that or maybe it varied depending on P99 vs P99C. Not sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99