Tell me the difference P99 / P99AS - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #1

F5guy .22
Tell me the difference P99 / P99AS

I have an original P 99 from the first month they were released Iím trying to understand the difference between this and the AS model is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #2

Kar98 .22
The P99AS is functionally the same as the original P99, with some cosmetic differences.
It was merely renamed AS to distinguish it from the later DAO and QA models.
5Wire likes this.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:42 AM   #3

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
It was merely renamed AS to distinguish it from the later DAO and QA models.
And comically, those DAO and QA models have since been discontinued.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
And comically, those DAO and QA models have since been discontinued.
And apparently the P99 entirely as well.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

balance .22
Quote:
And apparently the P99 entirely as well.
There was talk of the compact being discontinued on another thread. Are we sure that the full size P99 is going to be discontinued as well?

It is still the service pistol for a lot of different agencies, and I'm assuming that parts and pistols will need to be made until those contracts are over with. Why not sell them to the public if they are going to be making them anyway? I'd assume that it is the same reason why H&K still sells the USP.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 PM   #6

EricM .22
I contacted Walther Arms and they said Germany was still making them, they just don't know when.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #7

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
I contacted Walther Arms and they said Germany was still making them, they just don't know when.
Yeah, that's pretty much always been the story with the P99. They seem to come in in "batches" a few times a year, with pricing being cyclical as a result. Some parts of the year, you can't find a used one for < $550, but when I bought mine *new*, a fresh shipment had recently come in, so I only paid a little over $400.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #8

Nova231 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much always been the story with the P99. They seem to come in in "batches" a few times a year, with pricing being cyclical as a result. Some parts of the year, you can't find a used one for < $550, but when I bought mine *new*, a fresh shipment had recently come in, so I only paid a little over $400.
I haven't seen one new in my LGS for a long time, but I do see them fairly regularly at gun shows new. I generally see them between $550-600 new but have seen one listen for $699. I love my P99 and have often thought of picking up a second one while they're still available but always end up wanting something else just a little bit more.

My sense, and I don't have any real evidence to back this up, is that the P99 is primarily in production for European law enforcement agencies that desire/are required to have a DA/SA trigger or at least a heavier trigger pull than the PPQ. Since they're already making them, it makes sense to periodically ship some stateside for the consumer market. I think for as long as there are agencies buying the P99 from Walther, and as long as Walther is importing any firearms to the US, they'll continue to be a few available sporadically for purchase. But it's not a big enough seller to warrant an "M2" variant for the Americans (this is a plus! I like the paddles).

It's too bad, I never thought the P99 got the marketing support it deserved. I believe it to be a truly excellent pistol and have recommended it to many.
Nova231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #9

F5guy .22
I think the original p99 was the dna for the popular vp9. Shooting either is about the same to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F5guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #10

balance .22
Just curious, but how do you know the pistol is from the first month of production. The date-code should only tell the year, not the month or day.

For years I've heard that the P99 was released for sale around the end of 1996, but people didn't receive the P99 pistols here until early 1997.

Last edited by balance; 08-12-2019 at 02:54 PM.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99