P88... the most accurate DA pistol? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 04:09 PM   #1

Red Grant Unproven
I used to own P88 full-size. It was the reportedly the most accurate 9mm DA ever. I've seen a picture where P88 grouped 1-hole 1-inch 5-shot groups at 25 yards ..... off-hand!

I've sold mine. The reason.....the grip was just too thick for rapid fire, especially in DA mode. The gun, because of its twin operating levers was very hard to conceal and the gap between the slide and the lever made it snag-prone. And the trigger, I don't know about you, guys, but for me, it was one of the worst DA ever. SA was a little better, but nothing to write home about. Just try to compare it to Beretta 92F or Sig Sauger P-225. The operating lever needed quite a bit of force to manipulate.

But No.1 reason why I sold it was I almost pulled my finger-nail off while re-assembly after a session. It was too hard to live with. I prefer P-5, it may not be as accurate, but easy to live with.

Now, gentlemen, I AM READY FOR THE ROPE on the lamp post.
Red Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #2
bhp

bhp Unproven
I'm interested in your thoughts as I have one that just hasn't had the recommended break in period. I have read (and hope) that the more rounds down range the better she'd get. I've never been any good with the first DA pull on any pistol and it sort of bothers me - I guess I need to practice far more...
I do recall that the P88 DA is better than the P5 but I may be wrong - I haven't done a side by side comparison.
I suppose I'm spoiled by the M8....
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 PM   #3

extremist Unproven
I personally don't think the P88 is the most accurate DA pistol. I easily shot any of my P99s better than the P88 that I had.

Of course, that could just be me

And any of my P7s could out shoot my P88 that I had.

James
NRA Endowment
NRA Instructor Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun, HFS, RSO
Walther PPQ/P99, HK P7 and 1911 aficionado
ShootPointBlank.Com North Richland Hills LTC
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #4
P88

P88 Unproven
I've found that my DA pull is much better than that of the Beretta. I'm not sure about a P225, never tried one. Mine is nice an smooth and personally I think its better than the P99's.

The full sized P88 wasn't ever meant to be a concealment gun. It was developed for military use. The P88 compact is more in line for conceald carry.

I'd like to know how you almost pulled your finger nail off trying to re-assemble it. I've never had a problem. It goes on and comes off just as easily as my P99's.

I also find that the grip is a little bit big, but it doesn't bother me. And the accuracy is right on par with what you had described.

Personally I really like mine and will keep it for a very long time.
P88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:45 PM   #5
bhp

bhp Unproven
P88 - Did you find that your p88 trigger smoothed out over time? ie, is there a break in period?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
P88

P88 Unproven
no, it came nice and smooth. I haven't really shot mine that much. It was in near mint condition when I picked it up, so I've only put around 100 rounds through it. I've been thinking about shooting it more, but I didn't want to lessen its value.

I do dry fire it on occasion and have found its very smooth.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #7
bhp

bhp Unproven
Thanks Devin,
I think my trigger is fairly smooth already but I would like it a little crisper in DA. Perhaps the fp safety feature factors in here.
You brought up another point I hadn't really thought that much about: are these handguns going up in value? *I genuinely don't know about their collectibility - are they that uncommon?
My example has about 200 rounds through it with box and papers. I like it much better than the Browning High Power and don't know why they aren't compared more often.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #8
P88

P88 Unproven
That's a nice looking P88 you got there!

I believe they are going up in value. They've always been on the spendy side and I've noticed prices in the $1500 range. There were only around 10,000 made. What does your serial number start with? I've seen a couple over the 10,000 mark.

So for me, I'm still going to shoot mine, but for competitions, plinking and carry, I use my P99.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:26 AM   #9
bhp

bhp Unproven
Hi Devin,
Many Thanks Again - I'll post the serial nš tomorrow. It seems like I read somewhere my example was the second variation (or generation) evidenced by the frame mounted trigger stop and shorter rear sight - Does this sound familiar?
I never did see yours at your 500 post - just a red x.
TIA
Old 10-14-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
P88

P88 Unproven
TIA,

Yes, you have a second generation P88. The first generation had the trigger stop on the trigger and the back sight was a little taller and skinnier. The front sight on the first gen. was also dove tailed into the slide. On the second gen. the front sight is integral to the slide. The first generation P88 was only in production for the first year. (1987)

Mine is also a second generation and is in the 5000 s/n range.

I'll have to fix my picture. I'm not sure what happened.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Search tags for this page
accuracy walther p88
easily operated p88 decorative nail gun
how relieable is the p88 walther hand gun
most accurate walther handgun
operating a walther p88
p88 accurate

walther p88 accuracy

walther p88 compact sa pull
Click on a term to search for related topics.