Finding A P88 In CA - WaltherForums
WaltherForums
 

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Like Tree12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
WingDings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
WingDings .22
Finding A P88 In CA

Only been on the hunt for 4 months and can already tell this is going to be difficult.

Wish me luck.
WingDings is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
DeutschlandUberAlles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Coppell, Texas
Posts: 2,505
DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Good luck, and welcome.


The right one will pop up, it just takes time.


Mine was purchased while not even looking for one, it was posted on here.


"P88C value...1995 vintage"
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
WingDings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
WingDings .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
Good luck, and welcome.


The right one will pop up, it just takes time.


Mine was purchased while not even looking for one, it was posted on here.


"P88C value...1995 vintage"
Mags...check
Grips...check
Walther Soft Case...check

Actual P88...nowhere to be found.

Patience isn't my strongsuit.

Thanks for the welcome.
WingDings is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DeutschlandUberAlles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Coppell, Texas
Posts: 2,505
DeutschlandUberAlles .22
You may want to pro-con the P88 vs P88C.


I dislike "compact" handguns (XL hands), yet went with the P88C.


The P88C barrel and grip lengths are slightly shorter then the P88, but the "C" is by all means an SD size sidearm.


There were some issues that were resolved DURING P88/P99C production, as Walther corrected issues during production, the problematic P88 was discontinued, replaced by the P88C (with improvements/design revisions).


Conclusion, having a P88C in your collection means having the FINAL evolution of the autonomous Walther Ulms "all metal" handgun line. Everything post P88C involved plastic and/or "parent company" involvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2439.jpg (156.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2440.jpg (143.7 KB, 9 views)
WingDings likes this.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 04-12-2019 at 08:27 AM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jimbo80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,690
Jimbo80 .22
There are a lot for sale on Gunbroker. Finding one in a local gun shop is a different story. I've seen exactly one the last decade. It's in my safe now.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:43 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
WingDings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
WingDings .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
You may want to pro-con the P88 vs P88C.


I dislike "compact" handguns (XL hands), yet went with the P88C.


The P88C barrel and grip lengths are slightly shorter then the P88, but the "C" is by all means an SD size sidearm.


There were some issues that were resolved DURING P88/P99C production, as Walther corrected issues during production, the problematic P88 was discontinued, replaced by the P88C (with improvements/design revisions).


Conclusion, having a P88C in your collection means having the FINAL evolution of the autonomous Walther Ulms "all metal" handgun line. Everything post P88C involved plastic and/or "parent company" involvement.
Gorgeous compact. The Nills really make it pop. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the P88vsP88c debate, I've gone back-and-forth a million times on that same topic. And, despite the reliability issues I've read about, I keep going back to the full size. Can't explain it, really...it just is what it is. Understand the arguments against, though. Appreciate it.
WingDings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
WingDings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 7
WingDings .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo80 View Post
There are a lot for sale on Gunbroker. Finding one in a local gun shop is a different story. I've seen exactly one the last decade. It's in my safe now.
I have to stay away from Gunbroker. It's like being a diabetic kid in a candy store.
GeoNole94, Jimbo80 and ameridap like this.
WingDings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
DeutschlandUberAlles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Coppell, Texas
Posts: 2,505
DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDings View Post
I have to stay away from Gunbroker. It's like being a diabetic kid in a candy store.

Hahaha, you are not the only one.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
GeoNole94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bath & G-Vegas, NC
Posts: 3,073
GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDings View Post
I have to stay away from Gunbroker.
Yeah, but GB might be your only chance to find a seller willing to ship to CA. I agree with Jimbo, you are unlikely to stumble across one at your LGS, or even on a local gun board in CA.

If you want a full-size, then get it. I chose the Compact, which is still medium to large for a “compact” gun, based on recommendations from others about relative reliability of the two designs and the last historic all-metal Ulm design that DUA mentions above.
__________________
"I don't need another 9mm pistol because I've already got a P5." Pilotsteve
"Some of my nicest Walthers are Manurhin." GeoNole94
GeoNole94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
DeutschlandUberAlles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Coppell, Texas
Posts: 2,505
DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
Yeah, but GB might be your only chance to find a seller willing to ship to CA. I agree with Jimbo, you are unlikely to stumble across one at your LGS, or even on a local gun board in CA.........

Exactly. A few weeks ago, I saw this for what it was. A rapidly disappearing opportunity.


https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...5-vintage.html
GeoNole94 likes this.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.