LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #11
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Of course. The P5 was a better gun.

M
Have to say that I'm hard-pressed to argue Mike's point. My favorite all-time range gun is the P5; it is a flawless performer, time and again, in all sorts of weather, with all varieties of ammo, year after year. I take it on virtually every range trip that I make, and I generally make four or five a month thoughout the year. The only time I don't think about shooting the P5 at the range, in fact, is when I have the P88C in my hands. I find it to be an equally flawless performer, time and again, in all sorts of weather, with all varieties of ammo, year after year. It is a joy to shot, time and again.

Truth be told, I wouldn't want to be without either one.

I could get by without a P99 (much as I like it), a P99C (much as I like it), the P1 and P4 that I often take to the range (much as I like them both). I find them all to be fun to shoot and wonderfully reliable. But I'd give them all up for the P5. I just wouldn't want to have to make the case to give up the P88C as well.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #12

sprat .22
Dieter

Mike

your comments on dieter were interesting, I had the privilege to correspond with him before he wrote his book on East German Weapons . a little background I worked for the bundesweher in 1990-1991 as a private contractor for a un-named three letter Gov't agency. I had access to most of the weapons/ammo storage facilties/depots, I saw thousands of NVA weapons plus captured WW2 rifles and pistols.

I found dieter to be pompus, former bank managers usually are, he refused to acknowledge numerous comments and experience from a variety of individuals, including myself. As he was the expert!, one contributor was a collector who as a young man liberated the Walther factory, deiter discounted this mans memory.

yes he wrote several books on the subject at hand, but I wouldn't use them as anything but reference. In college I was trained to use a variety of sources and not rely on one

yes I am new here but I have been collecting (not acummulating) Wathers rifles and pistols for over 30 years. I find the info you have provided to be first class

sprat
sprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #13

Hobe Sound, FLA .22
Question

How could the P.5 which was just an improved P.38 be better than the P.88??????

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt, 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.
Hobe Sound, FLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobe Sound PPK/S View Post
How could the P.5 which was just an improved P.38 be better than the P.88??????
Awww, you know how to rattle my cage, doncha?

The P5 was a THOROUGHLY developed and de-bugged design that passed the most stringest and demanding tests that the German police could devise, and was adopted for service (along with the SIG P6 and H&K P7). It was produced in the tens of thousands, including about 40,000 for the Dutch police alone, and other thousands more for various other countries, and has stood the test of time. No serious weaknesses ever showed up, and the performance of the gun has been exemplary. I have NEVER seen one that suffered a major failure, and I have been in a position to observe a great many.

The P5C, in turn, emerged as the winner of a very demanding and strenuous British MoD competition to select a compact 9mm pistol for its special forces. Nobody except Germans can critically test a gun like the Brits, and unlike the Germans, the Brits did not (at least then) suffer from the NIH Factor, and were not bashful about accepting a foreign gun-- as the Lee-Enfield, Browning Hi-Power and FAL attest.

Both the P5 and P5C shoot well and are utterly reliable.

Now: as to the P88. Who adopted it? Nobody. Whose tests did it ever pass? Nobody's. The XM9 version, arguably the best P88 ever made, was eliminated midway in the Aberdeen trials. Structural problems. It never again was subjected to any rigorous trial, so we really don't know what kind of endurance can be expected, especially under adverse conditions.

Because of commercial pressure to turn the investment into income, Walther was continuously changing the design on the fly. It's difficult to find two P88s that are exactly alike. When it was discontinued, it was still only a partially developed design. That is not exactly reassuring.

Total production of both standard and compact versions was probably under 15,000, certainly under 20. The structural problems were never completely cured; there were numerous frame cracks in standard guns in the 2-4,000 s/n range; they occurred where the magazine catch had been changed from the XM9 version. When confronted, Walther balked at guaranteeing the gun for more than 5,000 rounds. They claimed the P88C would exceed that, but who knows?

Don't get me wrong: I like the P88. It's an elegant gun. A gun for a gentleman. But it ain't a P5 -- which is a gun for serious business.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #15

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Interesting read.
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
But it ain't a P5 -- which is a gun for serious business.

M
Yep, and I know a guy that has 5 or 6 or ??? P5's. As for as the actual number, only his hair dresser knows.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #17

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Yep, and I know a guy that has 5 or 6 or ??? P5's. As for as the actual number, only his hair dresser knows.

"Would you believe SEVEN???"

Said that in a Don Adams "Get Smart" voice.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #18

GeoNole94 .22
Mike’s summary above is what I love about this forum, unlike the conspiracy-permeated drivel that dominates way too many gun boards. Bravo!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #19

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
Mike’s summary above is what I love about this forum, unlike the conspiracy-permeated drivel that dominates way too many gun boards. Bravo!

Hence my "bump" from its decade long slumber.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:12 AM   #20

PPK-Doxies .22
As a former CZ guy f and CZ forum.com I knew CZs in and out for 35 years.

When I turned 50, I decide that the only real interest I had in another brand would be Walther, but I also have a few XDS pistols.

I lways like to check in here and learn from the Old Hands on this forum.

When calling a fiancé comoany the other day , a customer service guy asked me what I did.

I told them that I was in LE and Corporate Secuty for most of my career, and ten ran what was the veery first BLue lives Matter mission to S.africa in the late 80-s and 90s.
because when 500 cops of all races were getting killed each year, someone had to speak out and lend support. By did I get involved, and not as a racist or ANC supporter.

17 years of Project Safestar alsi got me to be quite the CZ75 fan and CZF was born.

Basically, I'd known about the P-38 in SA POLICE service but as one who carried
aPolice Special 92-FS, was really only interested in their Z-88 or the Cee-Zeds.

Well, you get to know weaponry and things blossom/
So, I told him that as of today, I'm a Walther Colector, but have had to sell most of my old collection to be debt free and move back to Idaho.

However, I really love the Walther Forum guys,and find them to be very keen on anything Walther has ever made. I appreciate people know their guns.

He asked abut CZs and we talked for almost an hour, but in the end I think he will be buying a PPQ 9mm as his first handgun")
Forum member P88 is an hour South of me and even if he doesn't buy my Stainless PPK/s when we meet. I hope he brings a P88 or two for me to fondle.

The last one was 1990 and I think a P5C for $1,500. Three times the price of then new 92FS that I was buying in Oregon City.

[email protected]m

[email protected] if any of you guys want to discuss guns.

https://kev-rees.imgbb.com/

Last edited by PPK-Doxies; 08-26-2019 at 02:14 AM.
PPK-Doxies is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Search tags for this page
how many walther p 88 were manufactured
is the walthers p 88 compact a good handgun
new walther p88 compact for sale in united states
p-88 walther full frame
walther model 88 for sale
walther p-88 compact production ended in
walther p88 compact mod. p 88 -9
walther p88 compact price
walther p88 compact production date
walther p88 compact years of production

walther p88 full frame

when was walther p88 compact production discontinued?
Click on a term to search for related topics.