Hello and can I post this? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #11

johnski67 .22
I have not seen any police markings on these guns, except the small shaved dot in the white on the front of each trigger guard ?

There's a eagle N on the left side of the slide near the front and another eagle N on the Frame left side in front of the date code. Mine is IE on the first one indicating 1984 manufacture iirc,

I have not found any rust anywhere on the first one I purchased.
johnski67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #12

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I would be interested in knowing what German PD these came from.
Up to this point in time, I've only seen BMI lineout P5 trade-ins (and online pics of the Netherlands "N" designated P5s).
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #13

johnski67 .22
I've found one other marking other than the Ulm Antlers next to the date code and it looks like a 4-pointed star inside of a circle with a dash on one edge. But it's inside the slide next to the firing pin channel. Upon further inspection it looks like an edelweiss flower because there are leaves with veins in the center, very tiny marking. There is another more simple 4-pointed star inside a circle on the left side grip frame although more basic than the one inside the slide.

https://i.imgur.com/TaBr7zz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bPfpGMg.jpg

Last edited by johnski67; 03-21-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #14

GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
A few pwn shops in this area of Texas are not considering offers below $1100 on BMI lineout P5s.

I imagine that they will consider lower prices when those guns sit unsold for months on end. You can still buy nice to very nice commercial P5s for that kind of money. I understand that times change, inflation is relentless even when subtle, and certain buyers are impacting the market, but I bought a NOS late-variation commercial P5 for under $1,000 in 2013.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #15

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
I imagine that they will consider lower prices when those guns sit unsold for months on end. You can still buy nice to very nice commercial P5s for that kind of money. I understand that times change, inflation is relentless even when subtle, and certain buyers are impacting the market, but I bought a NOS late-variation commercial P5 for under $1,000 in 2013.

I agree with this being a crazy price, I called this "crackhead" pricing back in Oct '18. See post #70......
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...ml#post1157856

EDIT;
Just checked the GA link. Seems this pawn shop actually found a buyer willing to pay a nice condition commercial P5 price for a worn out Police trade-in.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 03-21-2019 at 10:52 AM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #16

GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
...certain buyers are impacting the market...
Somebody buying a surplus BMI line-out P5 for $1,100 wasn’t what I had in mind when I wrote this
Old 03-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #17

johnski67 .22
Answer from the seller on GB: "We got these from our European seller, and all he knew was that they were from a German police department…but not which one. It would be interesting to know, though. "

I took possession of the 2nd one today from the same dealer and it's in better shape than the first one. Looks to have never been fired, just pulled in and out of the holster. Hardly any soot anywhere unlike the first one. Made the same year, 1984 and about 700 numbers apart. Has black plastic grips and strengthened decocker. No hole in top of slide. Has a milled magazine release while the first one had a sheet metal release.

I'm happy.

Last edited by johnski67; 03-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #18
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Stink? New one on me, Mike
Instant cold blues that come in a bottle will make the gun smell like rotten eggs. Whenever you examine a used gun, run your nose over it. Also, after handling it, smell your hands. If it's been cold-blued, you'll know right away. The worst part is that it doesn't stay blue long, and turns a distinctive "bad Easter egg" color --again, unmistakeable.

And it does not "prevent rust". That's complete nonsense. If you want to keep worn bright metal from rusting, wipe it down periodically with RIG. Or apply Simoniz car wax.

M
GeoNole94 likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #19

johnski67 .22
Oil and grease do not prevent rust, unless you are going to keep all the metal parts slathered in grease. Bluing will not come off as it's a chemical reaction with the metal. If you heat up the metal parts then it will open up the metal pores and allow a better interaction of the bluing. If the bluing "comes off" then it's likely the metal there is still being rubbed and polished by something like a holster.

I've checked my guns and they don't smell like rotten eggs. Maybe I should break some eggs over my guns and leaving them in the hot sun? =D

Last edited by johnski67; 03-24-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5