Prices on P5s - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2018, 05:30 PM  
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I think I remember seeing the word 'appears' and LNIB. Those are two 'skeery' words....which means they look pretty nice...but they're NOT new, untouched, unfired (aside from test firing). What I want to see in an ad/description is NIB...and even THEN, I won't believe em' until I actually have the pistol in hand to inspect.

I recently took a chance and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:50 PM  

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Yes, the "appears NIB" and "appears unfired" are the best P5 deals IMHO, but require CLOSE examination of pics, and even contacting the seller for additional pics and/or some conversation time about ALL flaws visible on the firearm.
halfmoonclip likes this.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:02 PM  

HKaltwasser .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
You got a great deal on your P5c last week.

If you didn't purchase, I would have gotten it along with the P5 Var8 I got from them. Have #4 coming on Monday, another Var8 for shooting.
Yep, starting to feel that way. The P7 that I had in my sights went for 2,500 too. I was out long before that. 12 day auction with no bids and one day left, thought I really had a chance.......back to the p5 I was looking at ...lol.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:04 PM  

Nola .22
The P5C was described as NIB but I don't quite see it. It might or might not be better than the one I actually bought NIB at retail. I have fired mine though so small marks are to be expected. Again, I think all that other junk helps drive up these auction prices. My P5 I purchased used for $600 plus shipping. It came with stippled wood grips and offhand I like mine a little better. Not sure why I follow these auctions. i don't dare register or I'll go broke.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:25 PM  
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
OOPS, not so fast .... here's the description of the P5C:

Walther P5 Compact pistol in 9x19mm in like new condition. Comes with factory extra mag, manuals and hard case. The pistol incorporates many new design features, including a new aluminum alloy frame, trigger mechanism, dual-control mechanism,[citation needed] firing pin safety (US patent number 4313274 dated 1979, authored by Walter Ludwig). The Walther P5 is a recoil-operated, locked-breech, 9 mm semi-automatic pistol. It utilizes the same design principles as the Walther P38 pistol of World War II fame. The barrel does not tilt following firing in the way that Browning's system does, but rather moves straight back approximately 5 mm (0.20 in). This system results in a very accurate pistol since the barrel is kept parallel with the frame during/after firing. The trigger is a standard double action/single action trigger. The slide lock also doubles as the decocker and is found on the left side of the frame. Pressing it once will release the slide, pressing it a second time will drop the hammer without firing the gun. Manufactured in Ulm, West Germany, by Carl Walther Sportwaffen GmbH, the P5 was a further development of the famous Walther P38 and P1 series. Buyer responsibility to check state and local laws before bidding. Buyer responsibility to find local dealer for transfer.

I spent a few years in DC. I listened to lots of long winded BS'ers blabber. They'd sound wonderful....BUT in the end, they NEVER answered my question or committed to anything.

Just like the listing for the P5C above. He says its in like new condition. Ha, that's just his opinion...it was never his gun and he has no idea about its actual history....he just wants to sell it to the highest bidder.

He succeeded.

Here's P5 listing:

Penny start and no reserve! Up for auction is an extremely nice, still in the factory box Walther Model P5 semi automatic pistol. Chambered in 9MM, 3.5" barrel, blue finished, single/double action with de-cocker, exposed hammer, and factory fixed sights. Gun is in excellent condition with a perfect bore and action. Gun appears to be as-new and possibly unfired since the factory test fire (factory test target included). Gun also includes the original manuals, cleaning rod, and 2 factory 8 round capacity magazines. Super nice and highly collectable Walther!------------Shipping will be $25 for FedEx shipping service, local pickup is available. Additional charges for HI and Alaska shipments. Please know your local and state laws before bidding. California and C&R license holders okay to bid on approved items. 90 day Layaway available with 20% down at auction end. Texas residents must pay sales tax of 8.25%. Payments must be received within 10 days of auction end. Final price reflects a 3% cash, check, or money order discount. Credit cards are accepted but do not receive the discount and must add 3% to your purchase total. Immediate online credit card checkout is preferred but call in payments are also accepted at 4%. Returns are accepted but will have a 15% restocking fee and will only be accepted within 3 days of delivery confirmation. Return shipping is buyers responsibility. Please if you bid and win, PAY FOR YOUR ITEM!! We ship very fast with immediate tracking posted in your feedback section on Gunbroker. Thanks and good luck bidding!

More happy horsechit, and apparently, it worked.

I just want to see NIB. Not, appears................or LNIB.....
Old 08-18-2018, 06:29 PM  

Balogh .22
Today I picked up this P5c. Because in Europe the prices differ completely it would be unfair to make you drool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (28.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (30.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (31.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 PM  

Nola .22
He drew them in with the NIB caption and kept it ambiguous. You are quite correct. Careful not to claim it for real. Buyer will probably be satisfied though. The more you pay the more you value it. Both of these guns are nice and most people don't buy these as real investments. They wanted one and now they have one.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:22 PM  

GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola View Post
The more you pay the more you value it. Both of these guns are nice and most people don't buy these as real investments.
An interesting observation on price paid correlating with how much one ‘values’ a particular gun. This might explain why I really, really ‘value’ a couple of mine.

As for an investment, I have come to the conclusion that many (most?) guns are a poor to middling investment when properly corrected for inflation and other conveniently-forgotten costs (e.g., FFL fee, shipping, taxes). For example, a $1200+ P88 that seems like a lot of money now is actually worth no more than it was 30 years ago in terms of buying power. Does somebody buying a Colt Python today for $2000 really think it will be a great investment when they cash out in 20 years? Well, that is rhetorical, they might think that it is...
halfmoonclip, Jimbo80 and ronin11 like this.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM  

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
An interesting observation on price paid correlating with how much one ‘values’ a particular gun. This might explain why I really, really ‘value’ a couple of mine.

As for an investment, I have come to the conclusion that many (most?) guns are a poor to middling investment when properly corrected for inflation and other conveniently-forgotten costs (e.g., FFL fee, shipping, taxes). For example, a $1200+ P88 that seems like a lot of money now is actually worth no more than it was 30 years ago in terms of buying power. Does somebody buying a Colt Python today for $2000 really think it will be a great investment when they cash out in 20 years? Well, that is rhetorical, they might think that it is...

While I agree with all this, there are several other factors that effect the "ebb and flow" of firearm values.

I'm currently grabbing P5s. Why?.....

1) The last new P5 was produced 25 yrs ago (now a "classic")

2) This was the "end of the line" for a complex/costly to produce design (dropping lock block w/fully supported muzzle/locked breech firing). It had to be a TANK to pass the mid 1970s German trials (25k rds before a failure!!!)

3) Ulm's (Umarex?) focus on inexpensive Tupperware makes ANYTHING, even SLIGHTLY resembling the design/tolerances, or materials (all metal), HIGHLY unlikely. If it WERE to happen, MIM throughout (building to a price point).

4) The "dump" of police "turn-ins" a few year ago ($300 BMI lineout anyone?) seriously depressed values of the US Commercial P5s (market STILL recovering).The Commercial P5s in the US carried an MSRP of around $900 during production, not an inexpensive firearm by any means.

5) The party in control (state and federal) will not always be pro 2nd A (we have Beto running for Senate here in Texas, an "F" from the NRA).

6) The Netherlands destroying almost 1/2 the P5s ever produced (finished this task around 5 yrs ago).

7) There's a firearm currently in production that's similar to the P5 design, compare the two side by side. The P5 excels in every way, even the ones "inspected/custom tuned" by a well know custom firearm manufacturer are sub-par. I would mention the name, but that has me enduring the "slings and arrows" of an "axe to grind" claim, with false accusations mixed in. Doubt it can shoot a bench rested sub 1" group (8rds at 25 meters), even with 1.5" of additional barrel length.

Seems to me the factors affecting P5 current prices vs future values are aligned better then most other firearms at this time.

Add to that, the dichotomy that IS the P5. Considered by many to be among the VERY finest of Walther Ulm production, yet at the same time, know as the "forgotten" Walther.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03424 (2).jpg (21.9 KB, 15 views)
halfmoonclip and GeoNole94 like this.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 08-22-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:34 PM  

HKaltwasser .22
Well i just got notice that i won a P5 shooter for 490.00 . This will be a refinish police gun to blast away. I will have this one refinished.

On another note, Ted Cruz for the win, down with Beto!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Search tags for this page
price for a walter p5 9mm
value of a nib walther p5

value of a walther p-5 pistol

value of a walther p5
value of walther p5

walther p5

walther p5 9mm price

walther p5 compact price
walther p5 compact with 9mm and 7.65 barrels set

walther p5 price

walther p5 value
walther p5 values
Click on a term to search for related topics.