Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Like Tree172Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #161
Supporting Member

scubatiger .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by matquig View Post
There is a bunch of L102A1's available as a lot; 11 for $45,000. I think that is a bit high as a lot. If an investor was to buy the lot, he would expect to make a profit selling them individually, and I would expect individual pricing to be somewhere between $3200 - $3500, based on a recent pricing and sale. To make a fair profit, the lot might be worth $27,000-$30,000. What do you all think?
While I understand your suggested analysis based on the prices of some individual specimens, there are a couple of material factors in play here. First, unlike standard P5Cs, so few of these units ever come to market that it is very tough to establish any sort of norm or blue book value on them. There simply aren't enough public transaction records available. Second, this is an unparalleled opportunity for a discerning collector to immediately realize a grouping that literally may never be available again anywhere. I have worked for more than 10 years acquiring this collection, and I can assure you my hard cost in them is more than $30,000. According to Earl Sheehan, there were less than 100 total L102A1 units imported into the US. Where else could one instantly obtain more than 10% of the total market of such an extremely rare commodity - including 2 consecutive serial pairs? Given those factors, I think my price is quite fair, but of course, that's up to the market. I just wanted to offer them to the intimate Walther community before going to the open markets such as Gunbroker or Rock Island Auctions.
scubatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #162

Jimbo80 .22
Collector vs Investor is a big difference. For an investor the price is way to high (IMO). Typically an investor will look to pay half retail. Finding the collector willing to pay retail++ to buy the lot is going to be problematic also (IMO). Very few collectors want or need so many examples of the same pistol and those that might will surely expect a better price. Best bet would be DUA and I notice not even he is jumping on the deal
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #163
Supporting Member

scubatiger .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo80 View Post
Collector vs Investor is a big difference. For an investor the price is way to high (IMO). Typically an investor will look to pay half retail. Finding the collector willing to pay retail++ to buy the lot is going to be problematic also (IMO). Very few collectors want or need so many examples of the same pistol and those that might will surely expect a better price. Best bet would be DUA and I notice not even he is jumping on the deal
I agree that it would most likely need to be a 'collector'. And yes, it's going to need to be just the right person. I still firmly believe the rarity of this particular piece justifies the price. But of course, that will also be up to any potential buyer. We'll see.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #164

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo80 View Post

I have other firearms to collect in that price range.

In fact, I just grabbed a spotless numbers matching JV Martz 1900 American Eagle DWM Luger in 7.65 Para (30 Luger) this AM, in the $3k price range. Serial # puts its production just after the Luger US Trials guns (these have sold for up to $1 million, now trade ownership for ~ $.5 million).

Crazy condition for a 120 year old firearm.

As is well know, I'm not a big fan of the P5 Compact looks, and parkered guns in the 4.5k price range have to be rarer then Walthers from the '90s for me.

I dropped out of a GB P5C NIB auction last night at ~$1600.00 Was bidding it just to round out my collection.

Drop another NIB P5Lang in front of me at $5k, I'm there!
Jimbo80 likes this.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 10-21-2019 at 06:05 PM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #165

matquig .22
I recently bought an unfired L102A1 for $3200 from a member of this site less than a year ago. I find it hard to justify an AVERAGE of $4500 per gun, and the necessity to buy 11, to assume ownership of similar guns. I'm sorry, but a few consecutives doesn't drive the value of the average unfired L102 up $1300 over what I have seen to be "market price". The fact of the matter is that you may have simply overpaid along the way to acquire this collection. You may find that one guy in a million that wants the set as-is, or you may have to hang on to the guns until the market is ready for a $4500 L102A1, or sell them individually for what people will pay for them.
Jimbo80 likes this.
matquig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #166
Supporting Member

scubatiger .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by matquig View Post
I recently bought an unfired L102A1 for $3200 from a member of this site less than a year ago. I find it hard to justify an AVERAGE of $4500 per gun, and the necessity to buy 11, to assume ownership of similar guns. I'm sorry, but a few consecutives doesn't drive the value of the average unfired L102 up $1300 over what I have seen to be "market price". The fact of the matter is that you may have simply overpaid along the way to acquire this collection. You may find that one guy in a million that wants the set as-is, or you may have to hang on to the guns until the market is ready for a $4500 L102A1, or sell them individually for what people will pay for them.
Congrats on your purchase - that's a good find. But there is absolutely no measurable "market price" on a gun of which less than 100 specimens exist. How many have you seen on the "market" in the last 2 years? Name any other firearm produced in such low numbers that can be purchased for less? The P5C and its variations have historically been undervalued, but have risen materially in the last 5 years. I bought and sold a dozen standard P5Cs in the early-mid 2000s - all ranging from $600-$1200. Now, you'll be lucky to get a NIB P5C for under $2K. The L102A1s should be at least a $5K gun, and someday, they will be. Of course, this group will take just the right collector, who understands the incredible rarity of such a find. So if you don't like the price - no problem. But folks please, at least do your basic math correctly. I am NOT asking $4500 ea. $45,000/11 = $4090.91.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #167

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Sorry about that math, was in the midst of running out to my FFL and the post office, (to get the wheels turning on the Martz Luger deal that closed yesterday AM).

Hope I didn't make it sound like the price was out of line, there are a few hardcore collectors that will see that price as acceptable. Will just take some time.

If I had the collection, it would be split up into 9 auctions (the 7 individuals, and 2 pairs), spread out over approx 2 years (as to avoid diminished value due to market "flooding"). The first auction would be a .01 min bid w/o reserve, this would gage current market value, sells too low, list the other 10 as a "lot only" with reserve.

Also, those willing to pay $45,000.00 for 11 handguns are HEAVY hitters, and will most likely be shopping the international market, so the "only 100" should include "in the US".
scubatiger likes this.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 10-22-2019 at 09:46 AM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #168
Supporting Member

scubatiger .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
Sorry about that math, was in the midst of running out to my FFL and the post office, (to get the wheels turning on the Martz Luger deal that closed yesterday AM).

Hope I didn't make it sound like the price was out of line, there are a few hardcore collectors that will see that price as acceptable. Will just take some time.

If I had the collection, it would be split up into 9 auctions (the 7 individuals, and 2 pairs), spread out over approx 2 years (as to avoid diminished value due to market "flooding"). The first auction would be a .01 min bid w/o reserve, this would gage current market value, sells too low, list the other 10 as a "lot only" with reserve.

Also, those willing to pay $45,000.00 for 11 handguns are HEAVY hitters, and will most likely be shopping the international market, so the "only 100" should include "in the US".
No worries - I appreciate the clarification and the suggestions. Yes, breaking them up and selling individually (or in consec pairs) is certainly an option. And maybe I'll need to do that. That would just be an exhaustively time-consuming process that I'd rather avoid. And I understand your point about the 100 in the 'US'. However, in my extensive research on these guns, of the 3000 total that were produced, approx 2800 went to the British MoD and were later decommissioned and destroyed. Other than Tanfolio's, I am not aware of any material collection of these outside of the US. Not saying there aren't any, but with significant firearm ownership restrictions in much of the rest of the world, I would think it highly unlikely that another large quantity exists elsewhere.
ronin11 likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #169

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatiger View Post
No worries - I appreciate the clarification and the suggestions. Yes, breaking them up and selling individually (or in consec pairs) is certainly an option. And maybe I'll need to do that. That would just be an exhaustively time-consuming process that I'd rather avoid. And I understand your point about the 100 in the 'US'. However, in my extensive research on these guns, of the 3000 total that were produced, approx 2800 went to the British MoD and were later decommissioned and destroyed. Other than Tanfolio's, I am not aware of any material collection of these outside of the US. Not saying there aren't any, but with significant firearm ownership restrictions in much of the rest of the world, I would think it highly unlikely that another large quantity exists elsewhere.
Had no idea the British MoD destroyed their examples. That would leave ~200 total examples remaining worldwide.

I would think you and Tanfolio are holding the two largest collections in the world.

Unreal how ~50% of the P5s (all models) produced have been destroyed, the Netherlands melted down over 50,000 of the ~105,000 3.5" barrel P5s. There was no need for that, I would have GLADLY given them my address and paid shipping fees.
scubatiger likes this.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:29 AM   #170

Jimbo80 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatiger View Post
That would just be an exhaustively time-consuming process that I'd rather avoid.
When trying to make a profit reselling guns purchased retail from Earl you need to expect an exhaustively time consuming process. As DUA said the best way is to take a couple of years to do it.
GeoNole94 likes this.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Search tags for this page
price for a walter p5 9mm
value of a nib walther p5

value of a walther p-5 pistol

value of a walther p5
value of walther p5

walther p5

walther p5 9mm price

walther p5 compact price
walther p5 compact with 9mm and 7.65 barrels set

walther p5 price

walther p5 value
walther p5 values
Click on a term to search for related topics.