WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Like Tree159Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #151

calla23 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
^^^^^Nice pistol....exceptional workmanship.
Highly recommend him for refinishing or restoration!
calla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #152

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by calla23 View Post
.......When I had sent in my first to be done (SIG P210), he called me and offered to have the import marks removed. I was surprised as I just always assumed there were laws against this. I trusted his decision though, as he’s known for working on high end firearms and some reputable 1911 makers......

I always thought there were laws requiring the retention of import markings too. This is good to know.
calla23 likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #153
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
I always thought there were laws requiring the retention of import markings too. This is good to know.
The federal law applies only to licensed importers and manufacturers, and does not require the retention of ANY markings (except the serial number) by a dealer or an end user.

In 50 years I've never seen an actual BATF prosecution over the issue of whether an import marking was "conspicuous", as that is purely a matter of opinion and lacks prosecutorial appeal.

BATF has taken the position that if the grips have to be removed to find the marking, that is not "conspicuous" (which is hard to argue with). Many years of disputes with importers over whether markings were legible, or large enough or deep enough finally led BATF to promulgate, a decade or so ago, a regulation specifying marking requirements in greater detail. This is found at 27 CFR 478.92.

However: state laws do not necessarily follow the same path. There are some state statutes which prohibit removal of "manufacturer's" identification markings, so before proceeding one needs to check those laws as well.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #154

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Seems like these laws are written in such a manner that, it's NOT a problem, unless we WANT it to be. I always like to proceed on the side of caution when dealing with items involving Federal agencies.
I'm funny that way.
calla23 likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #155

calla23 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
The federal law applies only to licensed importers and manufacturers, and does not require the retention of ANY markings (except the serial number) by a dealer or an end user.

In 50 years I've never seen an actual BATF prosecution over the issue of whether an import marking was "conspicuous", as that is purely a matter of opinion and lacks prosecutorial appeal.

BATF has taken the position that if the grips have to be removed to find the marking, that is not "conspicuous" (which is hard to argue with). Many years of disputes with importers over whether markings were legible, or large enough or deep enough finally led BATF to promulgate, a decade or so ago, a regulation specifying marking requirements in greater detail. This is found at 27 CFR 478.92.

However: state laws do not necessarily follow the same path. There are some state statutes which prohibit removal of "manufacturer's" identification markings, so before proceeding one needs to check those laws as well.

M
Thank you for that info!
calla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #156

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Nice New Old Stock condition Commercial P5, with all papers, box, 2nd mag, ending in 8 hours, 1k min bid has not been made.

Nice 6th Var (final Var) P5 for the price.

If nobody bids on it, I'll place the min bid. I have lots of room in my new safe.
PPS1980 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #157

GeoNole94 .22
Crappy photo, but the SN for the barrel doesn’t appear to match. Nor does the manual.
ronin11 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #158

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
Crappy photo, but the SN for the barrel doesn’t appear to match. Nor does the manual.

Glad I got busy yesterday and didn't purchase that one. Missed that detail.
GeoNole94 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM   #159

matquig .22
There is a bunch of L102A1's available as a lot; 11 for $45,000. I think that is a bit high as a lot. If an investor was to buy the lot, he would expect to make a profit selling them individually, and I would expect individual pricing to be somewhere between $3200 - $3500, based on a recent pricing and sale. To make a fair profit, the lot might be worth $27,000-$30,000. What do you all think?
matquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #160

GeoNole94 .22
Agreed, based on the few that I have seen for sale the last number of years. Good luck with your negotiations, matquig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Search tags for this page
price for a walter p5 9mm
value of a nib walther p5

value of a walther p-5 pistol

value of a walther p5

walther p5

walther p5 9mm price

walther p5 compact price
walther p5 compact with 9mm and 7.65 barrels set

walther p5 price

walther p5 value
walther p5 values
walther p99 9mm holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.