WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #141

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by matquig View Post
Buying something rare on the international market might be the way to go, but import duties/costs can be 20-30%, much like those domestic, high end auctions. I bought a SIG P210 seven years ago from a dealer in Switzerland, and was a bit surprised by all the import stuff, but learned my lesson. Even so, I can get it all back now if I ever decide to sell.

The trick is buying a few before doing the paperwork. Adding a 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....gun to the Export/Import documents adds VERY little to the bottom line. I grabbed an ex-DeutscheBank Munich branch security P5 to import with my Lang.

If I were to sell the DeutscheBank P5 now (~1 year later) it would cover the cost of that P5, AND recoup all my Export/Import fees on both guns.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #142

matquig .22
As far as import marks, the importer is required to mark them as prescribed by BATFE, but if those marks are lost during "refinishing" by the end user/owner, I believe that that is not a crime or violation of the import/marking laws. The shallow, laser engraved import marks on the bottom of the mag well could very easily be "lost", and if all laws have been complied with along the way, that would surely be a shame......
matquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #143

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
As far as import marks, the importer is required to mark them as prescribed by BATFE, but if those marks are lost during "refinishing" by the end user/owner, I believe that that is not a crime or violation of the import/marking laws. The shallow, laser engraved import marks on the bottom of the mag well could very easily be "lost", and if all laws have been complied with along the way, that would surely be a shame......

I would expect a reputable refinisher to replace any/all required markings on a firearm.

I would even expect a DIYer who wants to keep the BATFE off their butt to retain all these markings.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #144

calla23 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
I would have been a bidder if TAI had posted that NIB Lang with a 5k min bid. If you REALLY wanted a Lang, that was the time to act. Not many come up for sale in the US. I found a used one for sale in Europe and grabbed it.

Post up some pics of that Lang package when it arrives, looked nice in the GB pics.
That what I kept on saying to myself and couldnít pass it up. First one Iíve personally seen for sale in the States. I bought the the ďWalther: A German Success StoryĒ book a week before I saw the listing. That just fueled my desire to want one even more. Iíll post the pics the day I get it. Already bought and received the Nill target grips and canít wait to get her dressed up!
calla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #145

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by calla23 View Post
That what I kept on saying to myself and couldn’t pass it up. First one I’ve personally seen for sale in the States. I bought the the “Walther: A German Success Story” book a week before I saw the listing. That just fueled my desire to want one even more. I’ll post the pics the day I get it. Already bought and received the Nill target grips and can’t wait to get her dressed up!

Hahaha, I had the Nill Target grips before the Lang too. Looking forward to seeing yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03555 (2).jpg (149.0 KB, 5 views)
calla23 likes this.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #146

matquig .22
Quote:
I would expect a reputable refinisher to replace any/all required markings on a firearm.

I would even expect a DIYer who wants to keep the BATFE off their butt to retain all these markings.
With all due respect, I personally would have to seriously consider the price that any refinisher would have to charge to insure that ALL markings on a firearm to be polished, blasted, or refinished in a any way be retained. If markings were light , it would involve engraving to deepen light markings ,and this mght be cost prohibitive. To EXPECT a refinisher to include this would also have an expectation of a very high cost to do so. So, depending on what a person is expecting to pay, refinishing might be out of the question, or a compromise on what markings are retained, to be the issue at hand.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:20 AM   #147

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
A registered firearms importer has to mark firearms with his name, city and state. He also has to comply with all other import rules, like retrofitting certain firearms with a safety or complying with the points and minimum dimension requirements.

There is no law that I am aware of, that does not allow the end user to return the firearm to the original condition, i.e. remove a safety, target grips, magazine, fixed barrel extensions or import markings to comply with the minimum size requirements. The serial number is, of course, a different thing. Obliterating it would cause legal problems.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #148

matquig .22
^^^Thanks. I concur. I believe you are spot on the BATFE rules on this.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #149

calla23 .22
Quote:

Iíve had 4 pistols ďrestoredĒ by Glenrock Blue. All 4 has the import marks removed. Some had roll marks deepened and 1 had the serial number (which was stenciled) removed and re-engraved. It was one of those surplus 3Ē Manurhin MR73ís. When I had sent in my first to be done (SIG P210), he called me and offered to have the import marks removed. I was surprised as I just always assumed there were laws against this. I trusted his decision though, as heís known for working on high end firearms and some reputable 1911 makers.
Iíll try try and post some before and after picks. Iíve also tried to look into the exact laws, but itís kind of vague. Jim
If I did this correctly, the before pic is a stock photo. Couldnít find my original pics.
calla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #150
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
^^^^^Nice pistol....exceptional workmanship.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Search tags for this page
price for a walter p5 9mm
value of a nib walther p5

value of a walther p-5 pistol

value of a walther p5

walther p5

walther p5 9mm price

walther p5 compact price
walther p5 compact with 9mm and 7.65 barrels set

walther p5 price

walther p5 value
walther p5 values
walther p99 9mm holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.