Finally a Classic Walther for me - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Like Tree302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Finally a Classic Walther for me

I gave up on putting a P38 in my safe after months of seeing sorry condition P38s with crazy prices.

Came across a NIB Var4 P5 (complete package as shipped from Ulm) @ Cabala's Ft Worth that appears to be unfired after shipment from Ulm.

Not the best deal on a P5 (with tax put it in the 4 figure range), but like I told OldFart (he was my wingman on the deal, even brought the list of Var serial #s on his 30 mile drive), I will ALWAYS pay a premium to add an exceptional example of ANY firearm to my collection. Thanks OF.

It's so clean, I'm now looking for a well worn P5 to actually shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03419 (2).jpg (38.6 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 07-28-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: P38 changed to P38s
DeutschlandUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Hee, hee......yep, that P5 will continue its pampered life as a safe queen. Heck, I'd do it too.....its just too nice to flub up.

I've been watching gunbroker for a shooter too......
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

axyardbob .22
Found my first in a pawn shop , exmilitary ,two mags ,that's it . Didn't know anything about them at the time except it was a Walther ,how could I possibly go wrong? . Went home did research Holy Cats ,what a find . Then to the range , it shot like a dream ,very happy camper . My second was in a newspaper ad that ran for two weeks ,I was the only caller . It was pristine commercial model all the goodies . Then the C went on my short list of Grail guns , and Crazyteacher lived up to his name crazy he contacted me and I bought his ( Thanks again crazy ) . Did the P-38 magazine conversion thing ( thanks Pilotsteve ) . Found holsters for both types of pistol and even matching mag holsters by the same manufacturer. To quote Pilotsteve " I don't need another 9 mm ,I have a P-5 " ,but I have a small frame ,don't want to lose them if I have to use them ,so I carry P938 . Wish I could find a vertical shoulder holster for the C though ,I do love shooting that pistole . Congratulations on your find ,you are going to love it . Ayb
axyardbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #4

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Sub 1" 6rd minimum group @ 25 meters (center to center). Could be a 7 or 8 rd grouping after closer inspection.

It sure groups well!

Impressive for a 3.5 barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03424 (2).jpg (21.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 07-29-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
I saw a post here on Walther Forums where it was stated these P5s are addictive.

I have to agree.

I'm going to look at a "shooter" P5 near Garland, TX tomorrow.

Seems the price I paid for the Cabala's P5 was not too bad, all the well used/not abused P5 I've seen F/S online are OVER the Cabala's P5 NIB price point.

I guess I got bitten by the P5 bug right when the used ones are no longer 3 figure firearms. Me thinks the Dutch government destroying over 50,000 used P5 police units, combined with the used German police unit all sold/gone, P5 deals are a thing of the past.

Am I the only one who thinks the P5Cs look unbalanced/front heavy, Walther leaving off the front/side slide cuts done on the P5 make it look "muzzle fat".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5Destruction.jpg (13.6 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 07-29-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

GeoNole94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschlandUberAlles View Post
Seems the price I paid for the Cabala's P5 was not too bad, all the well used/not abused P5 I've seen F/S online are OVER the P5 NIB price point.
[snip]
Am I the only one who thinks the P5Cs look unbalanced/front heavy, Walther leaving off the front/side slide cuts done on the P5 make it look "muzzle fat".
North of $1k is typical for LNIB P5s nowadays. I paid right at $1k for a late-model, NOS, commercial P5 around five years ago. However, I immediately shot it and I never looked back. IMO, life is too short to keep a fine pistol like a P5 as a safe queen. As for value, shooting it wonít degrade the value much or any unless you are outright abusive to the pistol. Too many people forget to factor in inflation when they talk about their firearms as an investment. In reality, most guns are middling to poor investments, but once again, YMMV.

I used to think the way that you do about the compactís appearance, but once I got one my impression changed completely. Be ready to shell out double what you spent on that nice P5 for an equivalent-condition compact. There are reasons that they cost so much
Old 07-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #7

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNole94 View Post
North of $1k is typical for LNIB P5s nowadays. I paid right at $1k for a late-model, NOS, commercial P5 around five years ago. However, I immediately shot it and I never looked back. IMO, life is too short to keep a fine pistol like a P5 as a safe queen. As for value, shooting it won’t degrade the value much or any unless you are outright abusive to the pistol. Too many people forget to factor in inflation when they talk about their firearms as an investment. In reality, most guns are middling to poor investments, but once again, YMMV.

I used to think the way that you do about the compact’s appearance, but once I got one my impression changed completely. Be ready to shell out double what you spent on that nice P5 for an equivalent-condition compact. There are reasons that they cost so much

Part of not feeling good at first about the Cabala's P5 purchase was the reality of paying full sticker at a huge retailer, in their exclusive library room no less.

I now realize why I returned with OF the day after seeing it for the 1st time, it was priced VERY well.

My P5 was on display for less then 72 hrs, I was at Cabala's twice this week before the trip to purchase. The associate who handled my purchase commented he had just put that P5 on display.
GeoNole94 and ronin11 like this.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 07-29-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

PPS1980 .22
Congratulations. I feel your pain on the sticker shock but it is a very nice weapon. Enjoy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #9

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
Congratulations. I feel your pain on the sticker shock but it is a very nice weapon. Enjoy.

Thanks PPS1980.

I actually find it enjoyable just field stripping and racking.

The P5 is DRIPPING with excellent German design combined with tolerances/clearances that are on par with todays "custom" firearms.

The P5 makes my new WC Beretta 92G Brig Tac seem sloppy, a firearm that cost me over 30% more!

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 07-29-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #10

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Is anyone here bidding the NIB P5 being sold by CDNN Sports?

I am currently high bidder, and already having a NIB P5, I will let another Walther Forum member have it. Let me know!

If no Walther Forum bidders, I will attempt to get it.
Pilotsteve and FergusandCo like this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P5

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.