P22 with 1,300 gram (2 Lbs 14 oz.) trigger weight - Page 5 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #41

1917-1911M .38
The road to a, shall we say target trigger, is not straightforward in the P22. The process is pretty simple, as the trigger is pulled the trigger spring raises the rear of the trigger bar to engage the sear....two rear legs on the trigger bar and two bottom legs on the sear. The sear has to arms which engage two hammer hooks. Now with a bit of work all of this can be squared up,,,,,sort of.

But what I see with nearly every set up on a P22 that I've fooled with is that as the hammer is let forward slowly against the sear....the sear can and many times does move to one side or the other. I expect this is due to uneven pressure on the hammer and sear from the way the springs are wound and the way they press off center on the two parts. This means the parts are floating about a bit but the slack is taken out as the parts mate. Then of course there is play between the parts and the pins they rotate on and the pins themselves aren't precisely fit into the frame after a few thousand rounds.

Plinker it is and $3,000 target pistol it isn't....but it is still far more accurate than I, off hand. Simply removing the amount of distance the sear has to move across the hammer hooks seems to be a good way to reduce creep. Of course you need a safe engagement but if 3mm is cut down to 1mm of movement there simply isn't much room for creep anyway. 1917
Crete likes this.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #42

Crete .22
If creep is the feeling that there is a small amount of dragging between the hammer and the sear when the trigger is squeezed, as far as I can tell there is none in my set-up. Thankfully.
Crete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #43

1917-1911M .38
Yes, my definition is felt movement of the sear against the hammer hooks as the trigger is pulled. Sometimes slipping, sometime notchy/jerky drag, some people have even mentioned a squeal....never experienced that one my self. I have created some crummy triggers in my time...stacking, felt movement when all of a sudden the trigger slips 1/8" and the sear then grabs again....sometimes not. Fast, long DA trigger pull at 8 lbs, not much of that matters. Target shooting....a good trigger is a must.

Now those fancy standards you are shooting can have all kinds of mechanical advantage designed into them that won't be in a plinker. For my purposes the P22 can be made to have a good trigger and the barrel is certainly accurate enough for 25M. I just wish it were constructed a little better with better material. Other manufactures seem to turn out pistols in this price range that are not cast, mim'd, made of zinc, etc. I wrote Daniel my wish list for improving the P22 again....or for a new .22 pistol that is well made, light and accurate and with better sight options. 1917
Crete and BobJarnagin like this.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:01 AM   #44

Crete .22
A steel slide could surely be made to mimic the weight of the current Zamac one, OR a heavier slide with a somewhat different main- and hammer- tensioning springs. Some experimentation aided by a well designed program could yield a prototype that would never crack. The current slide that breaks at the drop of a hat is totally unacceptable for reliability.

Then use Colt's 1911 trigger (if at all possible) or any from other Walther models, as there are so many good designs available that allow a flawless trigger break. The current factory P22 trigger is totally unacceptable for accuracy.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #45

1917-1911M .38
The P22 layout is somewhat similar to a Colt 1911. Linkages are straight behind the trigger. Many pistols have a trigger bar outside the frame which means pressures are not symmetrical as they are in a 1911 or P22. Of course the 1911 is SA only and my P22 is now SA only....really the only way I shoot my target version anyway.....no need for DA.

The front of the trigger bar moves rearward off the center of the trigger. The trigger spring is even wound so that lift is centered and not of a torsion design where pressure is on one side. Of course a small change to the inside of the frame could guide the trigger bar with no need for the trigger spring to lift the trigger bar...but the existing system up to this point is pretty straight forward.
How about a better hammer spring and sear spring design. Mainspring in the grip...seems easy enough. Many small pistols still find room for one...they rarely fail also. The sear has much less pressure on it so it would be the last piece to benefit from a better spring but...square engagement with the hammer would always be a benefit.

Walther produced some modular target .22s that did not sell. I never saw one, thought they were odd looking and don't remember reading any rave reviews. So I guess the pistol still needs to look good, have good ergonomics but as long as the P22 is selling like hotcakes....expect few changes. Latest change...captured guide rod that looks just like the aftermarket ones that have been developed by others and some type of lever connecting the safety in some manner for decocking. Then again...I've yet to see one of those anywhere even though they are a year old now. 1917
Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #46

Crete .22
The modular Walther SP-22 has a Match version designated as the M-4 (vid below).

I have heard that the trigger in the SP-series was not that great. The M4 may have a different one. I do not really know.

The Walther SP-22 M4 is rare around here, as the P22 rules supreme.

Re your suggestions: I like the idea of a mainspring in the grip and the hammer and sear spring sets need a rethink.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #47

1917-1911M .38
There has never been one of those pistols or any of its siblings in Birmingham, AL. Nope, never, narry a one. No new P22 QD either...I've looked. Presently there are no Ruger MK IVs either. I commented that they must be selling like hot cakes...nope said the owner/sales reps...Ruger said send em all back, don't sell any more until we get them sorted.....weird safety issue....you can read about it at RFC. Funny that some of the fan boys defend the pistol....even though Ruger rightly recalled it. Basically, the safety can hang up half on, half off. The trigger can not be made to fire in the half way position. However....if someone or something presses the trigger while in the sort of safe position....although the pistol will not fire...the moment someone presses the safety down to the fire position...the pistol will fire....no trigger pressure required. I'd call that a problem. So does Ruger. Fanboys...... When something is not right it's wrong. 1917

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page

content

walther p22 trigger pull

Click on a term to search for related topics.