WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

ernhrts3n8 .22
Unhappy Ammo failing to eject when either shooting or racking the slide

Hi all,

I am very new to firearms and may not know all the correct terminology. I purchased a Walther P22CA less than two weeks ago. I took it out two times and it fired perfectly (probably 300 rounds). I cleaned it and took it out again and now the bullet fails to eject probably 70% of the time after firing the gun and even when I just rack the slide with a full magazine.

I called where I purchased the firearm and they said that they don't take them back.

Any ideas in plain English...LOL

Thanks in advance!
ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Dye

Dye .22
What ammo are you using?
Dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #3

Wildtoad .22
Not really direct help but incase you don’t know, your pistol has a lifetime warranty with Walther. So if you don’t figure it out, give them a call. If they can’t solve it over the phone they will fix it at no cost to you including shipping both ways. I’ll echo Dye’s question in regards to ammo. If not already using try CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets. These little guns need high performance ammo.

When you say fail to eject when firing, what does it do? Is the casing still in the barrel and slide closed? Slide locked back but casing in the barrel?

Have you tried the drop test which simply is placing a bullet in the barrel ( do this with the slide off) and then holding the gun up. If it fails to drop out keep cleaning the barrel.
Dye likes this.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22

Last edited by Wildtoad; 01-08-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Dye

Dye .22
I have only had any great success with CCI Mini Mags and Remington Golden Bullet. Also the Remington Golden Bullet tended to leave my barrel in a far less fouled condition than many other .22's. anything else I've used was inadequate to the task of cycling the slide completely to eject the spent casing.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:12 PM   #5

ernhrts3n8 .22
I am using the suggested CCI LR
Old 01-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

ernhrts3n8 .22
I have not heard of the drop test. The slide stays back....even when racking the slide without firing it.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

ernhrts3n8 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildtoad View Post
Not really direct help but incase you donít know, your pistol has a lifetime warranty with Walther. So if you donít figure it out, give them a call. If they canít solve it over the phone they will fix it at no cost to you including shipping both ways. Iíll echo Dyeís question in regards to ammo. If not already using try CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets. These little guns need high performance ammo.

When you say fail to eject when firing, what does it do? Is the casing still in the barrel and slide closed? Slide locked back but casing in the barrel?

Have you tried the drop test which simply is placing a bullet in the barrel ( do this with the slide off) and then holding the gun up. If it fails to drop out keep cleaning the barrel.

Just tried the drop test and the bullet does NOT fall out
Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #8

ernhrts3n8 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildtoad View Post
Not really direct help but incase you donít know, your pistol has a lifetime warranty with Walther. So if you donít figure it out, give them a call. If they canít solve it over the phone they will fix it at no cost to you including shipping both ways. Iíll echo Dyeís question in regards to ammo. If not already using try CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets. These little guns need high performance ammo.

Just tried the drop test and the bullet does NOT fall out

Edit...falls out if I shake the gun
Old 01-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #9

ernhrts3n8 .22
I was just looking at my ammo and even though the same brand..one is a lead head and the other is a copper head and I am finding that it is the copper head that is having the problem ejecting. Does anyone think that with a new ejector that it will make a difference. I have probably 2000 rounds of the copperhead so I am hoping that I would still be able to use the copperhead bullets.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
Dye

Dye .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhrts3n8 View Post
I was just looking at my ammo and even though the same brand..one is a lead head and the other is a copper head and I am finding that it is the copper head that is having the problem ejecting. Does anyone think that with a new ejector that it will make a difference. I have probably 2000 rounds of the copperhead so I am hoping that I would still be able to use the copperhead bullets.
It probably isn't ejecting because it doesn't have enough pressure to cycle the slide properly. Buy some CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets and see if those cycle and eject properly. I'd be surprised if that didn't solve your issue.

Also I recommend cleaning your barrel thoroughly with a brass brush and good barrel cleaning solvent.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22