Ammo failing to eject when either shooting or racking the slide - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #11

ernhrts3n8 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dye View Post
It probably isn't ejecting because it doesn't have enough pressure to cycle the slide properly. Buy some CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden Bullets and see if those cycle and eject properly. I'd be surprised if that didn't solve your issue.

Also I recommend cleaning your barrel thoroughly with a brass brush and good barrel cleaning solvent.

I did clean the barrel again today and the copperheads are still having a problem ejecting when I pull the slide back....I did not go to the range. The lead head bullets are ejecting when I pull the slide out so that is what is making me think it is the copper. Again, I am new to this so I may be way off base :-)
ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #12

Wildtoad .22
I’d get rid of the lead bullets they tend to foul the barrel more. I used to use Blazer Brass also made by CCI with less than good results. If you have CCI Mini Mags (which are different than other CCI 22’s) or any bullet for that matter not dropping out on their own weight there is an issue with the barrel. Are you using a brass brush when cleaning the barrel? Are you using anything like Hoppes to dissolve lead and powder residue? To be fair I have had a batch of MiniMags have excess material (wax?) on them. I assume you are starting out with a dry barrel and not one with lube in it.
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:04 PM   #13

ernhrts3n8 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildtoad View Post
I’d get rid of the lead bullets they tend to foul the barrel more. I used to use Blazer Brass also made by CCI with less than good results. If you have CCI Mini Mags (which are different than other CCI 22’s) or any bullet for that matter not dropping out on their own weight there is an issue with the barrel. Are you using a brass brush when cleaning the barrel? Are you using anything like Hoppes to dissolve lead and powder residue? To be fair I have had a batch of MiniMags have excess material (wax?) on them. I assume you are starting out with a dry barrel and not one with lube in it.

But why would the lead bullets come right out but not the CCI Mini Mags or CCI 22LR ones?

Yes I am using a brass brush.

I did not use Hoppes...I used One-step CLR. Is there a big difference?

Old 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #14
Dye

Dye .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhrts3n8 View Post
But why would the lead bullets come right out but not the CCI Mini Mags or CCI 22LR ones?

Yes I am using a brass brush.

I did not use Hoppes...I used One-step CLR. Is there a big difference?
Like, stainless steel cleaner?
Dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #15
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
CCI LR would apply to all its 22 ammo. You referred to “recommended” ammo. What specifically was recommended? Is the bullet all copper or copper jacketed? Provide the name of the specific ammo on the box. In will look it up and see if it is low velocity or quiet which would mean it is lower pressure and that could be the problem.
The other possibility is that the extractor was damaged when you cleaned the gun. I think that is unlikely. I think the actual ammo that fails to extract is the problem.

USMC: 1959 to 1969
Vietnam: 2 tours as combat photographer
Pursuits: photography and videography
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #16

ernhrts3n8 .22
The ammunition is CCI standard velocity. I am at work so I can't actually look at the container.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #17
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
Quote:
The ammunition is CCI standard velocity. I am at work so I can't actually look at the container.
I looked up the stats for several popular rounds of CC ammo and yer standard velocity. When you look at the number you will see that Standard Velocity has the least power in terms of muzzle energy and energy.It has the same velocity as CCI Sub Sonic which is made to be less powerful

Here is the list.

Standard: velocity: velocity=1070 energy=102
Sub Sonic: velocity=1070 energy=102
Mini Mag RN: velocity=1235 energy=125
Mini Mag HP veloxity=1260. energy=127

The Mini Mag rounds have 25% more power than the other two. That power is relative the the force of the slide’s rearward movement. 25% is actually quite meaningful in 22 caliber because it is generally an underpowered round. Originally most 22 ammo was made to be fired from revolver. Revolvers have no ejection issues. Most rifles do not either because ejection is done by manually applied force.

I used to shoot a M&P compact 22. I only shot Mini Mags. I never gad a failure to eject in thousands of rounds.

I suggest you buy a box of Mini Mag round nose and see if they eject properly. If they do iy answers your question. If they do not it probably means sending the gun to Walther for a look.

Last edited by 1942bull; 01-08-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:31 PM   #18

ernhrts3n8 .22
The mini mags are not ejecting either...even when I am just cycling check magazine but the lead ones do eject and that doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #19
Supporting Member

1942bull .22
Quote:
The mini mags are not ejecting either...even when I am just cycling check magazine but the lead ones do eject and that doesn't make any sense to me at all.
That makes no sense to me either, but guns do not have sense so it might be the gun. The ejection disparity between the lead and copper rounds is obviously caused by something. Your experience is that the FTEs happen after firing a round and when racking the slide to eject. If it were only when firing, I would guess it was casing expansion but since it also occurs without firing that hypothesis fails.

That leads me to believe there are these possibilities.
1. The ejector malfunctions with certain ammo.
2. The casings on the ammo that fails have a tiny bit more diameter.
3. The chamber of your pistol is out of tolerance which could be residue or brass buildup, or it could be out of tolerance upon manufacture.

My recommendation is that you first call CCI and explain what you are experiencing to customer service and see it they have any idea about the cause. If they do not, then I think you have to call Walther to have the gun sent back for examination.

Finally, since the problem was not evident initially when you shot the gun it makes me think that either the chamber has some minuscule debris or the ejector is damaged.

Beyond what I have written I have no more thoughts about the cause. Good luck in getting the problem resolved.

Added: one more thought. It might be that the casing of the copper rounds expands when the bullet I’d pressed into place. Since the led is softer it would not likely do that. Just another possibility to question.
Also, when you clean the chamber remember that is is a greater diameter than the barrel. So a 22 wire brush is not going to clean it as well as possible. Clean the chamber from the chamber opening and be certain to put adjust pressure to assure good contact with the chamber walls.

Last edited by 1942bull; 01-09-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #20

Wildtoad .22
Have you tried the Mini Mags at the range or just hand cycling? As I recall two different forces are involved both dealing with “extracting” the casing.

When hand cycling to clear the unused bullet, the extractor on the slide must catch the lip of the rim. If the extractor fails to do that it could be the extractor is faulty, or the bullet is stuck.

When firing, the extractor plays no part as the act of firing ejects the spent casing from the barrel, and out the port (a bit more involved...). If the round doesn’t have enough energy to properly expel the round things don’t work well. you may get fail to eject, stove pipes (casing stuck in ejection port), fail to feed as the slide didn’t get shoved all the way back.

Hang in there.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22