picked one up, might resell - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #11

aeorsyn .22
when i bought my pps it was between both that and ccp i liked the look and feel of the ccp much more but thats all then the negatives i kept hearing piled on like tedius field stripping sketchy misfire safety, compared to everything positive about that classic pps from the ground up apparently winning concealed pistol of the year award in 2014 or 16 idr. i was looking at a creed too but for the same reasons i went with the antlers. i do like the look and feel of the pps much more now after having it a while, paddle power is so good

but i have a question, if my p22s slide broke, and this slide hasnt been in production in a decade, but its covered by lifetime warranty.. what happens?

obvious differences obvious similarities, love them both the only thing i really really like the same on both is the paddle. if only a 9x19round could fit in such a small handle, just thicker everything so itll only blow out of your hands, not blow up IN your hands

it actually is pretty remarkable when i pick one up after the other and really compare, feels like a close fam member
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191028_094225_1572270210441.jpg (228.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by aeorsyn; 10-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.
aeorsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #12

1917-1911M .38
I'm not sure Ft Smith has the P99 theme slide or not. Bet you could find someone who would swap the original slide for a new, thicker one though. In any event they will pay for 100% replacement/repair costs. Lifetime warranty. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #13

aeorsyn .22
thanks, im going to look into making this trigger your talking about.

i was under the impression that there is no guarenteed drop safety for ANY .22lr pistol or rifle. i never actually looked into that fact and assumed it was hot, do not drop.

Last edited by aeorsyn; 10-29-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 AM   #14

1917-1911M .38
With the P22 there are three blocks regarding the firing pin. First when the safety is set to safe, a cam on top of the drum engages a cutout on the bottom of the firing pin which stops movement. Additionally the drum physically blocks the hammer from being able to hit the firing pin and finally the inertia driven pin has a spring loaded drop safety that also blocks movement of the firing pin forward unless the trigger is pulled and the front arm of the sear drops. If a part were to break when the pistol is dropped....anything is possible.

One of my concerns regarding the CCP is that the drop safety is near the rear of the striker's travel....not near the chamber which is a common location. The sear and the drop safety are very close to one another. This means that the CCP can short stoke when firing or when a round is being chambered and the striker not be caught. This allows the striker spring to cause the striker to follow the slide forward while a round is chambered. The firing pin nose of the striker then rests against the primer. Apparently, the forward velocity of the slide slows down the speed of the striker where it will not ignite the primer. But it leaves a mark. I've seen a video of a drop test where the pistol fires in this condition. It appears legitimate to me. What the testers did was chamber a round with the striker not caught by the sear or striker block. So, the firing pin is resting against the primer. They then dropped the pistol on the rear of the grip and slide. It fired.

Why did it fire? I believe the striker compressed the striker spring and in this test the rebounding striker spring fires the striker into the primer with enough force to ignite it. Movement of the slide does not slow forward movement of the striker. If I had one of these pistols I would thoroughly test this to let everyone know the results. Other than that...too many have had stoppages of one sort or the other including flying apart. No thanks. 1917
Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 AM   #15

1917-1911M .38
I've got several threads on trigger jobs. But, warning...this is delicate work and if not done properly can result in the sear sliding off the hammer hook with the pistol firing if loaded and with the safety on. All steps of assessing if a trigger job is safe should be carried out before fully loading and firing.

There are no guides....so I had to figure this out myself and I also don't have any factory drawings. I had to do my own measurements and tests. I will say that Walther lowered the hooks on the QD hammer very similar to what I was doing. I believe the reason was that the tall hooks were not being released by the decocking lever acting on the drop safety. I have pictures of old engagement vs new and the only other thing I do is change the angle of the hooks to what I perceive as a more neutral engagement and undercut the sear faces. Lower hooks and an under cut sear face means the sear has to move a very short distance to release the hammer. No creep. The angle of engagement determines trigger pull. I drop mine to 2 1/4 lbs. It takes almost 1 lb simply to bend the trigger bar spring so that it will engage the sear.

Then you must test with an unloaded pistol you sear work...does it reliably catch, can you force the hammer off the sear with your thumb. How about when you bank it pretty hard at all angles into a folded towel? Does it reliably catch when you load one round and test fire? etc. There are two hammer hooks and two arms on the sear. All must be cut evenly and in no case can you create a negative engagement angle and have a safe pistol. 1917
Old 10-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #16

aeorsyn .22
thanks im saving all of this, will compile up yours/other threads. modifications like this ill definitely leave alone for now till i have more of a concrete understanding. it does sound like when not broken, drop safety and all around safety is IN effect for the p22 making it 1 22 i feel safer about lol. random question, i have no clue if you would know or not but i figure if anyone would maybe you and a military acedamia could answer. i heard a sort of a snapple fact a few years back, that a division of the indian military/army were issued p22s as a side arm. not sure why or where i got that from, curious to know if true. im not indian/asian, not that it matters.. just interesting. i would be pretty surprised if true, just because of caliber.. the only part of my mind that makes me think its rational is because well, its walther.. and all the good things we know about the p22.. but the bad things along with the cali and rimfire make me call bs..

i read this at 6am, got me awake enough for my commute haha, your knowledge is vast. thanks again, i know i have more questions.. they are coming

Last edited by aeorsyn; 10-30-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #17

aeorsyn .22
well i ended up just buying a p99 AS from budsgunshop, will pick it up sometime next week, excited
Old 11-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #18

1917-1911M .38
Somewhere there is a list of police and military arms by Country. What I remember is that the P22 is issued in Bangladesh to the military or police as a sidearm. That was probably about 10 years ago. 1917
Old 11-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #19

aeorsyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Somewhere there is a list of police and military arms by Country. What I remember is that the P22 is issued in Bangladesh to the military or police as a sidearm. That was probably about 10 years ago. 1917
yeah that bangladesh sounds better and it is referenced somewhere in correlations with the p22 being issued to bangladesh (SWADS) some kind of special unit, but no further info and its not listed as part of the current armory i found.

what i DID find however is that there is not enough time in the day to enjoy shooting especially when im taking like 5 things to shoot.. i need to slim it down some

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22