Which P22 Version Is The most reliable - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 11:25 PM   #1

bkellyusa .22
Which P22 Version Is The most reliable

I would have long since purchased the Walther P22 Target model but I have been leery about all P22's them for years due to their reliability issues. However recently I saw 22plinkster's review of the "New and Improved P22." First of I was surprised to hear it had been improved recently. I never heard that before and I'm both a Walther owner and a fan of their weapons.
22plinkster was also unaware of it and I can't find the new and improved model detailed in review that I can find. I have no clue what they improved to make this new and improved pistol more reliable.

Add to that there are so many versions of the P22 I don't know where any of them stand on reliablitly or current upgrades. Is the target pistol reliable or upgraded. What is a Q model and is it reliable. What is a QD model and is it current. I actually read tonight that it had been dicontinued. Has it been? I also can't find the P22 category of pistols on Walther's website. Why not?

Ultimately what I want to know is if I buy a current P22 Target model with the 5 inch barrel can I correctly assume that it has been upgraded and improved to the same degree that the standard P22 that 22plinkster reviewed is.

Please advise. As it is I was on my way to buying the Taurus TX22 when I saw the 22plinkster review. If the Walther P22 Target has been upgraded I'd prefer to buy the Walther but I need to know what is going on with this weapon.
bkellyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #2

jkv45 .22
If you like Walther, buy a PPQ .22.

I have a Taurus TX22 and a PPQ .22. They both are good, but i like the PPQ better. The TX is on its way back to Taurus next week. The barrel has chatter marks in the rifling and the rifling itself appears to be off-center. It actually shoots well, but it's just not right. I'm not the only one that has the barrel issue.

Overall, I think the quality of the PPQ is better.

I wouldn't buy a P22.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 PM   #3

bkellyusa .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If you like Walther, buy a PPQ .22.

I have a Taurus TX22 and a PPQ .22. They both are good, but i like the PPQ better. The TX is on its way back to Taurus next week. The barrel has chatter marks in the rifling and the rifling itself appears to be off-center. It actually shoots well, but it's just not right. I'm not the only one that has the barrel issue.

Overall, I think the quality of the PPQ is better.

I wouldn't buy a P22.
Why wouldn't you buy a P22? The reason I've held back on the PPQ 22 is it's size. I've never seen one in person but from what I can tell from looking at them in pictures and videos is that they are a true full-size pistol. I'd like to get one that is smaller. I went to purchase the Taurus TX22 but I was sort of put off by the size of it as well. Even the grip is bigger than I was expecting. Of course it holds 16 rounds and that is a serious advanage for me. It's sort of a small full-size pistol but it's not small. The only 22 semi-automatic I am familiar with is the S&W and that is sort of the size I am expecting.

Good luck with your TX22. When you get it back I'd love to hear how it went. I love the G2C and was expecting to love the TX22 but so far I am still looking. I could be happy with the TX22 easily but if I can find something more suitable I will buy it. If the P22 has truly been fixed I think I would prefer that.

I sold my S&W Shield 9mm to buy the Walther CCP M2 and I am super impressed with it and Walther in general.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:44 AM   #4

1917-1911M .38
The body of the P22 is exactly the same regardless of the length of barrel. The interchangeable barrel has been a feature of the pistol since day one. To change the pistol to the 5" target model you need a 5" barrel, a barrel sleeve for the 5" barrel and the stabilizer that clamps on the end. You move the front sight blade to the stabilizer and fill in the hole on the slide with a flat snap in sight. Or purchase the target version to begin with.

New and improved for the QD means the pistol now comes with a captive recoil spring and a decocking lever inside the breech block which lowers the cocked hammer when the lever is rotated to safe. Other than that 5" vs 3.4" is the same pistol. The barrels can be ordered from Walther. Either one. 1917

https://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/p22qd/

Click on Handguns just to the right of the Walther banner. Follow the link down to P22 and you will see them all, including the Target version. Some of the pistols that you might stumble across on their sight are the old P99 style version....they just don't keep some things up to date. Pictured is a black 5" model with the red dot showing as the safety is set to fire. That showed up with the QD model. There is some limitation on models if you live in CA as regulations there don't allow a new model or changes without additional stuff like microstamping. So, I guess there you can still purchase the old models.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 04-26-2019 at 07:38 AM.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #5

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkellyusa View Post
Why wouldn't you buy a P22? The reason I've held back on the PPQ 22 is it's size. I've never seen one in person but from what I can tell from looking at them in pictures and videos is that they are a true full-size pistol. I'd like to get one that is smaller. I went to purchase the Taurus TX22 but I was sort of put off by the size of it as well. Even the grip is bigger than I was expecting. Of course it holds 16 rounds and that is a serious advanage for me. It's sort of a small full-size pistol but it's not small. The only 22 semi-automatic I am familiar with is the S&W and that is sort of the size I am expecting.

Good luck with your TX22. When you get it back I'd love to hear how it went. I love the G2C and was expecting to love the TX22 but so far I am still looking. I could be happy with the TX22 easily but if I can find something more suitable I will buy it. If the P22 has truly been fixed I think I would prefer that.

I sold my S&W Shield 9mm to buy the Walther CCP M2 and I am super impressed with it and Walther in general.
The P22 just has too many strikes against it IMO.

Both the PPQ and the TX are full-size - something I liked. The S&W M&P22 Compact (not the standard version) is reduced size (about 75%). I was about to purchase one before I found the TX. The "Compact" is produced in the U.S. by Smith, unlike the standard (larger) version of the M&P22 which is produced by Walther. The Compact has been reported to have barrel issues that don't appear to be resolved - but search around for current info if you are considering one.

The newer P22s may be fine, but there are enough issues reported in the past to be cautious. The PPQ .22 just seems like a better pistol overall and only slightly more expensive, but it is the same size as the PPQ 9mm, though lighter due to the aluminum slide.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #6

Wildtoad .22
The P22 is not a big gun perfect for smaller hands, and my P22Q was flawless, and never had an issue that wasn’t traceable to crap ammo. The only thing I didn’t like about it (out of the box) was the guide rod / spring setup but this was easily corrected with an aftermarket captured spring/rod. The newer QD has a captured setup. I have sold my P22 to my shooting partner (my oldest son) as I prefer the heft of the PPK/S .22lr better.

Walther (2009) PPK .380, (2013) PPK/S .22, Ruger (2017) LCP .380, Henry (2017) Mares Leg .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:56 PM   #7

bkellyusa .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
The body of the P22 is exactly the same regardless of the length of barrel. The interchangeable barrel has been a feature of the pistol since day one. To change the pistol to the 5" target model you need a 5" barrel, a barrel sleeve for the 5" barrel and the stabilizer that clamps on the end. You move the front sight blade to the stabilizer and fill in the hole on the slide with a flat snap in sight. Or purchase the target version to begin with.

New and improved for the QD means the pistol now comes with a captive recoil spring and a decocking lever inside the breech block which lowers the cocked hammer when the lever is rotated to safe. Other than that 5" vs 3.4" is the same pistol. The barrels can be ordered from Walther. Either one. 1917

https://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/p22qd/

Click on Handguns just to the right of the Walther banner. Follow the link down to P22 and you will see them all, including the Target version. Some of the pistols that you might stumble across on their sight are the old P99 style version....they just don't keep some things up to date. Pictured is a black 5" model with the red dot showing as the safety is set to fire. That showed up with the QD model. There is some limitation on models if you live in CA as regulations there don't allow a new model or changes without additional stuff like microstamping. So, I guess there you can still purchase the old models.
Thanks for the help in navigating the Walther site.

Ultimately what I want to know is if the reliability issues have been solved and if it is across the board or just the QD modles or what.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:13 AM   #8

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The Compact has been reported to have barrel issues that don't appear to be resolved -
If you see one in a store, ask to lock the slide open, insert a small piece of white paper into the open breech, then stick the camera on you phone over the muzzle and have a look. Every one I've looked at including recently...still has the same issues regarding the three barrels I had. Perhaps Walther should make their barrels for these. Every other Smith I have....AR, revolver, semi auto...all have excellent barrels. 1917
Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 AM   #9

1917-1911M .38
bkelly, my two cents is that the new P22s run pretty smoothly. The mags are good and have been for years now. The barrels are excellent. Small refinements have been added to the pistol such as a small pin cast into the frame to hold the slide catch arm spring in place. Other parts of the pistol are as they were on day one. The difficult to install long recoil spring has been replaced with a captive assembly....still the same spring...just held captive for easy reassembly. In 2010 or 11 the Q style slide was introduced which has been beefed up at certain stress points. The two weak areas had been where the muzzle cup intersected with the main body of the slide and where a hardened pin is inserted into the slide to protect it from the steel slide hold open arm. I don't read much of any slide breakage on the new models.

All of that doesn't mean much if the pistol experiences stoppages. Nearly all short barrel semi auto .22 pistols are a bit ammo picky. The 3.4" model will only run reliably on high velocity ammo and then only on CCI and Remington Golden Bullets. There are other brands that might work....but there are other brands that do not work....Federal and Winchester bulk ammo for example. Some are simply not powerful enough to cycle the slide. The 5" barrel is less picky due to more blowback energy. Some owners have reported problems with the extractor not reaching in enough to remove an unfired round or a stuck spent case. Mine works fine but all P22s over the years have benefited by the shooter pressing down on the nose end of the extractor when trying to pull a stubborn case out. Usually the culprit is a dirty chamber. And a couple of out of spec chambers have showed up.....that was unheard of even back in the day of all the other issues. A light honing at Ft Smith corrects the problem.

I still change the shape of the trigger bar ears and very lightly remove the edge in the center of the hammer face. I do have an absolutely stock hammer ( hooks excepted) on the 5" pistol and it causes no problems. I still use nothing heavier than Remington Remoil and blow most of that off, followed by a rubbing of dry moly powder on critical wear areas such as the rails and grooves on the frame and slide.

My QD ran 100% out of the box with exception of the trigger bar modification and hammer face mod. It is a 3.4" barrel. The real trick to reliability with the P22 is a firm grip and ammo that is powerful enough to cycle the slide. The P22 absolutely has a checkered past. A lot of it was ammo/grip related. Some of it was due to poor design/material...the slides, some of it due to poor components such as mainsprings. But I don't read of those issues much anymore. Most problems are still ammo related. All P22s have a lifetime warranty. They are on sale on-line at present somewhere for about $239. The target version has always cost more. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. Your only other choices for very similar pistols are the Ruger SR22 or the Smith M&P compact .22. The PPQ and Smith .22 are both full size pistols. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 04-27-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:27 AM   #10

bkellyusa .22
The P22 absolutely has a checkered past. A lot of it was ammo/grip related. Some of it was due to poor design/material...the slides, some of it due to poor components such as mainsprings. But I don't read of those issues much anymore. Most problems are still ammo related. All P22s have a lifetime warranty. They are on sale on-line at present somewhere for about $239. The target version has always cost more. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one. Your only other choices for very similar pistols are the Ruger SR22 or the Smith M&P compact .22. The PPQ and Smith .22 are both full size pistols. 1917[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed and lengthy response. I am a little confused about the barrel issue between the two responses you made. In the first it sounds like the barrel is still troubled but not so much in the second response. Please explain where I am going wrong.

I want to buy a 22 semi-automatic or the Ruger Mark IV but the more I check into these pistols the more it looks likely that I will buy the new Taurus TX22. Everybody seems very mpressed with the Taurus and it runs reliably with trash ammo in it. As it is I've want to get one in the next few weeks before my oldest daughter's family gets here for a few weeks of vacation. When my son-in-law and grandson are here we pretty much wear the pistols out. We've got a range on our property so it's easy and and fun to target shoot here with the whole family.

I look forward to your response. Depending on what you have to say I will probably decide wether or not to give the P22 a try. I tend to buy guns I like and just keep them so I am kind of touchy about selecting a particular and purchsing it.

Thanks again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22