Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM   #21

hayley3 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by silky View Post
Hayley3,

Out of curiosity are you new to firearms in general or just the P22? If you're new to firearms I'd really recommend taking some basics classes at a local range. I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but it seems like from your posts that it may be good for you to get some expert in-person instruction with your new gun.
There's not a gun range near me, or I would go.
But I haven't used a gun in a long time except occasionally I shoot a chicken thief with my Marlin rifle.

Last edited by hayley3; 04-05-2019 at 07:06 AM.
hayley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #22

hayley3 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I'm not following you....you bought a new gun in a local gunshop? You should have to pay for the firearm and taxes. What was the $40 for. If they charged that for the paperwork...I'd never darken their door again.

I pay $20 to a local gun shop for the paperwork but that is only because I am not purchasing the firearm from them....but I am using their FFL and time for my benefit so I don't mind. If I buy a firearm from them I'm not paying them anything for the paperwork. Find a local pawn/gun shop or gun shop that charges $20 or so and order your firearms on sale and have them sent to that FFL holder. Most of the on-line gun sellers actually have a list of people in you area that have a FFL license. You need to call or drop by to ask what they charge for the service. The big stores usually don't want to fool with it. I think the shop I deal with makes more money on doing the paperwork because I never see a firearm in there I would consider purchasing...even if on sale.

That mag release is the best....much better than a button. I use my trigger finger...once you get used to it you will think it is great. Press up on the mag a bit if you want it to work really easily. Pressing it up takes the pressure off of the release. 1917
Yes they charged me $40 to hand me the gun I ordered online from Budsgunshop.com. I assumed they would only charge me $20 so didn't think to ask around...they are the same store that wanted $100 more for that gun.

The mag release is a little better now..It was really hard to press down at first.
hayley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #23

1917-1911M .38
I see. Yes, the large gun shops around here want $100 to $150 which is them basically saying they don't want to complete the transaction and keep up with the paperwork for you unless you purchase from them. In that case you are lucky to have gotten out $40. There are people that will do it for much less...like $20, but I live near a large city. Purchasing across the State line is another no go. The firearm has to be sent to a local FFL. They sure can make it complicated. Some of the on-line shops have a list of local FFLs for you and they might even have what they charge.

If there are no gun ranges ask around...someone probably has a place you can shoot. Always leave a place spotless when you leave. No empty boxes or trash. Ask the local police...they train some where and the ranges are open to the public sometimes. With a suppressor you can shoot about anywhere due to almost no noise but not if it is illegal. In my area you have to be 200' off of a public road and of course you have to have a good backstop. But, legal or not...I wouldn't want to aggravate neighbors with a lot of shooting in an otherwise quite residential area. 1917
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #24

Out West Unproven
I've owned all generations of the P22. I prefer the first and second gens over the QD. I don't get excited about the decocker.
Out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #25

Balogh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
P22 QD which is almost identical to any late model Q version. The only difference is a captive recoil spring assembly, red dot when safety lever set to fire, a safety drum activated decocking lever and lower primary hooks on the hammer.
The red dot is not a unique characteristic of the P22QD. The late P22Q models manufactured in 2017 (BH) and later already feature the red dot. I had such a late red dotted model in my hand and it was not until I manipulated it that I realized that it was not yet a current QD model.
Balogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #26

guymalloc .22
Got my P22QD from GunBuyer for $225 plus shipping, $25 transfer at my LGS. Fixed the hammer drag problem per the "bible", and replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen exact edge one, which I reshaped to fit the chamber cut better, catches case more firmly, better ejection from it. 4 mags with Tandemkross kits, hold 12 rounds.
guymalloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #27

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out West View Post
I've owned all generations of the P22. I prefer the first and second gens over the QD. I don't get excited about the decocker.
Bet it is easy to remove and you still have the advantage of the factory lowered primary hammer hook. My left side red dot fell out somewhere along the line. 1917
Old 05-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #28

jkv45 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymalloc View Post
Got my P22QD from GunBuyer for $225 plus shipping, $25 transfer at my LGS. Fixed the hammer drag problem per the "bible", and replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen exact edge one, which I reshaped to fit the chamber cut better, catches case more firmly, better ejection from it. 4 mags with Tandemkross kits, hold 12 rounds.
Did you look at the PPQ .22?

For what you spent on the P22, with shipping and the Volquartsen parts, you could have had the PPQ - and just shot it without needing to fix it first.

I paid $305 including shipping for my PPQ .22, and it doesn't need modifications of aftermarket parts.

Not sure why Walther is even producing the P22 anymore, or why people are buying them, when the PPQ .22 is just a little more and doesn't need fiddling with.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #29

1917-1911M .38
Smaller grip. Unfortunately the PPQ, P99 are all just a tiny bit too large for my hands and many others. One reason the CCP and P22 get rave reviews on how they fit some people hands. I expect the P22 is also still the top selling Walther brand pistol. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 05-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #30

1917-1911M .38

I'm after it again....one piece P22 slide updating to PPQ ergonomics. This one aluminum with steel frame insert. I don't see why a precise MIM frame can't be made of steel just as easily as diecasting zinc. If Walther can put aluminum slides on the PPQ .22 and Smith and sell them in the same neighborhood as the P22....then why not an aluminum slide on the P22. And get rid of the diecast frame halves too. That should solve a few problems. The 5" is very accurate. The clamp on stabilizer is problematic. If I could photoshop I'd have this together. Mudbug is helping to cut and paste ... Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this.

Walther did a good job in designing the muzzle end of the PPQ 5" slide to minimize the length and lighten the look...much better than my 2005 mockup of the above...so, I'm lifting it for this redesign. I also don't like the front rail on the PPQ so I modified that a bit. I also don't like the looks of the trigger with the big rear wing and gap above the wing....so I took it off and put in what I think is a proper looking trigger. Thickened up the top of the new aluminum slide so dovetails could be added so that a variety of sights can be added including a small red dot. The pistol will cycle it....I've tried it in the past....there is just no good way to attach one to the the existing, very thin top of the zinc slide. I bought my last P22 QD model for $225 new. So, adding a few bucks to the cost of the pistol to correct a few things and have an entirely new generation of P22 seems like a good idea to me. I believe the head guy at Walther was at the SHOT show a couple of years ago and stated that the P22 outsells all other Walther products combined. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 05-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=116698
p22q
p22q walther
walter p22q
walther 5120500 vs 5120700
walther p22 5120700

walther p22 qd discontinued

walther p22q

walther p22q vs p22 qd
walther p22q vs p22qd
walther ppq 22 lr
Click on a term to search for related topics.