WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gaffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

gaffer .22
Removing Barrel Nut From CA P22

I know there are many threads on the web about how to remove barrel nuts from CA model P22's, but I thought I would share my barrel nut experience.

Even though I live in Indiana (free state) the store I purchased my P22 from only had the CA model in the Angel Blue color. I knew that the only real difference was that the barrel nut was glued on, and did not have the wrench slots so it couldn't be removed (in their dreams!!).

My wife really wanted this pistol so, I purchased it.

I must admit this is really a nice looking gun.

I have read that you may need to apply heat, or dip the end of the barrel in some sort of release agent.

I thought I would try just unscrewing it first and see what happens. I wrapped a piece of leather around the nut and clamped down with a pair of vise grips and starting applying a bit of pressure. At the point where I felt that I was putting as much pressure as I was comfortable with the nut started turning. Victory! I might have just been lucky and the factory only applied a small of "glue".

I then removed the nut from the barrel and cleaned out the barrel threads and the nut thread using a small brass cleaning brush. There was some sort of dried of glue that the brush removed.

I then put the nut in my vise and filed two flats on the nut so a 7/16" would slide on. I just used a standard flat file and took my time, filing a bit at a time on opposite sides of the nut until the wrench just did slide on.

Since I will be attaching a suppressor to this gun I ordered the Barrel adaptor from Walther (it is only $20 right now).

I am pleased how this turned out and removing and reinstalling the nut now is easy.

If for some reason I ever need to return this gun to Walther for service I will make sure their threaded barrel adapter is on the barrel.

I hope this helps a bit for anyone thinking of doing this little project.

Ron
skeeter149 and Redcat94 like this.

Last edited by gaffer; 01-29-2019 at 06:31 PM.
gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #2

skeeter149 .22
gives me hope for if I leave California!
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

1917-1911M .38
That barrel nut is the only difference....regular P22 vs CA model. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #4

CavGuy .22
I just got the P22 CA. I took a butane culinary torch, turned the flame down and held the inner part of the flame on the top of the barrel nut for 40 seconds. I took a locking plier with minimal pressure, turned counter clockwise, and it broke lose without a problem. I cleaned out the glue residue, and it's good to go. I have a suppressor adapter and there is a target barrel upgrade on the way.
CavGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #5

ZeeP22Q .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
My wife really wanted this pistol so, I purchased it.

I must admit this is really a nice looking gun.

Ron

What's the two letter date code on the barrel on the ejection port side? BK?

I noticed the slide has an "F" stamped into the slide by the safety lever, and no red dot. Seems the latest models I've seen (with BK date codes, non-CA models) don't have any "F" or "S" stamped on the slide, but just a big red dot that shows when the safety lever is up (in the fire position).

And of course, the California models have the "CA" engraved after P22 on the left side of the slide.

Last edited by ZeeP22Q; 01-25-2020 at 05:12 PM.
ZeeP22Q is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

1917-1911M .38
The only thing I would caution here is to not file the flats too large so that it might be possible for the front of the slide to catch on the edge of the filed area. I think that is why the factory nuts are designed as they are with regard to the narrow cutout for the wrench lands.. 1917
Old 02-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

gaffer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeP22Q View Post
What's the two letter date code on the barrel on the ejection port side? BK?

I noticed the slide has an "F" stamped into the slide by the safety lever, and no red dot. Seems the latest models I've seen (with BK date codes, non-CA models) don't have any "F" or "S" stamped on the slide, but just a big red dot that shows when the safety lever is up (in the fire position).

And of course, the California models have the "CA" engraved after P22 on the left side of the slide.
Mine is BJ, so 18. The photos on the Walther site of the p22 shows the S and F like mine (cal and non-cal). But they might not have updated the photos yet.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #8

gaffer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
The only thing I would caution here is to not file the flats too large so that it might be possible for the front of the slide to catch on the edge of the filed area. I think that is why the factory nuts are designed as they are with regard to the narrow cutout for the wrench lands.. 1917
Good point! I never have used the "filed" nut since I use the barrel adapter. I did have to file a spare wrench which I had to file pretty thin to fit the new nut. I could have just filed two small slots in the original nut and then filed down my wrench, but didn't think of that at the time. (that thin Walther wrench does not come with the CA model.

BTW.. gun shoots good and is a lot of fun. I did have a problem with the firing pin spring (lost its spring), but Walther sent me one right out at no charge.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #9

1917-1911M .38
Next time try a bicycle shop. They have a wide variety of very thin wrenches. 1917

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
how to remove barrel nut on walther p22 ca version

how to remove barrel on walther p22 ca

p22 ca walther

remove barrel extension walther p22 california model

remove walther p22 remove barrel cover
walther gunsmith p22
walther p22 barrel
walther p22 barrel nut

walther p22 ca

walther p22 ca model
walther p22 how to remove the barrel nut
Click on a term to search for related topics.