P22 15rd magazine conversion - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #1

Justinswidebody .22
If anyone is interested I can host the 3d print files to convert your magazine to a 15rd magazine. The only thing needed would be a different type magazine spring like those found in the Nick Taylor upgrades. I designed a new base that I think looks pretty good. Let me know if any of you are interested.

Here's a link to my files

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2822777

Last edited by Justinswidebody; 03-11-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Justinswidebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

David1959 .22
Thumbs up

Very Cool!
David1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

1917-1911M .38
Someone sent me a 15 or 16 round mag years and years ago. It worked....barely. I put up pictures of it. You can add one round by simply lowering the bottom of the follower button hole. After that you can cut things down...usually losing the slide hold open feature in the process. The person that sent me the mag had extended the stagger slots almost all the way down the sides of the mag so all of the rounds could stagger. I didn't see much future in it with all the other problems the pistol was having. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2019, 12:52 AM   #4

Justinswidebody .22
With the base I created, it allows for there to be a extra round in it. Also this one will still leave the slide open on the last round.... This conversion works without any issues.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

1917-1911M .38
Justin, I will admit that I don't fully understand your files. I see the plate that retails the bottom of the magazine spring....that one looks familiar. I don't understand the follower or the base. On the factory mags the pull down button engages the slide hold open arm when the magazine is empty. It doesn't appear that your follower retains this feature but has been shortened so more rounds will fit. With no follower button how is the follower engaging the slide hold open arm?

I'm not following you on the base either. Is this an extended base that replaces the existing one, makes the mag longer and in the process allows the bottom plate and spring to sit lower and be compressed lower. It seems to me the stock mag spring could handle an extra inch or so. I believe they are 4"- 4 1/4" long.

In the past a number of people have modified the stock follower by cutting the bottom off. This shortening does allow extra rounds but of course you lose the stop arm engagement button. Do you have something extra added to the follower to engage the stop arm while still allowing it to be much shorter than the stock follower? 1917
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #6

Justinswidebody .22
Very good questions 🙂

If you look at the picture above, the follower has been extended to where after the last round has been fired it goes up far enough for the slide to catch on it. The area I'm talking about is in the picture above where the red line is.

Now because the follower is so short, the factory spring will cause it to bind because their is not enough surface area to guide it up the magazine correctly with having the single pressure point of the factory spring. The Nick Taylor spring creates a equal pressure under the follower because the spring pushes on the entire bottom of the follower.

Now for the base...... It's a little tricky. More so trickier if you ever want to take the magazine apart to service it.

If you look closely at the picture you can see where the magazine slides into the base. After you slide the magazine into the base, the retainer will drop down into the channel I made for it to drop into. This now extends the magazine to allow an extra round. But in order to take it apart you have to push the retainer up equal with the bottom of the magazine to remove the base... It's very possible but a little tricky to do.

Hope that helps answer the questions. Let me know if I need to elaborate more

Thanks

Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Justin, I will admit that I don't fully understand your files. I see the plate that retails the bottom of the magazine spring....that one looks familiar. I don't understand the follower or the base. On the factory mags the pull down button engages the slide hold open arm when the magazine is empty. It doesn't appear that your follower retains this feature but has been shortened so more rounds will fit. With no follower button how is the follower engaging the slide hold open arm?

I'm not following you on the base either. Is this an extended base that replaces the existing one, makes the mag longer and in the process allows the bottom plate and spring to sit lower and be compressed lower. It seems to me the stock mag spring could handle an extra inch or so. I believe they are 4"- 4 1/4" long.

In the past a number of people have modified the stock follower by cutting the bottom off. This shortening does allow extra rounds but of course you lose the stop arm engagement button. Do you have something extra added to the follower to engage the stop arm while still allowing it to be much shorter than the stock follower? 1917

Last edited by Justinswidebody; 06-05-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #7

1917-1911M .38
Can a printed box mag body hold up with the stock components installed? Some of this polymer stuff is tough. If so it seems it would be pretty easy to print longer mag bodies or some with a full length stagger slot. I've stacked up 16 rounds before, staggering the rims but have forgotten how tall the stack was. Seems it barely fits inside the stock mag length if the follower is shortened. Allowing the rims to stagger all the way down allows two or three more rounds to be added as I recall. Anyone working on that angle. 1917
Old 06-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #8

1917-1911M .38
On a stock magazine the top round has to slide front and center to be caught properly under the feed lips. The next five rounds (length of the stagger slot) allows the rims to actually protrude slightly out the side of the mag box. Five rounds take about 1" in this stagger design. So, cutting the walls of the mag to let the stack stagger further down only allows one more round, perhaps two before you have to start cutting the top of the follower off. Of course if you are making a new box with even a longer slot....I don't see any reason the follower could not be redesigned. 15 or 16 rounds would be the absolute max for the stock mag length....follower cut down very short. Retaining the button is problematic because it engages the slide hold open arm at a specific spot. And, if the follower is stopped.....it can no longer keep the remaining rounds pressed tightly against the top of the mag. So, even if you add 6 rounds....they won't feed. You must remove the button so the follower can follow....all the way up for the last round.

Probably the stop arm could be modified to delay being lifted by one round.....max. Ribs inside the mag well guide the mag as it slides up but they miss the staggered rims....so without widening the body of the mag....which would require modification of the mag well, which gets to be too much aftermarket effort, the rounds are staggering as much as possible at the stagger slots. Measuring the inside diameter of the mag will allow the determination of how many rounds can be fit into a certain length.

Which is all why I just bought extra mags...... 1917

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page

15 round magazine walter p22

Click on a term to search for related topics.