First USPSA match - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BartCarter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

RobertS .22
First USPSA match

and I DQd at the very end of it. I was the last man to shoot in the last stage for my squad and I DQd almost immediately.

I broke the 180 on a stage that was set up to test your muzzle awareness and I failed.

Sucks but I hear the president of the USPSA DQd in the production nationals and took it like a man.

I was using my PPQ long slide, fwiw. It shot nice, so I'll have to look at another, but taking it slower and actually thinking my actions through, even if it means my time will suck, just so I can get it being natural to keep muzzle down range while moving.

It's a lot different than lane shoots at an indoor.

Last edited by RobertS; 08-15-2016 at 07:39 PM.
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-15-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

olstyn .22
Hey, at least it didn't happen on your first stage, right? Learn from it, but don't beat yourself up about it; just don't do it again.

As you get more used to competition, you'll find you're less nervous and more able to be aware of exactly what you're doing at all times. Stinks that you ran into a stage that was a 180 rule trap your first time out, but it's not a tragedy. Here's hoping you enjoyed competing and will keep doing it. It's just about guaranteed to make you a better shooter.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

RobertS .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
Hey, at least it didn't happen on your first stage, right? Learn from it, but don't beat yourself up about it; just don't do it again.
Yeah, I'm looking over what I did. The 180 isn't the only issue I had, but it was the one that DQd me.

One other thing I learned: because I don't have extended base plates, I need to load 14, not 15. Fifteen is too much back pressure and I had magazines falling out because I didn't get them seated properly. I think 15 on the start up mag and 14 in following mags will be just right.

I negligently chose limited, not knowing what is involved, but I think I'll do production from here on.
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

BartCarter .22
I just started shooting matches. IDPA and USPSA. Great fun! I am starting out by working on accuracy and building up in speed.

Last week one stage had poppers 38 yards away. You are not shooting fast at those!
Ky_Bourbon likes this.
BartCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

7Left .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS View Post

...I need to load 14, not 15. Fifteen is too much back pressure and I had magazines falling out because I didn't get them seated properly. I think 15 on the start up mag and 14 in following mags will be just right.

...but I think I'll do production from here on.

I had this happen on my first USPSA match. At my first reload, the mag dropped after I fired the first round. I had to really slam home the mags on the next stages.

If you don't care about score, go with Limited. But 15 round mags is a huge disadvantage. If you want to see your progression on a level playing field, Production is the way to go.

I started in Limited with 17 round mags. After I got classified, I moved to Production (different pistols). My score is more competitive in Production since I'm not outgunned.
7Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #6

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Left View Post
If you don't care about score, go with Limited. But 15 round mags is a huge disadvantage. If you want to see your progression on a level playing field, Production is the way to go.
Nobody's super competitive right away. Limited can be a nice place to start because you don't have to be reloading all the time. Once a new shooter is comfortable with what they're doing, Production makes sense for the reasons you stated. OTOH, Production gets you lots of good practice reloading, so...
Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #7

7Left .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
Nobody's super competitive right away. Limited can be a nice place to start because you don't have to be reloading all the time.
That's a better way to say it. Whenever I talk to my friends new to matches, I advise them to start in Limited until they get the hang of it.
7Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:10 AM   #8

olstyn .22
...and of course, if someone decides that they'd like to be competitive in Limited, this is always an option, albeit a somewhat expensive one: Springer Precision Walther PPQ 9/40 EZ 140mm extended capacity base pads
Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #9

crzteacher .22
I shot USPSA matches last year just for fun and learned a lot from the other people there. The ROs were great and very instructive when I told them it was my first or second match. Hope your squad and ROs were, too. Sounds like you have the right attitude. Enjoy it! And thanks to all those great ROs and staff who work hard on the courses and matches.
crzteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
BJK

BJK .22
Robert, at the area 7 division match last year I DQ'ed 8 rounds into the match. Same type of stage that was designed to catch the unwary and it caught me. After putting my gear away I stayed to help score. I felt like crap, the person who brought it to my attention felt like crap, but I did it to myself. All DQs are self induced.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page

i get nervous at uspsa matches

Click on a term to search for related topics.