PPQ Q5 - Which IDPA Division? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #1

Vycor .22
PPQ Q5 - Which IDPA Division?

Sooo question. What division would the PPQ Q5 fall under for IDPA? Do they consider the Q5 to have a ported barrel now?
Vycor is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

RobertS .22
Only the slide is ported. That's not barrel porting.

If you put an optic on it, you'll probably be required to shoot open. If you leave the iron sights on it, read as no optic, you can shoot limited or what ever they may call it (I'm USPSA).
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

BartCarter .22
SSP Stock Service Pistol
agksimon and Ky_Bourbon like this.
BartCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

howard .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS View Post
Only the slide is ported. That's not barrel porting. ...
NO! For IDPA it is fine for either SSP or ESP without the optic but would not be allowed at all with an optic - there is no open or optic division in IDPA.

For USPSA you can use it in any division except single stack with regular sights. With optics you can shoot it in Open division and perhaps in the new Production Optics division if it meets weight and size requirements dependent on what optic you put on it.

Last edited by searcher451; 08-12-2016 at 10:39 AM. Reason: bandwidth
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #5

agksimon .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
NO! For IDPA it is fine for either SSP or ESP without the optic but would not be allowed at all with an optic - there is no open or optic division in IDPA.
I have shot in many IDPA sanctioned matches where optics are allowed and being used. They just didn't record your time toward season standings.
Also, there are a lot of "Defensive Pistol" leagues (non sanctioned, IDPA type matches) being formed and it's run what you brung. They are the most fun, usually only 5 stages.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

howard .22
Well that is a club match that is not following IDPA rules, the OP asked what is allowed in IDPA. I answered the question as an IDPA SO and USPSA RO.
jschultz likes this.

Last edited by searcher451; 08-11-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: bandwidth
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

BartCarter .22
Quote:
Well that is a club match that is not following IDPA rules, the OP asked what is allowed in IDPA. I answered the question as an IDPA SO and USPSA RO.
This is correct. However in local matches you may use optics, but you shoot "unclassified." There is no division and no IDPA points. You are still scored, however. My wife will be shooting her Q5 with a Vortex Viper that way.

You can shoot USPSA local matches in the "carry optics" division. I don't know their decision about the carry optics at other matches.

This is for Las Vegas IDPA and USPSA. I can't confirm if this is true for other local matches.
agksimon likes this.
BartCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

RobertS .22
Quote:
For USPSA you can use it in any division except single stack with regular sights. With optics you can shoot it in Open division and perhaps in the new Production Optics division if it meets weight and size requirements dependent on what optic you put on it.
Yeah, the gun is not the issue except in Single Stack. It's whether or not it has optics on it. Production doesn't allow optics. Post and notch only. Open is the only place for handgun optics.

Also, slide porting is fine, if it's original equipment, but absolutely no barrel porting.

CAVEAT, this is for USPSA, not IDPA. There isn't enough value in IDPA for me, even though I'll be limited to minor scoring because my PPQ is 9mm. I want to go multi-gun and USPSA is the only multi-gun organization here in Wisconsin.

Last edited by RobertS; 08-12-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS View Post
Open is the only place for handgun optics.
That is no longer true. Carry Optics is recognized at most matches now. I just shot the MN Section match, and while there were only 2 people shooting Carry Optics, it was definitely a recognized division. Also, Carry Optics has its own Nationals event this year, so I think it's probably here to stay.
BartCarter, howard and lana_sands like this.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #10

RobertS .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
That is no longer true. Carry Optics is recognized at most matches now. I just shot the MN Section match, and while there were only 2 people shooting Carry Optics, it was definitely a recognized division. Also, Carry Optics has its own Nationals event this year, so I think it's probably here to stay.
Are you talking about USPSA or some other organization? I have the rulebook here in my hands plus I could copy and paste from it to the thread. Unless they made a change to it since they printed the last rulebook and now, in USPSA, optics are only allowed in Open.

As I said in my previous post, I'm joined to USPSA because that is the only organization here in Wisconsin that does multi-gun. I won't look at anything that does not have multi-gun competitions.

3-Gun Nation is not here in Wisconsin.

In fact, I don't even see a "Carry Optics" division listed in the IDPA rules. I do see something in the rules where clubs are allowed to post "not for competition" matches.

Last edited by RobertS; 08-12-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page
can i have optics in ssp idpa
idpa 2 gun divisions
is walther ppq q5 agood idpa gun
is walther q5 sgeel idpa legal

news

q5 match ssp or esp

walther ppq q5 match in idpa
walther ppq q5 match ported barrel for sale

walther q5 idpa

walther q5 match idpa
walther q5 match legal for idpa
walther q5 match sf idpa
Click on a term to search for related topics.