Shooting PPQ for USPSA Production - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

7Left .22
Shooting PPQ for USPSA Production

I started shooting USPSA a little over a year ago, participating in about 8-10 matches. I started with a CZ 75B 9mm in Limited-minor and ended up getting classified a low D. I was consistently scoring mid 40% to low 50%, finishing in the middle of the pack (ex. 12th out of 24 shooters). I had lots of misses and procedurals because I was gunning too fast.

This year, I transitioned to my 4" PPQ for Production Division. I only have 2 matches with it. The first match I scored 60%, but the score got thrown out because of an error with the classifier. This last match, I scored 71%, finishing 3rd out of 17 Production shooters.

I think the stages played a small part. People were having trouble with steel poppers and a Texas Star. Needless to say, I'm super excited to see progress. By no means am I a great shooter. I still throw shots and my times are a little slow. I was just consistent with this last one. Only 2 misses and no procedurals.

My PPQ only has Talon Grip tape, Dawson FO front and Turul's custom rear blacked out sight. I am very satisfied with the stock trigger. Still have to be mindful of the muzzle flip. If I don't pay attention, that muzzle can get out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BartCarter likes this.

Last edited by 7Left; 06-30-2016 at 02:30 PM.
7Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #2

brianr34 .22
I agree that the PPQ 4" is very nice for competition. I am using mine in IDPA this year also with the same sights you have. I agree the stock trigger is great, however I did go with a lighter FPB spring this week. It reduced the intial take up force and reduced overall trigger pull by 1/2lb. Going to try the 3.5lb TRS next.

My only negative about the gun is muzzle flip. With good high and tight grip it is OK, but as you mention it can get a little out of control.

I have had a habit of switching between guns a lot but I plan on sticking with PPQ the entire season. I am already shooting it better than my tuned Glocks.
brianr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

Bodago .22
I started shooting USPSA production last year with my PPQ 4 inch and now a C class shooter. The muzzel flip is definitaly more noticable than other guns while the trigger beats all. I switched to 5 inch version earlier this year and adjusted the trigger pull to less than 3 lbs by changing the FPB and sear springs. It's simply pleasant to shoot and easy to get faster as I shoot more matches. I see many people shooting Glocks, MP and CZs in the production division at my local club, but only 1 person besides myself shoots PPQ. Hope that situation stays so I can keep my advantage.

Yes, stick with PPQ and you will definitely be a champion!
Darkstar888 likes this.
Bodago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #4

BartCarter .22
I just started USPSA. I am using it to get better with my Q4, now that they have a carry optics division. Don't care about scores or placement in a match. Just getting in the practice.

The last match had steel poppers at about 38 yards. Some people ran out of ammo before they could finish! Thank goodness for my red dot, I wasn't one of them!
BartCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

7Left .22
I shot a match a few weeks ago and noticed I'm definitely rusty from taking the summer off. There were times I noticed that I didn't have good control with the 4-inch PPQ and my inconsistent shot placement showed it. I'm really considering swapping out my 4-inch and getting the 5-inch. I'm accurate with it in static slow fire. But running and gunning is a different game.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #6

brianr34 .22
I currently shoot a PPQ 4" in IDPA. I am thinking of picking up a 5". For those that have shot a 4" and 5", is there a difference in the muzzle flip? The 4" trigger and accuracy is great but has more muzzle flip than Glocks.

I am thinking about trying USPSA next year. Compared to IDPA it seems like a more free for all and run and gun compared to IDPA.
brianr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

Darkstar888 .22
There has to be at least a slight difference with the added weight in front. Physics can't ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2016, 07:16 AM   #8
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I have both....the recoil/muzzle flip,is so minimal and over with so quickly, for me, its just a non-issue.
BartCarter likes this.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

7Left .22
Finally got a 5" PPQ to along with the 4. The different version mags are frustrating, but I got over it. On the 4, I could use the medium backstrap. I have to used the large on the M2 5-inch because of the little ledge below the mag release. If i don't, the ledge will dig into my strong had middle finger.

I took the Dawson FO front (.180t) and turul's custom rear sight off the 4 and put it on the 5. At 15-yds or less, it seems POI = POA. Further out to 20 yds, it seems to shoot about 1-2 inches high if I cover the target. I have to consiously aim slightly low, maybe a true 6 o'clock hold. I may try a different height front sight (.195t), or just practice and learn to compensate.

I haven't shot a USPSA match with it yet, but yesterday I shot at a steel match. 5 stages, 5 strings each, with 5 plates each. Took me 165 rounds. The difference between the 4 and 5-inch was noticeable at longer distances. Both are equally as accurate (as expected), and both get back on target just as easily, but the 5-inch was just easier to aim at 20-25yds when transitioning between targets.

Now, I'm not a great shooter at all, more like average. I was consistently scoring mid-pack (10 out of 20 ) and that's where I usually place in USPSA Production division. My average time for a 5-target string was about 6 seconds. I've missed the big rectangular plate at 10 yards straight from the draw, and was constantly shooting high at the small 20-yd plates. I received constructive feedback from other shooters that I tend to jerk the trigger.

I like the 4-inch PPQ for the paddle release and I could continue to shoot it in matches. For now though, I'm going to stick with the 5-inch.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #10

ioon44 .22
I shoot my 5" PPQ in Limited USPSA as a Super Senior, I like being to run full mags.

I use Trijicon Orange HD sights and in a 80 shooter match I can usually stay in the top 20.

Shooting IDPA my PPQ 45 with a Apex trigger really does great in ESP class.
ioon44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page

walther ppq uspsa

Click on a term to search for related topics.