My PPQ Competition Aftermarket - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2015, 12:29 AM   #1

Lef-T .22
My PPQ Competition Aftermarket

I just added Springer Precision Base Pads to the mix and I think that besides some serious gunsmithing and cosmetic cerakote I'm max-ed out for USPSA production.

Below is my list, Im curious to know what paths others have taken.

My list of aftermarket parts is short and sweet:

Dawson Charger Rear Sight (.210 Tall x .145 Notch) $40:

Dawson Fiber Optic Front (.180 Tall x .100 Width) $40:

BT Guide Rod $64:

Springer Precision .375in Base Pads (you can also see the Dawson sights) $16/ea:

All-in, $240 in aftermarket and no regrets.

Last edited by Lef-T; 10-18-2015 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added costs
Lef-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

Sundevil827 .22
Gear looks good.

Glad Walther is seeing some aftermarket support.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

DavidS .22
Sights

Hey Lef-T,

A few questions if you don't mind:

1. Any particular reason you prefer the plain black rear sight as opposed to the one with the two fiber dots?

2. With the sight heights shown does it shoot sight pic #3 ? i.e. center of the front dot

3. Similar question on the slot width and front sight width you choose - what do you like about the more narrow front and wider rear?

Thank you,
Dave

Old 12-09-2015, 02:46 AM   #4

PPX69 .22
Looks good! I really wonder if I can replace the plastic rod on my PPX with a steel guide rod. It's about the only thing I'm not to comfortable with.
PPX69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:07 AM   #5

Lef-T .22
Always happy to answer questions:

1. Any particular reason you prefer the plain black rear sight as opposed to the one with the two fiber dots? I like the simplicity of the plain black rear so that the front sight is the only thing that calls attention to my eye. It helps more when tracking the front sight at close/medium range at full speed. For far or difficult targets you'll slow down to better align your sights with or without dots. Overall I found it easier to focus on one dot rather than three.

2. With the sight heights shown does it shoot sight pic #3 ? i.e. center of the front dot
For most distances yes, but I found it can shoot a little high within 1-3 yards. It's only something to remember for close and thin no shoots.

3. Similar question on the slot width and front sight width you choose - what do you like about the more narrow front and wider rear?
I fell in love with it from the first moment I shot them. Having more space between the front and rear makes is so easy to speed up on close and medium range targets. I can still hit the far stuff easily, but it takes getting comfortable with. It can be difficult at first to get precision at greater distances but it comes with practice. The speed benefit of seeing the target zone through your sights is immediate and so worth the cost of the learning curve at distance.
pani likes this.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #6

DavidS .22
Thanks, this is very helpful. I am liking the stock sights less and less and need something else. I had Heinie sights on a P30 and liked them, wish they would make them for Walthers......

Also wondered what holster you use?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #7

Lef-T .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Also wondered what holster you use?
I have been using a custom kydex holster I made, but just ordered a comp-tac.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #8

olstyn .22
The following isn't meant to be accusatory in any way; I'm really just looking for some clarification.

Isn't that a 5" top end from an M2 swapped onto an M1 frame? Doesn't that make it not legal for production, since that's not a factory configuration? Even if that doesn't do it on its own, there's a limit of +2 ounces over factory weight for production. The base pads and the BT spring put you at +1.853, and I doubt that an inch of additional slide length doesn't put you over. (I was once allowed to slide by at +2.1 with my P99c because the scale being used was only accurate to +/- 0.1 ounce, but that's not something I'd want to count on.)

From my perspective, it looks like you've got a really nice gun for shooting Limited, but I'm of course willing to be corrected if I've misunderstood the rules. (Do those base pads add capacity, or just weight?)
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

PeterTheFish .22
The production list shows the same weight for the 4" and 5" PPQs so I'm assuming the slide lightening done is adequate to keep the weight the same.

That said, the frame / slide swap would indeed make this illegal for USPSA Production
PeterTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #10

Lef-T .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheFish View Post
The production list shows the same weight for the 4" and 5" PPQs so I'm assuming the slide lightening done is adequate to keep the weight the same.

That said, the frame / slide swap would indeed make this illegal for USPSA Production
Interesting catch on the listed weight. I can't drop mine on a scale at the moment, but the stock 5in seems heavier and could the 6 holes in the slide really even it out?

As for the 5in w/paddles, it depends because the PPQ falls into an interesting spot because the paddle is an OFM option. Obviously you can't put a longer slide on a gun, but appendix D4 (21.6) does allow the use of a larger OFM mag release if it's available on an approved model:
  • A factory/OFM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides a larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OFM part available on an approved model of gun.

The way I see it, I'm not putting a longer slide on an 4in PPQ, I'm using an OFM paddle mag release on my 5in that's available on an approved model.

I haven't found any specific rulings to the contrary. I'd be willing to run it at a major and this would be my defense if it falls into question. Worst case scenario, I'd get bumped to open, but I'd be curious to see which way it landed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (193.6 KB, 30 views)
pani likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions