P99 in IDPA? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #11

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
That said, competition is good for your skill in general. IMO people benefit from involvement in either sport.

100% agree with that sentiment.

Trigger time, especially on a timer is great practice for anyone. I'm not a fan of the IDPA rule set, and I seem to encounter a set of folks who feel IDPA is "training" which alternately annoys and amuses me. To me, they are both games, games that can be fun, and give some worthwhile practice to folks who want more than static target shooting.

Whatever sport though....I really enjoy the communities that spring up in the clubs, some really great people to get to know that make the match even more enjoyable.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-03-2015, 02:21 AM   #12

Gryff .22
I shot a P99 in IDPA for awhile. Enjoyed it, but the gun was in .40S&W and I wanted to move to something in 9mm.

By the way, it is illegal to run the gun cocked at the start in ESP division. This is because there is no safety on the gun when it's cocked. You can only run DA/SA guns cocked in the holster if they have a safety that allows them to run cocked and locked. Otherwise, they are in an unsafe start condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil827 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the 10 round start was a result of the mag limit bans that are no longer in place? (well, except for some states...) While the rule might be silly, once upon a time, it did have a purpose, and in some states still does.
The 10-round mag loading limit is still in effect for the divisions relevant to the P99. This allows the sport to be consistent across all states (although I think New York has changed it mag capacity law in the last couple of years).
Gryff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:22 AM   #13

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Otherwise, they are in an unsafe start condition.
I can't speak to IDPA's rules, but this statement seems false in the case of the P99. There is essentially no difference between a cocked (AS *or* SA) P99 trigger and the full-time all the time cocked state of the PPQ's trigger. If it's unsafe for one, it's unsafe for the other, and vice versa. Is the PPQ legal in IDPA?
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #14

Gryff .22
Match Directors are not supposed to be technical experts on every make and model of gun out there. Regarding DA/SA guns, it comes down to if there is no manual safety when starting in SA mode, it would be considered an unsafe start, and the gun would be required to start in DA mode.

The IDPA rule for start condition of a DA/SA gun in ESP is 8.2.2.1.6.2.

Quote:
Selective DA/SA firearms will start cocked and locked or de-cocked. This is at the shooter’s discretion, including firearms using the SSP into ESP rule.

Last edited by searcher451; 04-28-2016 at 10:39 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Gryff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #15

GottaluvaRedState .22
I shot a few IDPA and then an acquaintance suggested I come out for USPSA. Wow, night and day difference imo. I know it's off topic, but I thought I'd share. Try a USPSA match. I think you'll enjoy it more.
Sundevil827 likes this.

Butt-ugly plastic shooting appliance with the ergonomics of a caulking gun. - Glock

Cherish our history, save the Confederate Flag.
GottaluvaRedState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #16

tenchu74 Unproven
The 10 shot capcity rule levels the playing field between commonly used service pistols. So if you use a 13 shot Sig P228 you wont be handicapped shooting against a Glock 17 which holds 17 because both shooters can only load 10 rounds. It makes since cuz you dont want the Sig shooter to say why bother if i have such a disadvantage.
tenchu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #17

Herr Walther Unproven
I never thought IDPA was supposed to be a game. I thought it was to improve your real-world response under threat. At least I thought it started out like this in the late '90's.

At that time, that's why the ten round limit made no sense to me. The only one I'm shooting against is me. I'm not too concerned with how I do against someone else.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #18

tenchu74 Unproven
It's supposed to be a more realistic competition where tactics play an important part. But if there is a ranking of results I want to be at the top. That is why there needs to be rules that level the playing field. I actually prefer USPSA and 3 gun because I'm more about the game than the tactics. I want to beat my competition not myself.
tenchu74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions