Walther Arms Announces Title Sponsorship of USPSA Area 4 Championship - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lef-T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

Lef-T .22
Walther Arms Announces Title Sponsorship of USPSA Area 4 Championship

It's great to see Walther getting involved with the sport. Wish I was shooting this match.

Walther Arms Announces Title Sponsorship of USPSA Area 4 Championship : The Tactical Wire
Lef-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-07-2014, 09:51 PM   #2

Damcowboy .22
Walther needs to really push competition sports in my opinion. I don't see any reason why a 5" PPQ couldn't be just as competitive as a Glock 34, M&P Pro or an XD 5.25. The grip is a little smaller although the 17 rnd mags can compensate for that somewhat. I have big hands (used to grip a basketball in my high school years, but can't anymore) and the grip works fine for me.

Walther needs to get a sponsored team together with a GM shooter on it.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #3

Lef-T .22
Sponsoring a major match is a step in the right direction. It might be tough to get a big name shooter to switch to a PPQ with the current trend of matches being won by metal framed guns. Sevigny would have been a great pickup for Walther, but even with him at FNH, I'm not seeing any real rise in shooters wanting FNs. Everybody wants a CZ or Tangfo because those are the guns that are winning. I think supporting the sport through match sponsorship, prize tables, and good service/availability of parts is what will make people take notice of Walther. I sadly just don't see anyone with a chance of beating the top tier GMs switching over to Walther over another polymer platform without a decent aftermarket/parts supply. Those guys run guns hard and if they need a spring for this or that they need to be sure they can get it.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

extremist Unproven
Area 4 is in Cresson TX next year - I'll be working the match. But Walther won't sponsor me - a little disappointed in that.

Maybe I'll shoot my M&P 9L

James
NRA Endowment
NRA Instructor Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun, HFS, RSO
Walther PPQ/P99, HK P7 and 1911 aficionado
ShootPointBlank.Com North Richland Hills LTC
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #5

high_pockets .22
I hear they're going to introduce new firearm at the next match. ... I think they are going to call it the CCP? I think CCP is going to stand for "Certainly Can't Purchase."
high_pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #6

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lef-T View Post
Sponsoring a major match is a step in the right direction. ...
Very few people want to work harder, which is why I think you see more and more top shooters move to steel. I had heard that K.C. Eusebio leaving Glock was due in part to his wanting to shoot a 2011 at IPSC Nationals. Steel is just easier to get better results with. Not saying it's the only way to go, but when shooters are that close, the steel edge makes a difference.

While Walther says it wants to be in the competitive market, I'm not sure getting a top shooter is the way to go. I'm not sure that's the market a polymer is going to work for, it's competing with Glock, Springfield, S&W, and even H&K. I think Walther would be better off sponsoring stages, matches and so on, maybe more bang for their buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremist View Post
But Walther won't sponsor me - a little disappointed in that.
I'm just curious on what the Walther position is on why they don't have a team here in the U.S. They really are one of the few major manufacturer's that doesn't have some type of major sponsorship. Then again, I wonder if H&K will bring back a team in 2015, or if they will make a choice that the investment is not worth it for them.

Last edited by searcher451; 12-09-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 AM   #7

Lef-T .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremist View Post
I'll be working the match. But Walther won't sponsor me - a little disappointed in that.
It would be great to get a Walther team together. I recommend the PPQ to so many people, it'd be nice to get a match fee here or there in exchange for my testimonial and smoking stage times.

Out of curiosity, did you really ask them if they'd sponsor you?
searcher451 likes this.

Last edited by searcher451; 12-09-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Old 12-09-2014, 12:33 AM   #8

Lef-T .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil827 View Post
Very few people want to work harder, which is why I think you see more and more top shooters move to steel.
Top shooters and lazy mofos. I like to work for my alphas.

There's no doubt the Q is competitive, but you're right. When the difference between winning and 2nd is hundredths of a second, every advantage you can get counts. I'm working my way through A class next season (hopefully with a 5in) so I look forward to seeing where it's limitations really are. I think it'll take me a while to bump up to M, but I'm pretty determined not to resort to a lazy man's gun if I can help it.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #9

Damcowboy .22
Hey Lef-T, nice to see a left handed shooter drivin' a 4" PPQ (my situation as well) can make class A. Its an inspiration to a newbie.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #10

extremist Unproven
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lef-T View Post
It would be great to get a Walther team together. I recommend the PPQ to so many people, it'd be nice to get a match fee here or there in exchange for my testimonial and smoking stage times.

Out of curiosity, did you really ask them if they'd sponsor you?
I asked the person they put in charge of their "Walther Shooting Team" - Jon Hodaway.

James
NRA Endowment
NRA Instructor Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun, HFS, RSO
Walther PPQ/P99, HK P7 and 1911 aficionado
ShootPointBlank.Com North Richland Hills LTC
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page

kc eusebio reason for leaving glock

walther team shooters

Click on a term to search for related topics.