Did you know USPSA/IDPA classification qualifies you for a FL CCP? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Lef-T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Lef-T .22
Did you know USPSA/IDPA classification qualifies you for a FL CCP?

You CAN use your USPSA/IDPA classification as proof of firearms proficiency for a Florida concealed carry permit.

The language to satisfy the training requirement reads as follows, "documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;"

I was down in FL at the beginning of this month and took the opportunity to apply in person. I supplied them with my most recent USPSA card with a classification and a printout of my classification history from the USPSA website. I got my permit in the mail today.

All I can say is that it works, so anybody looking to get a FL permit can save their money on a class and put that $ towards some ammo or gear. To be fair, the people in the office were a little thrown off, and when I asked how many people use this option they said they see 3 or 4 a year in that office.
colt, Cyanide and DefendLiberty like this.
Lef-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

olstyn .22
Interesting. I have a permit from my home state, and I've thought about getting a FL or UT permit for better coverage, but I never considered doing it that way as an option. I wonder if you have to be at/above a certain class in order to qualify. I mean, I'm only a "D" class USPSA shooter at this point, but that's due more to my less than amazing draw speed while competing with an IWB holster than any accuracy problems.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #3

Lef-T .22
Nothing I found shows any minimum requirement other than participation. I would think that having enough classifier scores to get anything other than a U would be sufficient.

Let's be honest, do you think everyone who qualifies after the standard 4hr class could make D class? I'd say you're more than qualified, but I'm not the state of Florida.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

olstyn .22
Yes, I think everyone would make D class, as it's the lowest you can be. Most of my scores are just barely below C, and I often outperform some of the local C class shooters on field courses due to running faster than they do, but that's not the point; the way I understand the classification system to work, you could score 0% on 8 classifiers, never shoot again, and be in D class.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #5

Lef-T .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
Yes, I think everyone would make D class, as it's the lowest you can be. Most of my scores are just barely below C, and I often outperform some of the local C class shooters on field courses due to running faster than they do, but that's not the point; the way I understand the classification system to work, you could score 0% on 8 classifiers, never shoot again, and be in D class.
I stand corrected. For some reason I thought there was a minimum.

Although, if you can get through 8 classifiers, even if you zero them out you'll have had to be on the range for a significant amount of time which would be "experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition." It really is a wonderfully loose definition.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

olstyn .22
Yeah, and if you got through 8 w/o receiving a DQ, there's at least an implication that you're safe, if not terribly accurate or fast.

Last edited by searcher451; 08-28-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #7

Sundevil827 .22
For your initial classification, you only need 4 classifiers, not 8.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #8

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
My sons just did their free hunter's ed class at BassPro and it is also proof of proficiency in FL.
Andyd_is_PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #9

P99pete .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd_is_PzGren View Post
My sons just did their free hunter's ed class at BassPro and it is also proof of proficiency in FL.

But USPSA/IDPA is more fun then hunter's ed classes.

Government, in all forms, is just controlled oppression.

People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. -V

Getting old and cranky in my old age, just like old men are supposed to be.
P99pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #10

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by P99pete View Post
But USPSA/IDPA is more fun then hunter's ed classes.
Well, USPSA is......I'm not so sure about IDPA.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page
classification of cz shadow in idpa?
idpa ccp class

uspsa for florida concealed permit

Click on a term to search for related topics.