What Are You Shooting? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

View Poll Results: What shooting sports do you enjoy and participate in?
3-Gun 5 10.20%
Cowboy Action Shooting 2 4.08%
IDPA 20 40.82%
Rimfire 6 12.24%
Skeet & Clay 4 8.16%
Steel Challege 8 16.33%
IPSC & USPSA 16 32.65%
Other 20 40.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #11

CFRHunter .22
I currently shoot IDPA, mostly due to convenience and time. In IDPA I was primarily shooting CDP (Les Baer 1911), ESP (PPQ) and now Iím going to try SSP with an S&W M&P 5Ē Pro.

I used to compete pretty heavily in Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette, Creedmoor (800, 900 &1000 yards), Buffalo Matches and CAS. The reloading process for the BPCS stuff was killing me between casting and loading, about 10hrs for a match. Plus our first son came along; so hopefully Iíll be able to get back to it when heís a little older.

I also shot smallbore in the Army (when the Army did stuff like that), and in a Trap League for a while.

Chuck
CFRHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #12

pani .22
I shoot IPSC pistol production division with my Q and Shotgun Open with my Benelli M3. No three gun matches as semi auto rifles are prohibited even for sporting use.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
rtp

rtp .22
Selected 'other' as non USPSA or IDPA sanctioned leagues, but two different local leagues, for both pistol only and for 3 gun. Rules are more or less similar, but fewer overall, with simpler divisions and slightly simpler scoring (A, B, or C hits count only for one, other is hit or miss only).

Currently shooting 2x 3 guns + 1 pistol match/month. Am considering swapping those (2x pistol matches, 1x 3 gun), but it's all about free time and relative location. 75 mins or so each way is about my limit.

Considering moving into USPSA but also just getting my wife into shooting pistol matches. I'm familiar with and overall fine with the USPSA rules (although I believe I'll be avoiding IDPA, not a fan of 'you must engage in this specific order' type rules), but it's slightly less rule-centric what we're doing now, so will continue doing that until my wife's confidence level rises.

Example matches (one of which is a big bi-yearly one, not the norm):
pani likes this.

Last edited by rtp; 11-25-2013 at 11:33 AM.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #14

Serenitynow .22
I participate in the South Central Los Angeles Drive-by league. Real targets are better than a virtual video game. Just kidding!!!

I'd love to compete in something eventually but my main focus at this point is more training.

<<<<<<<Walther PPQ M1 9mm
>>>>>>>
Member NRA, and http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Serenitynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #15

gunbunny Unproven
I like to compete in the summer biathlon. It is usually a 5k run with two shooting stops. The run is usually a 1.1 mile loop (run three circuits), and the range is 25 yards for sportsmen and 50 yards for Olympic competition.

The rifles stay at the range when you run the loops. You enter the shooting range in one direction and exit the other side in a smaller loop. For safety, you only grab the barrel when pulling your rifle from the rack and walking, or sometimes running (when allowed by the local event coordinator), over to the shooting lanes.

I get yelled at a lot for this because I hate the thought of carrying my rifle by the barrel with a sweaty hand. We all know (at least those of us who shoot) know how corrosive bodily oils and sweat is to the finish of a firearm! The people overseeing the match don't seem to be shooters, but more of runners that like to shoot every once and awhile.

I now wear a glove in my left hand when running, so I don't make contact between the barrel and my bare skin anymore. I also tear down and clean the rifle before leaving the competition. I always get sweat on the comb of the stock, and don't want to ruin my hand rubbed tung oil finish. Yes, I'm probably a little overprotective of my rifle, but at least it gets out of the safe and is being used.

I've only ever competed in the sportsman's category, as I'm not that great of a runner, but usually can shoot clean. The Olympic competitors can outrun me in time even if they miss all ten. I think the penalty loops should be longer...

The first shooting stop (after the first loop) is for five shots at five targets in the prone position. The second shooting stop (after the second loop) is for five shots at five targets offhand. Misses are dealt with in one of two ways; either a 100m penalty loop for each miss, or a set number of seconds added to your overall time for each miss.

There isn't much shooting during a match, only ten total rounds total, but they are very challenging set of ten rounds! Try jogging for 30 seconds or so at the range next time and then trying to hit 4" circles offhand while breathing heavy and your heart is pounding. If you like to shoot, and you like to run, you can do them both in the summer biathlon.

I shoot an old Winchester Model 69 with a Millet rear aperture and Lyman front globe sights. I bought it at my local gun shop as a basket case, and carefully restored and modified it with some decent competition sights.

The rifles approved for biathlon must be bolt action (standard or fortner) with a 5 round detachable magazine. I would love to try a Walther Biathlon rifle, but I have yet to actually see one, let alone buy one. I see a LOT of Anschutz rifles at the meets.

One of the most amazing things that I've noticed while shooting the summer biathlon, is the incredible diversity. Young and old, men and women, shooters and non-shooters are all there having fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (1.91 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg running a loop.JPG (107.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Megan prone.JPG (155.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg shooting offhand.JPG (87.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg penalty loops for misses.JPG (170.4 KB, 25 views)
searcher451, pani and rtp like this.
gunbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #16

JC360 .22
Been about 3 years or so since I have competed. I did the nra and cmp service rifle matches.
JC360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #17

P99pete .22
Due to disability, I only do a local steel plate shoot now. No longer able to run and gun. I can still manage a 3.75 second average for 5 8" plates at 15 yards or so. Once in a while I go to a local accuracy match, varied targets (steel plates, paper plates, bowling pins, texas star, poppers, etc.) 10 to 50 yards out, 50 to 72 round count, your score is number of hits out of hits possible. Was a GSSF competitor, entered 5 times with borrowed Glocks until I won the three guns and was promoted to master (not worth bothering with afterwards as it cost more to shoot then you can win). Did Steel Challenge and a bit of IPSC before my knees went south. It's not the age, but the mileage, though the age is a factor too.
Sundevil827 and pani like this.

Government, in all forms, is just controlled oppression.

People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. -V

Getting old and cranky in my old age, just like old men are supposed to be.

Last edited by P99pete; 01-19-2014 at 07:16 AM.
P99pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #18

imashooter2 .22
USPSA Revolver. Just shot my first match using 8 shot minor. I predict there won't be a serious revolver shooter left using a 6 gun inside 2 years.

ICORE Limited.

Falling steel. The PSA Shootout every year as well as the Palmyra Rimfire Challenge. Great fun!
imashooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #19

Reloader54 .22
I shoot in and run a Pistol Silhouette/ Cowboy Lever Action match. I do sometimes shoot my Walther Colt Gov't 1911 Rail .22lr in the match. I've also shot my colt Trooper MK5 .357 Mag, and my Rossi M92 Lever .357mag as well. in the matches. I'm planning on trying my Rugar Black Hawk Single Action Revolver in .45lc as well as my Rossi .45lc lever action. The match that I run is once a month on the first Sunday. It's at the Usary Mountain Shooting Range also known as Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa, AZ. And if anyone is in the area on the first Sunday of the month and would like to check it out I'd be more than happy to give you the details on the match. Just let me know. Or you can go to Rio Salado Sportsman's Club web site " www.azrssc.com" and find out about not only my match but all of the different types of matches that they have to shoot in.

Prod supporter of not only the 2A but also all of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. I also believe in a Government for the people, by the people, and run by the people. And that the Government is small and that there are term limits for ALL of the elected officials. Now terms of more than 12 years as it was first written in the Constitution by the founding Fathers.
Reloader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #20

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
USPSA Revolver. Just shot my first match using 8 shot minor. I predict there won't be a serious revolver shooter left using a 6 gun inside 2 years.
Are there a lot of revolver shooters in USPSA at all, let alone serious ones? At my local club, Production is far and away the largest division, followed by Limited, with between half and 2/3 as many shooters as Production most of the time. Single stack and Open are roughly equal at about half as many as Limited, and Revolver is almost nonexistent, with only one person consistently shooting in that division. (The most revolver shooters I've seen in the scores at any given match was 3.)

As far as what I do goes, I'd like to be able to check the 3-gun box in addition to USPSA/IPSC, but unfortunately, I don't own either of the required long guns, and that investment is a bit of a daunting prospect just to get to try the sport...

Last edited by olstyn; 10-21-2014 at 12:32 PM.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions