PPQ for IPSC Production Class - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #1

ArnoRSA .22
PPQ for IPSC Production Class

Are anyone here using their PPQ's (classic or M2) for IPSC Production Class shooting (or any other type of competitive shooting)?

I was recently told that I "bought the wrong gun for competitive shooting" by another competitor "as spares and accessories in South Africa are very limited for PPQ's". He then recommended the usual: Glock or CZ.

But I differ from him - the PPQ has one of (if not the best) triggers on any Production Class pistol, and is frequently reviewed as one of the most accurate pistols available. I bought mine for these reasons (and because it fits like a glove).

Anyway, wanted to get some feedback from others that might be using their PPQ competitively.
DanKNOW likes this.
ArnoRSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #2

3djedi .22
It's a great pistol for IPSC, USPSA, and IDPA. I use mine for USPSA production and IDPA. The only thing you might want to change are the sights. Maybe go with some fiber optic. Your biggest problem is magazines. But if you could get your hands on 4-5 extra your good to go. Took me awhile to get 5 but I found them.

I tried a glock and an M&P but with my PPQ I get much better accuracy. I love the gun. And like you said, it fits like a glove!
3djedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #3

ArnoRSA .22
Yes, to find magazines are a pain in the a$$. Do you have original Walther mags only, or do you have "suitable alternatives"?

The Walther mags are very expensive, but I am not too sure if the alternatives work properly or not.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

pani .22
Some of us post here every now and then...

Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions - WaltherForums

Get a FO front and black rear. I would recommend Dawson precision.
Sundevil827 likes this.
pani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
rtp

rtp .22
The PPQ doesn't have any inherent reliability issues that I'm aware of, so 'spare parts' shouldn't be a real concern. Of course, everyone decides if they bring a backup gun with them for competitions.

Spare mags and decent holsters can be found. What aftermarket parts do you believe you need on the PPQ? Maybe a Talon grip tape, otherwise the one real downfall is sights, choices of which are still somewhat scarce.

I run the PPQ in outlaw 3 gun and pistol matches (not so much outlaw as a regional club), and will be doing the same for USPSA shortly. Currently running a HiViz front FO sight and OE rear, while hoping Speed Sights will come through at some point. If you prefer or are used to typical night sights or FO sights, this is a non-issue for you.
Sundevil827 likes this.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

Sundevil827 .22
I'll start by saying I've used my PPQ for USPSA/IPSC (and a couple of IDPA) since February '13, which has been over 11k rounds now. I did toy with an XDM for a match this summer, but decided to stick with the PPQ for at least a year, and hit a couple of personal goals before I make any switch. I need to make some progress, and the gun is not my limiting factor, my skill is. Sights are what they are, I ran it bone stock for 5 months before I switched to the Dawson Precision sights, and now I've put the Dawson's on everything I own, I love 'em that much.

The Trigger:

Out of the box? Sure, the PPQ is very likely the best polymer trigger that you can find. That said, even in production, there are plenty of modifications you can make to other triggers and keep them legal that in theory make them better. The Powder River kit for the XDM, the Glockworks kits for a Glock, and so on, and so on. Get away from polymer, and the CZ Shadow Target has some phenomenal mod's that keep it IPSC and USPSA Production legal.

Accuracy:

This is a pretty subjective thing. Other than some general historical issues with some product lines, a gun is generally going to be more accurate than the shooter is. It's you, not the gun. Of what I own, I'm the most accurate with the PPQ, but I've spent some time with a friends Tanfoglio Stock 2, and a CZ Shadow Target, and at speed, I'm remarkably accurate with them, more so than my PPQ. The heavier, more solid steel gun suffers less from recoil, and it's easier to shoot. (For me)

The Reality:

Shoot what you like, and what works for you. Guys like Eric Grauffel and Ben Stoeger are going to be GM's if they shoot Hi-Point. They shoot steel guns because at that level, why not stack the deck in your favor? Why work harder than they need to? No reason someone could not make A or B with a PPQ, and push that to a Master level shooter. Is it ideal? Probably not, since it's size compares to a G19 instead of a G17 or G34, but with work, you can certainly achieve. If you are out to have fun, shoot a great stock gun, not have to buy a gun, and then spend hundreds more to modify it, AND if you enjoy shooting it, by all means go PPQ.

I know the Stock 2, and the Shadow Target are considered "cheater" guns because they are ideal for the sport, but unless you have solid fundamental skills, it really does not matter. Having one of those is not going to make a GM shooter out of someone with "C" skills.

I'd have no problem recommending the PPQ to anyone considering shooting sports. It's a great choice, and as long as you hone your skills, you can do very well with it.
pani, Veto11, Planner and 1 others like this.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #7

ArnoRSA .22
I think my concerns with the "right" type of pistol are settled, I have a great gun that works for me and that I feel comfortable with. I am happy to hear that the PPQ is actually being used for competitive shooting.

Thank you to each one that replied to my original post and provided their opinions.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
This thread just makes more sense over here.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Planner .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3djedi View Post
It's a great pistol for IPSC, USPSA, and IDPA. I use mine for USPSA production and IDPA. The only thing you might want to change are the sights. Maybe go with some fiber optic. Your biggest problem is magazines. But if you could get your hands on 4-5 extra your good to go. Took me awhile to get 5 but I found them.

I tried a glock and an M&P but with my PPQ I get much better accuracy. I love the gun. And like you said, it fits like a glove!
M1 or M2 for USPSA production?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #10

3djedi .22
M2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
3djedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page
best pistol production ipsc
glock 19 for uspsa production class
is walther ppq a production or standard
is walther ppq legal for ipsc

ppq ipsc

ppq m2 uspsa parts

ppq uspsa production

walther ppq for ipsc

walther ppq ipsc

walther ppq m2 ipsc
walther ppq ?retim tarihi
what sights on walther ppq for uspsa
Click on a term to search for related topics.