First match shot with my PPQ (M2) - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
rtp

rtp .22
First match shot with my PPQ (M2)

I shot a pistol match yesterday with my PPQ.
My wife just shot her first competition, and 'adopted' my Glock 19.

Round count was somewhere around 120 rounds or more, 5 stages.
Used an IWI roto-paddle holster as the only one I was able to get quickly while I decide between a comp-tac and Safariland for later.

I had ordered a Hi-Viz red FO front sight, which Amazon Prime managed to let me down on for the first time ever (shipment went into limbo, in transit to carrier for days), so I got a 'replacement' shipment the afternoon after the match was done. The night before, I grabbed some orange nail polish and put a blob on the front sight post, to at least ease in rapid acquisition.

I started out shooting low, but with the first stage clean, at least. I'd only shot the PPQ once before, and really should have shot it more before the match, on shoot-n-see clean targets, but at least by the end of the match, I figured out what my issue was in the sight picture..the PPQ with stock sights = dot on target, not below/line up top posts, with my Glock closer to the latter.

Even so, didn't have any issues with the PPQ, went through more rounds after the match as well, just shooting some practice steel. Burned through around 250 rounds through the PPQ, no issues at all in the way of reliability.

The PPQ does have more recoil/muzzle flip than my G19, likely due to the higher bore axis. I can't say that I noticed it being significantly slower in any way, though. I'm still not a fan of the OE sights - the orange 'dot'/blob up front helped, but it's still a very wide rear gap on the rear sight, IMO. This doesn't impact on the point shots or the shoot while moving at closer in targets, but does become bothersome on the further out targets and bonus shots, along with the headshots (we have some shots that must be head shots only).

Will see how I did when the scores are out in the next day or two. I know I shot at least a few of the stages clean, including the first one, which I'm happy with for shooting a brand new to me gun. No magazine fumbling, no inadvertent mag releases, which I had once or twice using the smaller backstrap my first time shooting it - going to the medium and working on my grip worked..and of course, no failure to feed/fire/eject.

The only real issue I need to sort is either a full set of replacement sights, or a rear that will work with the Hi-Viz front FO now on the gun.
Going to use the PPQ as my primary comp. gun for the moment, and try to work out the sight issue at some point.

Last edited by rtp; 10-13-2013 at 12:09 PM.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
rtp

rtp .22
Some truly bad cellphone pics showing the now mounted FO front, and gun in the IWI paddle holster, slight cant adjusted in.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Sundevil827 .22
Love the front sight!

I just went Dawson myself, and sight acquisition is so much easier.

Sounds like it was a good match!
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
rtp

rtp .22
Which size did you go with for the front/rear on the Dawsons?
I'm still holding out hope to get speedsights to come through, but - options are good.

Will be shooting another match on Saturday and will see how the front FO does, but am expecting it to be better..

Last edited by rtp; 10-14-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Sundevil827 .22
.100 on the front with .125 on the rear.

That's enough air for me, the .145's might be too much, although I know it works great for another PPQ member here.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
rtp

rtp .22
Thanks, that's the combo that was drawing me the most from their sight combo pictures.

Scores came in from my match. I shot 2 of 5 clean, with one stage in particular throwing me for a loop on some penalties. Checking the scores vs last match, I placed and shot better (# of penalties/clean stages) with the G19, but as each match is different and I'm still adjusting to the PPQ, who knows?

I think the sight picture vs my ingrained/trained behavior with the Glock didn't help me out here, but I should do better on the next match..going to do at least a 3 gun and another pistol match before coming to any conclusions, and spend a bit more non-match time in between.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
rtp

rtp .22
3 gun coming up tomorrow, leaving the Glock home and will be using the PPQ with new Hi-Viz front sight. I'm actually hoping for a mostly pistol stage tomorrow, but if not, will be chrono-ing current rounds through the PPQ and spending some pistol time afterwards.
Sundevil827 likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #8

Sundevil827 .22
3-Gun works, gotta share what kind of rig you are running there!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
rtp

rtp .22
All stages in this case turned out to be literally 'all 3 guns,' so no pistol only stages.
I did OK, placing almost exactly mid-pack, very close to tying up a place higher. Not my best match/overall, but also not my worst.

I had one failure to fire (my reloads), middle of the stage, first round from mag - not sure if it was a light strike, not fully pressed in primer, or other - tap/rack/bang and was off again, and wasn't able to recover the round in question.

No issues otherwise, and shot another 80 rounds or so after the match. Unfortunately I'd lost the light by then, so wasn't able to get a consistent reading on my chrono.

Still not crazy about the sights, although the HiViz front is a definite improvement. I've got a pistol only match coming up on the 9th; will see how it goes, and hopefully get some more range time in before that match.
Sundevil827 likes this.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
rtp

rtp .22
An update. I've shot a few more matches with the PPQ.
Round count is around 3k rounds on the gun at this point.

I had my first failure with my PPQ M2 in a match.
Ammo - fairly warm reloads, 124gr JHP, ~1100FPS+.

Not entirely sure of the cause at this point, as you're a bit 'focused' in a match. Pulled trigger, click/no bang. Quarter second of 'wtf?' followed by the usual, tap/rack/pull = no bang, drop mag, rack/rack, new mag, continue shooting. No issues for rest of match (this was first stage). Mag I had dropped had 6 or 7 rounds in it when I had to drop it. Should have probably noted the mag number after that stage, but didn't - reloaded all mags, that one included, and shot the rest of the match w/out issue.

Calling it a quirk/unknown at this time - single failure in ~3k rounds or so.

Still using an IWI/IMI/ITac/Sigtach retention holster, but have ordered a Safariland 6378, along with an HSGI war belt. This may or may not be legal in USPSA, but right now - don't care. I shoot in two different leagues, and the belt is legal in both. Picked up some MLS kits, which I'll use for the pistol + shot shell carriers (lately shooting more 3 gun vs pistol only). When I eventually shoot a USPSA match, if the belt is a no-go there, I'll just pick up some Q/ELS kits and a Safariland comp belt, and still be able to swap between belts easily, while until then, one belt, easy on/off, for range, classes, and competition.

One of these days I'll probably give in and pick up a purely competition holster, but for the time being at least, I really like active retention holsters. If I don't like the 6378 after some practice and a few matches, I'll go back to the Sigtac roto holster and consider a passive retention comp type holster, I guess.

Overall, the good..

Reliability has been excellent, sans the single incident above. I've had more (yet very few) failures on my G19 considering the round count, so I'm not concerned about it at the moment one bit.

It remains a comfortable gun to shoot.

The mixed:
Accuracy has been reasonable, but I'm still not feeling 'at one' with the gun. Some stages I'll be spot on, but now and then I'll have a stage wondering just where the heck I'm hitting when I was sure I was spot on. This may be me 'forcing it' a bit, versus being more relaxed, point naturally, shoot, or trying to aim more perfectly than I need to be, fighting between point shots vs more time to aim. Really not sure. Probably going to do a 1:1 training session in the upcoming month or two to see if someone can spot what I'm doing when I'm pulling shots.

I did lose my front sight (Hi Viz) on one match, or more accurately, not lose it, but realized after the match that it was a thread or two from falling off...that certainly didn't help accuracy for that match! I thought I'd loc-tited it, but may not have; resolved now.

Still no Speed Sights for the PPQ. Kind of annoyed by this one. I've got a slightly blemished front sight, am considering replacing the Hi-Viz with it and a bit of epoxy or JB-weld, but need to do some measurements first.

The bad:
None to speak of.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page
cz 75 sp01 accu shadow for sale
ppq m2
ppq m2 competition
ppq m2 competitions
ppq m2 mag well competition

ppq m2 review

walther ppq for 3 gun

walther ppq in competition
walther ppq m2
walther ppq m2 competition

walther ppq m2 review

what sights work with walther ppq m2
Click on a term to search for related topics.