First match shot with my PPQ (M2) - Page 4 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #31
rtp

rtp .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil827 View Post
I ran an M1, so I had no problems with it at major matches, but if I had an M2, I would definitely give a call to see if it can be used at a major match. My argument is that the PPQ is on the approved list, and not defined as M1 or M2. As long as weight and barrel is the same length, then either the M1 or M2 should fit the definition. However, considering the cost associated with major matches, I'd definitely make the call ahead of time.
Absolutely on the call, and I'm using the same logic here - no model specified, just:
Quote:
PPQ 9mm 4.01 barrel (24.52 oz.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil827 View Post
I made the switch to the CZ last year and never looked back. I jumped 2 classes from December thru April. My times, and accuracy are much improved than with the PPQ. I suspect if I shot the PPQ today I'd be far better with it than I was in December, but the CZ is definitely conducive to being customized, and it really is a "competition" gun.

The 5" PPQ may be competitive, and is certainly at a more attractive price point, but for my dollar, the CZ helped minimize some flaws I have had, it's made the experience more enjoyable, and those two things made it a lot easier for me earn some honest improvement.
Definitely, on all of the above. I picked up the CZ as 'second choice' in looking for a 5" PPQ locally, but I'm glad I did. The improvement in my accuracy and time was pretty decent, with ~300 rounds of load testing bone-stock, then 'the usual CZ mods' and right into a match without shooting the modified gun beforehand. I can already see the draw of a Shadow safety model (mine's a de-cocker), but want to see how far this one can take me first.

The proof will be in reliability and repeatability in my next couple of matches, but I imagine this is much closer to the feeling of those saying they grabbed the PPQ and were immediately 'more accurate'...but holds true for the CZ with me, so far.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #32

Planner .22
Thanks for the feedback. To be on the safe side, I started my USPSA journey this May with the G19 and a few internal mods on that gun. I had spent the first four months of this year preparing myself with the PPQ but haven't touched it since as I wanted to adjust back to my trusty G19.

I may take both the PPQ and G19 to the range this weekend and do a little side by side on controlled pairs to see which one I handle better. My local club won't have an issue, but bigger matches, not so sure as mentioned above.

Funny you mention CZ. I've had a CZ hunting rifle for a while and been looking hard at a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target or Accu-Shadow as my long term Production gun.

My quandary now, as a new USPSA shooter, is sorting out what my goals in the sport are/will be. I'm building a M&P for Limited and really eyeballing an STI Trojan for Single Stack.

I have more pistols than I can practice with, so maintaining status quo is not a bad option either.

FWIW, I came in 15th out of 18 in Production on my first match, and that was with zero points on stage 2 due to M and NS penalties. I got a bit excited after a good stage 1. With a few more A zone hits, I'll be fairly competitive with my G19.

I may pick up a CZ P07 this weekend as well, just to acquaint myself with DA/SA again. Plenty of past experience with Beretta 92s but it's been a few years.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #33
rtp

rtp .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner View Post
Thanks for the feedback. To be on the safe side, I started my USPSA journey this May with the G19 and a few internal mods on that gun. I had spent the first four months of this year preparing myself with the PPQ but haven't touched it since as I wanted to adjust back to my trusty G19.
I wouldn't worry at all about PPQ reliability, if that's the concern. Finding sights that work well for you is a bit more challenging, but the gun doesn't really need more than sights done to it.

Quote:
My quandary now, as a new USPSA shooter, is sorting out what my goals in the sport are/will be. I'm building a M&P for Limited and really eyeballing an STI Trojan for Single Stack.
Why the M&P?
I'd love to retain mag compatibility, which is one of the reasons for considering a 5" PPQ, along with the slightly longer sight radius. For anything other than a pure range toy, I prefer to have 8 or more mags, sometimes different capacities...and those can add up!

Quote:
FWIW, I came in 15th out of 18 in Production on my first match, and that was with zero points on stage 2 due to M and NS penalties. I got a bit excited after a good stage 1. With a few more A zone hits, I'll be fairly competitive with my G19.
'Not last' is a great first match goal. It also gets you over the initial 'overly-excited hump,' and hopefully starts you on the path to slow down, and realize an extra second here or there with a good hit > faster stage with more misses. I think most of us still can improve in that area..
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #34

Planner .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
I wouldn't worry at all about PPQ reliability, if that's the concern. Finding sights that work well for you is a bit more challenging, but the gun doesn't really need more than sights done to it.
Not worried! It is a quality gun for sure. Sights changed, I run FO front and .140 notch rear on all my main handguns. Running a slightly modified large palm swell, other than the tweaks for my hand and sights, it is bone stock.

Quote:
Why the M&P?
I'd love to retain mag compatibility, which is one of the reasons for considering a 5" PPQ, along with the slightly longer sight radius. For anything other than a pure range toy, I prefer to have 8 or more mags, sometimes different capacities...and those can add up!
I've always wanted one! Like the ergos on the gun and had a void after trading my G17 for the PPQ. As far as a USPSA limited class gun, the aftermarket support is there for the M&P. Magwells, extended base pads, and the beautimous Apex FSS aluminum trigger with lighter springs. It's not a STI 2011, but a fantastic shooter non the less.

I started out with a collection of Glocks but my tastes have changed a bit over the last 18 months. Got a box full of interchangeable 9mm Glock items. I do regret giving up the G17, however, the PPQ was a must-add to my collection after I handled one at Cabelas five months ago. If I opted for a 5" gun right now, it would be the XDm 5.25, I really enjoy my other XDm line guns. My concealed carry weapon is the 9 mm XDs. Though not a 5" barrel, the CZ75 appeals to me for the heavier frame.

My problem is I just like guns. Like Oreo cookies, one is not enough! In all seriousness, the bigger challenge is maturing in the game and separating those needs from that of a regular gun enthusiast. I went through this same process in the mid-2000s when I started competing on my mountain bike. At first, I eschewed a 'race' bike, etc. 8 years later, I ride a carbon framed hard tail race bike. It does what I need it to do better than the what I was using previously.

I think the G19 (and PPQ if ever approved by NROI) can/will see me through the first year in USPSA and first few classifications. I don't see either being my long term solution for Production.

Quote:
'Not last' is a great first match goal. It also gets you over the initial 'overly-excited hump,' and hopefully starts you on the path to slow down, and realize an extra second here or there with a good hit > faster stage with more misses. I think most of us still can improve in that area..
My three successfully acheived match goals for the first match:
- don't shoot myself or anyone else
- don't get a DQ
- don't come in last

Now that I have one under my belt and know what to expect, I'll be a bit more deliberate with game prep and strategy in my training. Focusing practice on improving A zone hits with my controlled pairs lately to negate the M and NS which cost me a lot of points.
rtp likes this.

Last edited by Planner; 05-30-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Planner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #35

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Funny you mention CZ. I've had a CZ hunting rifle for a while and been looking hard at a CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target or Accu-Shadow as my long term Production gun. ...

Just my 2 cents, but the extra coin for the Accu-Shadow is really not worth it. Pick up a Shadow Target, and deck it out the way you want it. Very few stages you'll ever shoot will require something like an Accu-Shadow. The truth is, the Shadow Target is going to be a more accurate gun than most people are shooters. I've got a friend who is considering Bianchi Cup, and for him the Accu Shadow makes sense, but unless you are shooting matches with regular 50 yard targets, save the coin, and invest it in magazines and other accessories.

The PPQ and G19 are good solid guns, I'd imagine it'd be easy enough for an experienced shooter to make "B" class in USPSA with either. They are accurate shooters, and you'll be competitive enough in that level. When you start talking beyond that, I'm sure you can do it, but there are going to be guns like the G34, that are just going to make the process easier.

Last edited by searcher451; 06-02-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #36

Planner .22
Thanks for the input on Shadows! I like the way you think.

I did shoot a PO7, CZ 75 and the STI Trojan this weekend, confirming which way I want to go.

Did not buy the PO7, instead will direct those funds to reloading equipment so I can shoot more.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #37

Planner .22
So, I shot a local club match with my PPQ M2 last night and beat my G19 performance. The 5" M2 is on the NROI production list so 4" M2 is not far off.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #38

Planner .22
Quote:
If I opted for a 5" gun right now, it would be the XDm 5.25, I really enjoy my other XDm line of guns. My concealed carry weapon is the 9 mm XDs. Though not a 5" barrel, the CZ75 appeals to me for the heavier frame.
XDm is my long term plan. Picked up a 4.5" 9mm to replace my M&P, this gun will take me over the next year in USPSA Production, then I'll jump to a Canyon Creek modified 5.25". Picked up a 3.8" 9mm compact to replace the G19. Consistency in feel and form across the lineup.

I already had a 4.5" .45 that I plan to use in Limited 10 and my Colt 1991A1 which I'll soup up for Single Stack.

Will probably shoot the PPQ in matches for another month or two while I sort out holsters for the XDm. I'd like to keep one belt setup for both the .45 and 9. Holster probably not so much the issue as mag pouches will be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page
cz 75 sp01 accu shadow for sale
ppq m2
ppq m2 competition
ppq m2 competitions
ppq m2 mag well competition

ppq m2 review

walther ppq for 3 gun

walther ppq in competition
walther ppq m2
walther ppq m2 competition

walther ppq m2 review

what sights work with walther ppq m2
Click on a term to search for related topics.