First match shot with my PPQ (M2) - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Still no Speed Sights for the PPQ. Kind of annoyed by this one. I've got a slightly blemished front sight, am considering replacing the Hi-Viz with it and a bit of epoxy or JB-weld, but need to do some measurements first.
You mean like this?

Last edited by imaoldfart; 01-03-2014 at 04:20 PM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #12

Sundevil827 .22
I mentioned it in your other thread, but it almost sounds like either a light primer strike, or a bad primer. Since it was a 1 time issue, I'd bet more on a bad primer than a light strike, it would be interesting if you had found that round, and been able to see what kind of strike there was.

Sounds like some excellent progress and fun in your matches. It's good to see people get out there with the PPQ's, and even better to come back and report their experiences.

Video next time!
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
rtp

rtp .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
You mean like this?
Lol, yes, exactly like that.
What rear sight are you using, and how is it shooting with the front SS?

Last edited by searcher451; 01-04-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Bandwidth
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
rtp

rtp .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil827 View Post
I mentioned it in your other thread, but it almost sounds like either a light primer strike, or a bad primer. Since it was a 1 time issue, I'd bet more on a bad primer than a light strike, it would be interesting if you had found that round, and been able to see what kind of strike there was.

Sounds like some excellent progress and fun in your matches. It's good to see people get out there with the PPQ's, and even better to come back and report their experiences.

Video next time!
Yeah, thought about it, but first tap/rack should have had me back in the game, unless I had TWO mis-seated primers in a row, which isn't impossible, but fairly statistically low probability.

Been thinking about picking up something like, but not as $$$ as a Go Pro..still weighing options, moreso as the latest gen GoPro seems to have a few issues..
Old 01-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
That's a Meprolight rear sight. The Speed Sight front sight is too wide and too tall....or the slot in the rear sight is too narrow. This is not really a good combination. And in conversations with Speed Sights, I get the gut feeling that we'll never see any more speed sights, much less something for the Q.

I have to say, I really do like the diamond sight picture.....I just wish he'd develop a package for the Q.

However, what I'm using instead of the Speed Sight is an AmeriGlo and it's working like a charm....changes the sight picture where the POI is the top center of the front sight instead of the Walther factory POI behind the dot on the front sight.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #16

Sundevil827 .22
Quote:
Yeah, thought about it, but first tap/rack should have had me back in the game, unless I had TWO mis-seated primers in a row, which isn't impossible, but fairly statistically low probability.
Actually, that's how I tend to see it happen to people, either they have a bad set of primers in their reloads, or they get 2-3 in a box of 50, which would imply that the factory had a few bad ones, and they got sorted and packed together. That's just my experience, I have no idea if that's the norm or not, but that would still be my hunch.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 AM   #17
rtp

rtp .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
That's a Meprolight rear sight.
That doesn't sound good, any more info on SS/no more? That would be upsetting to see happen.

Is the Ameriglo front a Walther front sight, or modified Glock?

Last edited by searcher451; 01-04-2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Bandwidth
Old 01-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
That doesn't sound good, any more info on SS/no more? That would be upsetting to see happen.

Is the Ameriglo front a Walther front sight, or modified Glock?
For the rear, I use a Meprolight ML-18800 or ML-18801 (these rears are the same height) and for the front a AmeriGlo (Glock) (GL-212-OR-Q. The Glock front sight requires a custom install to get it to fit the PPQ/P99.

Steps to install the Glock front sight in a Walther PPQ:

Things needed:
  • AmeriGlo GL-212-OR-Q
  • JB Weld
  • Scrap cardboard or something for mixing the JB Weld
  • Toothpick…maybe two.
  • Hex tool for tightening itty bitty screw that holds front sight. 3/16 nut driver, or Glock front sight installation tool.
  • Gun oil….or any oil.
  • Masking tape
  • One, Du Bro No. 4 flat washer.
Install instructions:
  • Remove slide, recoil spring and barrel.
  • Remove front sight.
  • Use a little oil and coat the inside and outside of the slot where the front sight attaches. We’re doing this to keep the JB Weld from sticking to ANY portion of the slide/slot. I’m not talking about dripping wet, just a nice thin coat.
  • Be sure to keep the front sight clean and free from any oil.
  • Very carefully insert the front sight into the slot of the slide. Make sure the sight is pushed all the way forward and apply a small strip of masking tape to temporarily hold the sight in place.
  • Turn the slide upside down and lay on the table.
  • Mix up a little dab of JB Weld…I’m talking a little bit, as we’re only going to be using a drop a little larger in size than the head of a pin.
  • Use a toothpick and put a little drop of epoxy in the cavity created by the reduced size of the Glock’s male protrusion…as it doesn’t fill up the slot in the slide and that’s what the JB Weld is gonna do for us. Refer to the picture of one of my modified sights in a previous post.
  • Caution….don’t over do the JB Weld….it's kinda like Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya.
  • Clean the toothpick off or use another toothpick. Place a no. 4 flat washer on the toothpick, holding the washer up near the op of the toothpick. Place the bottom end of the toothpick into the screw hole in the bottom of the sight and then release the washer….it’ll slide down the toothpick, right into place.
  • Install nut….using a little blue Loctite 242. Don’t over tighten the nut…but snug it down.
  • Now, pick up the slide, remove masking tape and check the alignment of the site. If it should be a little out of alignment, now is the time to fix that. When required, I used a small crescent (adjustable) wrench, adjusted to fit the site and just give it a little tweak one way or the other.
  • Now is also the time to look inside and out for any signs of excess epoxy….clean off any you see.
That’s about it…..I’ve done this to MANY guns….haven’t had one come loose yet.
searcher451 likes this.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
rtp

rtp .22
Are those Meprolights the same height as the Walther OE rear sights? In other words, can I use the Ameriglo front with OE rear, and still wind up with a 6 o-clock/target sight picture that works?
Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #20
rtp

rtp .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundevil827 View Post
Actually, that's how I tend to see it happen to people, either they have a bad set of primers in their reloads, or they get 2-3 in a box of 50, which would imply that the factory had a few bad ones, and they got sorted and packed together. That's just my experience, I have no idea if that's the norm or not, but that would still be my hunch.
Honestly, I may well have grabbed the 'offending round' (would have to be two in this case) if I located it, and reloaded and shot it. Happened a month+ ago so a bit fuzzy at this point. Many things are possible, but it would be somewhat surprising, as all but 200 rounds fed through the Walther, plus a like number in the Glock, have all been my reloads w/out issue, let alone two in a row.

*shrug* Really don't know.. if it does happen again, will remember to try to locate the offending bullet, and throw it in my pocket for later examination.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page
cz 75 sp01 accu shadow for sale
ppq m2
ppq m2 competition
ppq m2 competitions
ppq m2 mag well competition

ppq m2 review

walther ppq for 3 gun

walther ppq in competition
walther ppq m2
walther ppq m2 competition

walther ppq m2 review

what sights work with walther ppq m2
Click on a term to search for related topics.