Safariland, comp-tac or Bladetech for competition/multi-use? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
rtp

rtp .22
Safariland, comp-tac or Bladetech for competition/multi-use?

I prefer to not have a half dozen holsters for my guns.
I've got a SERPA + Old Faithful IWB for my Glock, and 'that's enough,' including for competition use.

I've got an IMI roto-paddle at the moment for the PPQ M2, and will wind up with an IWB or hybrid for it at some point, but I'm looking at something that can do dual duty across competition, range, class, and occasional open carry usage. I may change my mind on the IMI, but at the moment, it's less natural feeling than the SERPA.

I know the the SERPA has it's detractors, but it's a pretty natural movement for me, and I'm somewhat stumped as to how people find their finger on the trigger unintentionally with one. Quality wise and/or standing up to someone physically trying to ripe the holster off of you - well, that's a different story, one I'm not particularly concerning myself with.

The Safariland 6378 ALS claims it's an OWB 'concealed' holster, which makes me think it's able to ride in fairly tightly to your side, and I think it has an offset or drop mount available, as well. I haven't seen a real clear picture of the retention, but seems thumb-activated, which I suppose I can get used to.

The Bladetech seems to be a huge wait time, and I'm not really sure as to why, versus the comp-tac which is in stock or seems to ship within days currently.

I think that's my real choice here, between the Safariland and Comp-tac. At some point I expect to be moving to a Safariland ELS/QLS belt for 3 gun, and I would buy a few extra receivers, for example mounting one in the car, one in my range bag (the former screwed, the latter via molle), but I expect I'd be able to drill either holster (if needed, guessing the ALS will already fit a QLS fork?) to attach to a QLS fork.

Is the Safariland that much more secure over the comp-tac, or vice versa, while still being reasonably quick to draw?
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Sundevil827 .22
To each his own on the Serpa. That's one I don't want to debate, lol, I'm with the folks who feel the design in general is unsafe, and that there is more potential for accident with it. Granted if you are safe, you are safe, but the design does leave it a little more open....

I had a 6378 ALS with my P30L, and I genuinely liked the holster, but not for competition. Raven Concealment was a tighter and better fit, but the thumb retention on the Safariland was reasonable. If I was going for a retention holster again, I'd go right back to Safariland.

No idea why the Blade-Tech takes that long, my wife had to wait on hers for quite awhile, but that was when she was lookin' for P99. Pretty much everything else I've bought, and I've bought a few this year... has been Comp-Tac and I've been satisfied. I like the product, good fit, fast ship, and for me, The International has been a win.

That said, my PPS showed up this week, and I'll check with the supporting vendors here first for an IWB, but as usual, Comp-Tac is on the list...lol, I do like 'em!
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Serenitynow .22
I like my bladetech for quickdraw stuff because it cants slightly outside at the top making for clean draws. It's not as good for concealed carry because of this but that's why I bought an AlienGear IWB for.
Sundevil827 likes this.

<<<<<<<Walther PPQ M1 9mm
>>>>>>>
Member NRA, and http://www.georgiacarry.org/
Serenitynow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
rtp

rtp .22
What didn't you like about the 6378 for comp? Slight slowdown on draw due to the thumb lever?

I'm assuming the comp-tac doesn't have a single kydex loop, but a removable backplate/mount on it? (I think the BT is a single piece, wouldn't easily be able to convert to use a QLS..)

The Raven looks ok for an IWB/OWB hybrid, but I'm not seeing it being able to attach to a QLS, either. Also seems like neither the BT nor Raven are adjustable for cant at all?

Sorry for the multiple questions, wish there was an LGS with a wider range of holsters on hand, but there isn't, and most pics don't tend to show the back of them..
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

Sundevil827 .22
I had the Safariland when I was getting into shooting, not just USPSA, and the thumb release was just an extra step for me to get the gun out of the holster, so I was not overly fond of it. I'm sure now it would be less of an issue for me, but I've already moved on to Comp-Tac, and have not looked back. It does exactly what I want a holster to do. As I said before though, if I wanted the retention, I'd definitely go back to Safariland, as I genuinely liked the holster.

The International (Comp-Tac) does have a mount so you can go from a belt holster, to a paddle based on what you prefer.

Raven are nice, I don't believe adjustable, and the wait time is incredible, I see it is not 4-6 weeks which is not bad, this past winter I want to say they were 12-16 weeks.

For competition, I'm sticking with Comp-Tac, for CCW, I'd look at both IWB and OWB, and start with the supporting vendors here, and add Comp-Tac for IWB as well, Raven for OWB. If you prefer retention, then Safariland works, I liked it, even if the retention is not my cup of tea.
rtp likes this.
Sundevil827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
rtp

rtp .22
Thanks, sundevil.
Have to love decisions you have to make 'online' vs in person on some things.
I'll flip a coin at this point, I guess.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

MacCool .22
For range or competition (3-gun) holsters, I've been a big fan of the BladeTech OWB with drop-offset. I have several of those holsters for several different guns and they've all been excellent. I don't use them for everyday carry...I prefer a plain old kydex pancake. I have a couple of Raven Concealment holsters, and several kydex that I've made myself modeled on the Ravens.
MacCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #8

CFRHunter .22
For IDPA a really like Blade Tech OWB (minus the off-set), itís legal, and still has enough standoff to make drawing easy. Iíve got 2 now, one for my Baer 1911 and 1 for my PPQ M1. I just ordered a 3rd for a S&W M&P 5Ē Pro that Iím setting up for SSP, since I have CDP and ESP covered.
I had (as in had to) a Serpa when I was in theater, Iíve never bought one for my own. I do have a couple Comp-Tacs, but just like the Blade Techs more.

Chuck
CFRHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #9

pani .22
I just had a new holster arrive this morning. It's from 101 holsters and it's the Battle belt holster
Kydex Holster Battle Belt Holster 101 holsters glock smith and wesson

I can't wait to test it on the range. It looks like it's gonna do fine.

Some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131104_154311.jpg (2.59 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_154317.jpg (2.82 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_154323.jpg (2.66 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_154330.jpg (2.75 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_154350.jpg (2.94 MB, 20 views)
Sundevil827 likes this.
pani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #10

pani .22
A couple more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131104_154359.jpg (2.75 MB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20131104_154410.jpg (2.65 MB, 22 views)
Sundevil827 likes this.
pani is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gun Matches and Shooting Competitions

Search tags for this page
blaade tech comp belt
blade tec or comp tac for idpa
blade tech holster vs comp tac competition
blade tech vs comp tac

blade tech vs comp tac for idpa

blade tech vs comp tac idpa

blade tech vs comp tech

blade tech vs safariland

blade tech vs safariland holster
can i use my safariland 6378 idpa holster for uspsa shooting
comp tac vs safariland

will the blade-tech owb holster work with the safariland els system

Click on a term to search for related topics.