WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #21

BB57 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJK View Post
In the old days we knew how to fill our own reusable jugs. What is it with people today!? (or maybe their water isn't fit to drink.)
My wife and I both dive rebreathers, and the CO2 absorbent comes in 44 pound kegs, that are made from heavy plastic with an air tight cap. Once empty and rinsed they make excellent water jugs that hold 7 gallons. I have 70 gallons on a shelf in the garage, in addition to a couple cases of bottled water. If it looks like we're going to get hit, I seal the drain in the bath tub with duct tape to eliminate any minor leaks and fill it as well.

I also try to keep 30 gallons of stabilized fuel on hand during hurricane season to run the generator.
BB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #22

balance .22
I'm reading these posts, and out of both concern and curiosity, I ask, why not leave until the weather settles down?

For the price of a polymer pistol, you would probably have enough for gas, food, and a bed for a few nights in a safer area. Why would you risk it with reports of 185mph winds?
sunny08 likes this.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #23

sunny08 .22
My heart goes out to those in hurricane territory. But I also have a concern. Why not have a bug out plan? Board up the homestead and be safe and secure somewhere else. I can imagine the response and I would probably say the same thing, easier said than done. But in any case, best wishes and good look. My prayers are with you.
sunny08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #24

surrealone .38
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #25
BJK

BJK .22
One reason to not leave might be looting. Yah, I know "stuff" isn't worth a life, but it can be difficult to give up what a lifetime has built up just to have a looter take it.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:26 PM   #26
BJK

BJK .22
You might also consider water filters. They have no expiration date and always work. The last time I used chemicals for water purification the halazone tabs had an expiration (it's been decades). Of course plain bleach can also be used. But frankly all of that stuff tastes terrible. I just can't drink that stuff.

The first thing missed is water (as you know). Our last mild hurricane, compared to what you folks get, knocked out our power. I just got out a Katadyn and filtered the runoff for our drinking water. It was clear and not the yucky looking (and filter clogging) stuff that Texas has. But anyone can collect rain water.

Then when we had the 4" ice storm same deal... melted the ice and filtered it for drinking.

Our clear filtered runoff and such tastes good and the filter makes it safe.

Katadyn is one name but there are plenty of others. Some will filter out purification chemicals, Katadyn won't to any meaningful degree.
BJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #27

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
Dam Olsoul, you may just have to load up on beer.
Fixed that for ya.... 1917
imaoldfart and GeoNole94 like this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #28

1917-1911M .38
I'm not sure I've ever heard of a hurricane having 185 mph winds...tornado, yes.....absolutely destructive....nothing left but the foundation, sometimes not even that. This appears to be an extremely bad hurricane. Hope it turns north and heads for the open Atlantic. 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #29

P99pete .22
It don't look like it will head for the open Atlantic. Just about all the current models project landfall in Florida. All you guys there, hope you stay safe.

Government, in all forms, is just controlled oppression.

People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. -V

Getting old and cranky in my old age, just like old men are supposed to be.
P99pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #30
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
The problem Ken is that by the time we know it might be necessary to evacuate it will be too late to do so. Being stuck halfway across the state in a hurricane isn't exactly a good thing.

Lisa and I may need to be on hand as 2nd tier responders anyway.
olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Search tags for this page

news

Click on a term to search for related topics.