WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Bring Back the Draft

This article brings up an issue I've been touting for some time now, even having blogged on it a year ago. It's way past time to bring back the draft because we as a country have failed the all-volunteer military. It's also not right to exempt 99% of the nation from the responsibility of fighting this nation's wars.

U.S. military and civilians are increasingly divided

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

bigfatdave .38
I'm opposed to slavery. Conscription is slavery.

I volunteered, and I wouldn't want to be working with a conscript.

Offer better pay & benefits if the numbers need shoring up.
Any mission important enough to consider random enslavement for is worth paying some extra cash for.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
It's about shared sacrifice in times of defense of the nation. We no longer as a nation share in the sacrifice of war. Instead, we pawn off the responsibility of defense to others, then sit back without a word of protest as our leaders pull us into wars when no national security issues are at stake. All because our sons and daughters are exempt, and we don't feel any pain even to the point of paying taxes sufficient to run the war effort.

I personally find that reprehensible, and not what this country is about, at least up until recently. If someone doesn't feel the joint responsibility to defend their nation and considers doing so slavery, well . . . .

Let us just say that I vehemently disagree.

Last edited by UniversalExports; 05-24-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #4

colt .22
Never was so much,owed by so many,to so few.-Winston Churchill
colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Vulcan .22
This is an issue that evokes a lot of conflicting feelings for me. My family, me included, has had a tradition of serving in the military for many generations to include the Civil War and as far back as the Revolution; there are more than our family share of blood and bones scattered in various places here and in other parts of the globe. Serving was something that was never demanded, but just simply done.

I don't have a solution as to whether universal service should or should not be mandatory, but I will say without reservation that those who do not owe a considerable degree of gratitude to those who did. I will also say that those who excoriate the men and women who have selflessly given time, life and limb and those who would needlessly sacrifice the finest our nation has to offer are worthy of an extra special place in Hell.
UniversalExports likes this.

Last edited by Vulcan; 05-24-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
I blogged on this very issue last year, so this L.A. Times article just leaped out at me. Indeed, I just reblogged last year's Memorial Day post just for that very reason:

Memorial Day Missive Redux

Old 05-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

SpartanRN .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalExports View Post
It's about shared sacrifice in times of defense of the nation. ...
When the time comes to defend the nation, then Americans will do what is best and they will enlist. Look at 9/11 -- lots of people voluntarily joined the armed forces after that tragedy. But then when you start going off-course and doing things that civilians and soldiers don't agree with, then you're not going to have many people enlisting.

This is a FREE country. You cannot ask people to risk their lives; you cannot ask people to sacrifice their sons and daughters; you cannot force people to fight a fight that's not their fight. Conscription in the United States has never been effective, with the exemption of WW2 and that's only because that was a true time of need.

We each SERVE our nation in different ways. I used to be a medic, and am now an ED RN. I do my part in society. Someone else might be a mechanic. Someone else might be a police officer. We each do our part, even if it means putting on a different uniform.

And I'd like to add that to say otherwise, that we're just riding our freedom, is downright disrespectful. Basically, you're telling me that what I do means nothing. That I don't do anything to serve this nation. That just because I don't strap on boots and pick up a gun, I am not giving back.
bigfatdave likes this.

Last edited by searcher451; 05-24-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: bandwidth
SpartanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #8

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
I can tell you this; if the US of A got into a war and were running low on fighters, I'd have already been in.

I've got three kids now and not yet into my 40's, so....if I became a sacrifice to help my land of birth, so be it. many people have died with better intentions for far less gain.

God Bless all those who have fell on the fields of battle while carrying the Stars and Stripes. They are without a doubt heroes of the finest kind.

Doesn't matter what century the fight was, it is always the same...fighting to provide freedom from tyranny. If it comes down to it, count me in.
I'd like to think that I'd be in good company, though filling some big big shoes.
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #9

34926 .22
Almost every time some tells me "thank you for your service", I hear the unspoken "better you than me". Anyone else feel the same?
michael t, charlievee and RDQ-40 like this.
34926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

34926 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanRN View Post
When the time comes to defend the nation, then Americans will do what is best and they will enlist.
History says otherwise. Even WWII, as clear as that cause was, did not have enough volunteers. Conscription was required.
34926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion