Going to the dark side - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

f100owner .22
Going to the dark side

When it comes to guns, particularly pistols and revolvers, I have always considered myself a traditionalist and I think my esoteric collection shows it:
RIA 1911 Government, Interarms Walther PPK/s, Bersa Thunder380 (older one), Model 13 and 65 S&W revolvers, Colt Agent Revolver, CZ 75B, an aging High-Standard 22 pistol. My long gun collection reflects it too: model 81 Remington in .35, Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, Remington Model 700 in .243, Winchester Model 1894 in 30.30, Remington 1100 shotguns, Savage side-by-side and a few more. I long for a M-1 Garande and an M1-carbine.
I think that gathering of guns would be an indication of a traditional, albeit old-fashioned view on firearms.
Lately I feel the pull to the dark side. I think the first indication of it was when I purchased a Taurus PT709 (think PPS) about a year ago. But it had issues and three vacations in Miami where it was "repaired." So the dealer took it in trade on a 9mm 1911. Dark side behind me.
Then about 3 weeks ago, I finally bought what I really wanted when I bought the Taurus, the Walther PPS. I admired its simple looks and compactness.
Monday, my wife selected a gen-4 Glock 19 in 9mm as her first very-own high-power pistol. She has been shooting my K-frames when she goes to the range with me and does well with them.
She would have gone with either the Walther PPQ or the Beretta Storm if another salesman had not mentioned "has she tried a Glock." When they handed her the Glock, I knew my hopes of a PPQ entering our collection was dashed. My wife had handled countless semi's that day from S&W, Beretta, Ruger, Sig, Walther and CZ. All over about 1.5 hours. The Beretta, PPQ, a Taurus 24/7, along with the Glocks all shared one thing in particular. She could comfortably rack the slide, plus they pointed well for her.
So a Glock is there now.
After getting it home and having some time to check it out, I actually started admiring it. Field stripped it and my PPS and laid them side-by-side and I was amazed at the similarities. Weather and work have kept us from taking it out and doing any shooting.
What's next, an AR-15?
f100owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

Dave_I .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhunter1959 View Post
When it comes to guns, particularly pistols and revolvers, I have always considered myself a traditionalist and I think my esoteric collection shows it:

[snip]

So a Glock is there now.
After getting it home and having some time to check it out, I actually started admiring it.
I can relate. I thought I would be all 1911s and .357 Magnum revolvers. I do not have a Glock, however when checking out polymer options I found myself growing fonder of them. I value functionality and can admire the form following function in that case. Holding them I found I did not hate them. I went with the PPQ due to the trigger, ergonomics, and grip angle as much as anything else. And yes, they are sexier than Glocks. Still, after hearing how great Glocks were from one of my 1911-loving friends and how if he had to pick one gun to carry that is what it would be, it really had me leaning that way. I just wanted something that aimed/shot more-or-less the same as what I was used to and the PPQ was a bit closer to that and in function seems fairly Glock-inspired in some regards.

Point being I can relate and do not hate Glocks anymore. They are not my first choice, however I can definitely appreciate the design and reputation for reliability.

Quote:
What's next, an AR-15?
That's funny. My dad's a Vietnam vet and he never cared for the M16 platform after the early ones jammed up so bad on them in the early days. He's very much a fan of the M14's though. I always joke he should get an AR-15, and I'm interested in getting into them, however I do like the feel, aesthetics, and history (amongst other things) of the M14 and even just the overall design of a gun with a nice wood stock and that heritage of that style of gun. Maybe not the same thing, however your post made me think of my dad and how he'd sort of walk past the more modern designs and go for the old faithful M14 when looking at rifles and it was almost like picking up an old friend. I cannot really imagine him warming up to an AR-15 in quite the same way.

-Cheers
Dave_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

bigfatdave .38
Both Blocks and the PPS borrow heavily from solid and tested JMB designs.
Monolithic slide and bolt
Barrel locks into top of slide
Barrel unlocks downward at beginning of recoil
Controlled feed guided by extractor
Frame-mounted ejector

There are more similarities than differences in most autoloading handguns ... because most of the brilliant ideas are from <1940 ... if JMB didn't invent it, the PP or P38 did.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #4

153 .22
While I long understood the durability/reliability of the Glock, I never had the desire to own one. Then I started watching Hickok45 on the Youtube and noticed how well the Glock sits in the hand and how accurate they were. He really opened my eyes - and I shoot every week with friends who have two or three Glocks - go figure.

I bought the Model 19, then a 26, 27 and just a few days ago an older Model 17. I took a sip of the "cool-aid", then drank the whole pitcher.

Great design, accurate, simple to take apart, light to carry and available in decent chamberings. They work too!

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Sc0tt .22
Quote:
What's next, an AR-15?

it only took ONE time of me shooting an AR to be completely and hopelessly addicted to them. i bought a DPMS bull20 and heavily modified it, then built one from scratch 2 months later. i will build more. be very careful about going the AR route, as there's no turning back once you go down that road...........
Sc0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #6

Dave_I .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
While I long understood the durability/reliability of the Glock, I never had the desire to own one. Then I started watching Hickok45 on the Youtube and noticed how well the Glock sits in the hand and how accurate they were.
Eh, maybe for you. Obviously they do for a lot of people. I kind of admire Glock for what they have accomplished in spite of the fact they do not set well in my hand and they do not feel all that great to me. Plus, although I am sure they are accurate, the grip angle is annoying to me. I like the standard pistol grip angle, and by "standard" I mean my 1911 and the rest of my pistols and the ones my dad and I have all kind of aim the same. I also think they fit too clunky and clumsily. Again, this is coming from the sleek & sexy grips & ergonomics of the 1911. I have only handled Glocks and I am sure I could get used to them. Still, for me it would suck going from Glocks to the other semi-automatics and the revolvers I have at my disposal.

-Cheers
Dave_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #7

ActionExpress .22
Quote:
RIA 1911 Government, Interarms Walther PPK/s, Bersa Thunder380 (older one), Model 13 and 65 S&W revolvers, Colt Agent Revolver, CZ 75B, an aging High-Standard 22 pistol. My long gun collection reflects it too: model 81 Remington in .35, Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, Remington Model 700 in .243, Winchester Model 1894 in 30.30, Remington 1100 shotguns, Savage side-by-side and a few more. I long for a M-1 Garande and an M1-carbine.
I think that gathering of guns would be an indication of a traditional, albeit old-fashioned view on firearms.
Lately I feel the pull to the dark side. I think the first indication of it was when I purchased a Taurus PT709 (think PPS) about a year ago. But it had issues and three vacations in Miami where it was "repaired." So the dealer took it in trade on a 9mm 1911. Dark side behind me.
Then about 3 weeks ago, I finally bought what I really wanted when I bought the Taurus, the Walther PPS. I admired its simple looks and compactness.
Monday, my wife selected a gen-4 Glock 19 in 9mm as her first very-own high-power pistol. She has been shooting my K-frames when she goes to the range with me and does well with them.
She would have gone with either the Walther PPQ or the Beretta Storm if another salesman had not mentioned "has she tried a Glock." When they handed her the Glock, I knew my hopes of a PPQ entering our collection was dashed. My wife had handled countless semi's that day from S&W, Beretta, Ruger, Sig, Walther and CZ. All over about 1.5 hours. The Beretta, PPQ, a Taurus 24/7, along with the Glocks all shared one thing in particular. She could comfortably rack the slide, plus they pointed well for her.
So a Glock is there now.
After getting it home and having some time to check it out, I actually started admiring it. Field stripped it and my PPS and laid them side-by-side and I was amazed at the similarities. Weather and work have kept us from taking it out and doing any shooting.
What's next, an AR-15?
I love my 19 Gen4. I like the new grip texture, I like the recoil spring, I like the simple slide serrations (reminds me of a G.I 1911). Most of all, I love how well I can punch holes in paper and knock pop cans over with it.

I had temptations to sell/trade it as I wanted to put the cash towards something else, but I just can't do it...lol

Oh, and DPMS is my favorite AR..
ActionExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #8

Roadrunner .22
Of course is you truly desire the Dark Side there are always AKs and H&K.
One represents the most prevalent assault rifle on the planet, the other is I dissertation in Teutonic precision and attention to detail. Both represent the word RELIABLE! Dale
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #9

quikdraw67 .22
Had Glocks, past tense.

They are good, reliable pistols, but I just never got into them like other pistols.

I'm reading "Glock - America's Gun", pretty amazing that an Austrian company that never made a firearms became THE sidearm of choice for US police departments.
Walther PP .32
Walther PP .380
Walther PPK/s .380
Walther P5
Walther P5 Compact
Walther P88
quikdraw67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
Supporting Member

uncut .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikdraw67 View Post
I'm reading "Glock - America's Gun", pretty amazing that an Austrian company that never made a firearms became THE sidearm of choice for US police departments.
It is changing slowly..... the S&W "M&P" line found its way into leo market
S&W is offering a one on one trade to a lot of departments

Nothing but the best for the best

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Search tags for this page
glock 19 gen 4 vs ppq
glock 19 gen 4 vs walther ppq

glock 19 vs walther ppq

glock 26 vs walther pps

ppq vs glock 19
walther ppq

walther ppq vs glock 19

walther ppq vs pps
walther ppq vs taurus
walther ppq vs taurus 24/7
walther ppq vs. glock 19 ease of care

walther pps vs glock 19

Click on a term to search for related topics.